Cinema's greatest classics

@ajay124

Nice to know that you don't have a TV connection at your home.Very bold and certainly a matter of taste-an aggressive one to boot.Your daughter is lucky.

Sometimes I take a glance at music channels and even watch run-of-the-mill movies.Just out of a deep sense of curiosity to know how badly a story-if there is one at all- can be told.Same disease,anyone!?

On another thread theredcommando wanted to know:

"What is so great about Winter Light?"

Since the beginning of 2012 I have been asking myself:

What is so great about any film or work of fiction?

I have watched a lot of films and read a lot of fiction in the past....but I indulge in both these pastimes much less frequently now. There are many complicated reasons for my current boredom and indifference, but I am going to mention only one. A highly personal reason, which may or may not make sense to others.

I am bored with watching or reading imaginary stories. Every film or book is supposed to have a plot or a story. But a story is nothing more than a figment of somebody's imagination. It is an author's attempt at fabricating reality. An attempt which no longer seems convincing to me. The very word fiction means something that is not factual or real. And why should something which is not real or factual interest us?

Mainstream films seem like children's fairy tales. Art house films seem like grown up fairy tales. When we are young we get influenced or inspired at the drop of a hat. All the secrets of the universe seem to be within reach. But as one grows older, life may start seeming like the parcel game which children play. Every unravelling of the parcel reveals another layer. But when the music finally stops and the last wrapping is uncovered, we may find there is nothing inside.

I am neither disillusioned nor unhappy with life. I am intrigued by the fact one is born in ignorance and dies in ignorance. Any meaning that we choose to give to life has to come from within. A film with a plot or a story can amuse or entertain but it can rarely provide any meaningful knowledge.

The reason is very simple.In spite of of making so much progress in our collective life,or civilization as a whole,it doesn't get reflected in our personal life.And thereof comes the angst of existence.Meaninglessness is not what we are but what we make of life.

@ajay124

I know you are a cultured man.Ever tried to resort to Upanisads?

The Chandigarh Film Society has finally emerged from a long period of hibernation. A festival of new films from the European Union is on the cards.

Date: July 8-July 14
Venue: Bhargava Auditorium, P.G.I.
Time: 6 pm daily
Admission: Free

Films (in screening order):
Wedding And Other Disasters/Italy/2010/Nina Di Majo
Apricot Island/Slovakia/2011/Peter Bebjack
Aching Hearts/Denmark/2009/Nils Malmros
Camino/Spain/2008/Javier Fesser
A Friend Of Mine/Estonia/2011/Mart Kivastik
Chameleon/Hungary/2008/Krisztina Goda
Touch Of Spice/Greece/2003/Tassos Boulmetis
If You Love/Finland/2010/Neil Hardwick

* A blue ray disc player is required on 12th July. Please send me a pm if anybody can help in arranging one.

Trust me, this about to change very soon or i should say these days in reality this is mostly not the case. :)

Its been almost entirely a man's world for 2000 years now. In the west and in the east. I don't think anything is going to change in the 21st century.
By and large this is how mainstream cinema treats women:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oDRf-rLscY

Last edited:
santu

Ever tried to resort to Upanisads?

A few years ago, while wondering around a book fair, I bought copies of The Principal Upanisads by S. Radhakrishnan and The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. Unfortunately both the books having been lying virtually unread in my library ever since.

Reading has been my major hobby, pastime and addiction since childhood. Earlier it used to seem easy to finish reading a book like War And Peace in 4-5 sessions. But lately I have lost the habit of reading big books. One chapter of Plato or Neitzsche or a few poems by Neruda, Baudelaire or Pessoa is the most I can manage in one session. And even these sessions have become quite infrequent.

One reason may be that I require reading glasses for a comfortable reading experience but I seldom use them. But a bigger reason is that surfing on the global-village-web for 6-7 hours everyday has reduced my attention span and destroyed my ability to concentrate. Skipping through our favorite websites requires considerably less effort than reading Tolstoy or Dostoevsky. A computer does not entirely reduce you to existing like a couch potato in the way that television or a newspaper can do but it does damage and deplete your physical and mental energy. It enables you to quickly and effortlessly gather the information that you want but in the process one loses the habit of slogging away at a book or a reference text. We may have become better informed but perhaps less knowledgeable in the process.

