Citibank Cards - New Facility

shailenderb

Citibank is offering a new facility to its card holders to buy equipment from US and UK. They have tied up with Borderlinx (or is it also owned by Citi?).

All one has to do is to go to Citibank card site and follow the Global Shopping link. Once you register with BL (for free), you will be provided with two local addresses one in US and another in UK both belonging to BL. From there, the merchandise is shipped to your address in India. They have also provided with a rate calculator which would tell you (in US$) the total cost including shipping and customs duty. Citi India will debit your card only after BL confirms despatch from its end. Useful for items that are delivered only to US / UK addresses. Purchases can be made from any site in these countries, including Amazon, Ebay etc.

Thought this may be useful for some of you.

Warm Regds / Shailender

great news for all those who wanted to buy their OPPOS, DACs and and even used LPs from US and UK.
If somebody uses this facility please post your exprenience.

wouldnt touch a citibank credit card with a 10 feet pole:lol:. have heard too many bad experiences from people.

wouldnt touch a citibank credit card with a 10 feet pole:lol:. have heard too many bad experiences from people.

Exactly! I'm actually in the process of identifying which of my friends have a Citibank CC! No luck so far though... :eek:hyeah:

I am one of the poor guys who was squeezed, shrunk, harassed, threatened, and used foul language on by Citibank. After doing all this, they sent me a brand new card that is eating dust somewhere.

Cheers

Ya, same with me. Their service is very bad. Like if a huge amount is being swiped by your card, you never get any intimation either by SMS or email stating the same. If I complain to the CC, they claim that service in not there. So if there is some type of fraudalant going on, unless you get your monthly bill, or checking your bills online frequently..........you will never know.

Every other banks like HSBC, HDFC......... immediately sends and SMS to our mobile when a trans above 5k is done.

cheers.

Ya, same with me. Their service is very bad. Like if a huge amount is being swiped by your card, you never get any intimation either by SMS or email stating the same. If I complain to the CC, they claim that service in not there. So if there is some type of fraudalant going on, unless you get your monthly bill, or checking your bills online frequently..........you will never know.

Every other banks like HSBC, HDFC......... immediately sends and SMS to our mobile when a trans above 5k is done.

cheers.

I have been getting sms alerts for any amount above 5K. Had no problems with them in the last 15 yrs.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Seems to be a good option - For ex. Oppo BDP-83 the prices are the following:

Estimated charges to India Item USD INR
Duty $ 22.74 INR 1074.93
Taxes $ 73.90 INR 3493.29
Shipping (7.65 kg) $ 69.50 INR 3285.30
Total shipping charges $ 166.14 INR 7853.53
Plus original product value $ 499.00 INR 23588.01
Total cost $ 665.14 INR 31441.55

This seems much better than 20North, if actually true.

I've had a Citi credit card for about 8 years without any problem. I too get SMS and email alerts for transactions above a certain threshold, all for free. Not sure why people are thinking otherwise. I've had good and bad experience with several banks. Notably, ICICI has been the bottom of the barrel for me. HSBC has been a good experience on the other hand.

Where Citi stands out from the rest is their website. It is arguably the best website for online banking, IMHO.

I have Citibank card and Suvidha account for the last 10 years and never had any issues. Tried this option on Borderlinx and found that it is cheaper than 20North. See one example for Panasonic BD-60 Bluray player

In Borderlinx
Duty $ 6.96 INR 329.00
Taxes $ 22.65 INR 1070.67
Shipping (4.05 kg) $ 46.75 INR 2209.89
Total shipping charges $ 76.36 INR 3609.58
Plus original product value $ 127.49 INR 6026.52
Total cost $ 203.85 INR 9636.10

In 20North
Rs.11954 (Non gift: Original product value Rs 8463)
Rs.10185 (Gift: Original product value Rs 6694)

AFAIK, a state in the US would levy a tax only if the product is being shipped to a location within the state. Not otherwise. Ofcourse, I could be wrong...

AFAIK, a state in the US would levy a tax only if the product is being shipped to a location within the state. Not otherwise. Ofcourse, I could be wrong...

As per the web site, their US address is a dummy address for all the orders and the goods are delivered to that address and they are shipping it from there, so that we can order any goods which are not shipped outside US also.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back