"The endless cycle of idea and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word.
All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance,
All our ignorance brings us nearer to death,
But nearness to death no nearer to GOD.
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
The cycles of Heaven in twenty centuries
Bring us farther from GOD and nearer to the Dust."
-T.S.Eliot

I may have viewed possibly a 150+ films made in the 21st century. Most of them would be those which were screened at the International Film Festival of Goa. There would be perhaps a dozen films which I really enjoyed and which immediately come to mind. But the best film has been Emir Kusturica's Life Is A Miracle. I have viewed this film 6-7 times on DVD with immense pleasure on every screening. Kusturica along with Tarkovsky, Bergman, Bunuel and Fassbinder are among my favorite film makers. But these days whenever I want to revisit good films from the past it is usually a Kusturica DVD which I pull out of the shelf.

What do I consider to be a good film? Rather than a wordy, long winded statement I would point at the films which Kusturica has been making since the early 80's.

Do You Remember Dolly Bell? (1981)
When Father Was Away On Business (1985)
Time Of The Gypsies (1988)
Arizona Dreams (1993)
Underground (1995)
Black Cat White Cat (1998)
Life Is A Miracle (2004)
Promise Me This (2007)
(The ones which I have been able to watch are marked in bold)

Kusturica effortlessly combines the substance, depth and lyrical beauty of good art house cinema, with the energy, excitement and entertainment of good mainstream cinema. Life is a Miracle....and Cinema is a Miracle.... in the hands of this master film maker from Serbia.

''What you have now is a Hollywood that is pure poison,'' Kusturica says. ''Hollywood was a central place in the history of art in the 20th century: it was human idealism preserved. And then, like any great place, it collapsed, and it collapsed into the most awful machinery in the world. Why don't I see a Frank Capra today? Because people aren't like this anymore? People haven't changed that much in 60 years.''
-Emir Kusturica in NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/08/magazine/08EMIR.html?pagewanted=all

'I will not cut my film' | Film | The Guardian

Its been almost entirely a man's world for 2000 years now. In the west and in the east. I don't think anything is going to change in the 21st century.

Change is inevitable,it has never been a man's world AFAIK.

We like it or not, the most powerful human in India is a woman.

By and large this is how mainstream cinema treats women:
Tu Cheez.Badi Hai Mast-Mohra - YouTube

I am not sure how mainstream is defined but in most popular movies men and woman are treated the same way.Not just popular movies, even in movies which some people might consider as art men and woman have been portrayed in a far worse manner.

Man and woman can never be equal,women are more powerful men are simply weak.At a glance the world may seem male dominated but in reality when we do a reality check in depth it is actually women who control this world.

I respect your personal opinion, i guess a lot of personal factors are involved when some one comes to a conclusion what is greater or which is better.

Last edited:
longshanks

I too respect your personal opinion. Life is never black or white. It is usually an indistinctive shade of grey from which we all derive varying conclusions. In real life a woman is quite often the power centre in her circle. But most of the political and financial power in just about every nation of the world is still in male hands.

I have seen very few Indian films where men and women are treated equally. During the early 80's some parallel cinema films did have strong and credible women portayed by Smita Patil and Shabana Azmi but by and large Bollywood films have always been hero-centric. Sharmila Tagore never had as much clout as Rajesh Khanna. Hema Malini never had as much clout as Dharmender. Rekha never had as much clout as Amitabh. And Kajol, Madhuri or Vidya Balan never had or will ever have the clout of Shahrukh, Aamir or Hrithik.

We like it or not, the most powerful human in India is a woman.

The subcontinent has seen many women heads of state (and almost head of state if one wants to include Sonia gandhi). However, all of them have reached there because of their association with powerful dead men.

Benazeer Bhutto - Daughter of Zulfikaar Bhutto
Indira Gandhi - Daughter of Nehru
Bandarnayake - Widow of Solomon Bandarnayake
Khalida Zia - Widow of Zia Ur Rahman
Sheikh Hasina - Daughter of Muzibur Rahman
Sonia - Widow of Rajiv Gandhi

The rise of these women probably has more to do with our feudal mindset than the real status of women in the society. I am still waiting for a Golda Meir or a Thatcher in India.

Last edited:
Many decades ago mainstream cinema entered into a never, never land, a disneyland from which there is very little likelihood that it will ever emerge. The sea of cinema has turned placid and 'new waves' are a dying phenomenon. Once in a while there is thunder and lightning, a storm gathers over the dying sea and a few drops of rain fall on the parched land.

One such storm originated in 1995 when Lars Von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg got together and designed the Dogme 95 manifesto. A manifesto which, for a little while, breathed new life into Danish and international cinema.

Dogme 95: The Vow of Chastity (abridged)

Dogme 95 movies list

Yesterday I viewed Lars Von Trier's Dancer In The Dark. I would recommend this film to everyone. This film is rather special. It flies in the face of a lot of stuff which is normally considered 'cinema'. A superb effort from LVT and Bjork (the singer/songwriter from Iceland), who has scored the music and is cast in the lead role.

Dancer in the Dark (2000) - Official Trailer - YouTube

One intriguing movie i watched over the weekend was The Conversation by Francis Ford Copolla....
Gene Hackman plays a reclusive, intensely private surveillance pro whose current assignment is to record a conversation between a young couple....
It may interest audiophiles that Hackman's character designs his own equipment , plays jazz on his tenor saxophone at home (sometimes accompanying the music played on his vinyl through what looks very much like a pair DIY speakers....)
there are various sound related contraptions on display...
the movie is a slow moving, 'psychological thriller' quite cerebral, open ended ...
people who do such things may also extract much philosophic juice out of the movie's premise...
in the end it broke my heart to see how he rips apart his whole apartment looking for that elusive bug (watch the movie to realise we are not talking about an insect here )...

Gene Hackman is one of the better Hollywood actors. He brings an immensely human quality to the roles he plays. Some good films starring Gene Hackman:

Mississipi Burning
The French Connection
The Poseidon Adventure
Bonnie & Clyde
Get Shorty
Night Moves
Unforgiven

True they don't take good movies like these anymore. When I first saw "Seven Samurai" I was so impressed akira kurosawa masterpiece. So many countless movies in so many languages was inspired by this movie.

The next one I recently saw and was blown away was "12 Angry Men". What a movie, direction, screenplay, dialogues is out of the world. One of the Sidney Lumet all time great. The character study in this movie simply awesome.

True they don't take good movies like these anymore. When I first saw "Seven Samurai" I was so impressed akira kurosawa masterpiece. So many countless movies in so many languages was inspired by this movie.

The next one I recently saw and was blown away was "12 Angry Men". What a movie, direction, screenplay, dialogues is out of the world. One of the Sidney Lumet all time great. The character study in this movie simply awesome.
12 Angry Men is a damn good one.

Gene Hackman is one of the better Hollywood actors. He brings an immensely human quality to the roles he plays. Some good films starring Gene Hackman:

Mississipi Burning
The French Connection
The Poseidon Adventure
Bonnie & Clyde
Get Shorty
Night Moves
Unforgiven

Thanks for listing some unseen movies by Gene Hackman. I am surely going to dive in.

I would like to add a few more movies which I have watched and liked his role and dynamic acting -
Behind Enemy Lines (Superb)
Crimson Tide (Loved it)
Enemy of the State (Short role but great)

+1 from me as well.

Watch The Hidden Fortress by Kurosawa... my first exposure to him as a kid... have been hooked on him and Japanese flicks since then!

Mississipi Burning
The French Connection
The Poseidon Adventure
Bonnie & Clyde
Get Shorty
Night Moves
Unforgiven

You missed 'The Firm'.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Back