Class D Amplifiers

In case you havent ordered the components, I forgot to mention that Hypex modules( they have a website) are considered to be among the best Class D units available. They have different models, 180/400/700wpc.

Yes, that's the one based on the thread at the circle. :)

I've ordered & generated the invoice but have not wired the payment to accommodate Gruby's suggestion of going for one with IRF chips.

Now that I'm sure that they are the same ones Gruby suggested, I can confidently order the module I guess.

But George has brought another dimension to the discussion. I browsed their website Hypex UcD? - AS2 They are so many modules, I'm thoroughly confused.

Never mind the cost, which amongst them is the best to suit my objective of making the best sounding DIY Class D Amp?

...Never mind the cost, which amongst them is the best to suit my objective of making the best sounding DIY Class D Amp?

Might be useful if you could request comparisions both at the circle and DIYA between the UcDs and the Class D's. FWIW, in the audiocircle thread, there are 2 different users who rate the D's atleast as good or better than the UcD's as well as W4S which use ICE modules. You could probably try PM'ing them for detailed impressions. :)

The UCD400HG with the HxR regulators should do what you need. The 180HG is also a good bet if you don't need too much power (you should assume around 50% power so you have sufficient headroom).

Never heard them though, so you'll be the first brave soul I know to spend that kind of cash.

Thank you Cranky for your suggestion.

Someone has to be brave, right;)

Sent him an enquiry Spirovious. Sincde he is in Chennai, he may be willing for an auditioning.:)

Well,if you can get audition ,like it & has few more left ,then let me know.
They are claiming to get good power & audiophile grade.

Rajesh

I suggest you do a little research before "pulling the trigger"-I think that's the appropriate phrase to use for an army guy!

HYpex modules are well rated and have been around for some years, and there is a link on diyaudio. Second Kevin Haskins of diycable, who offers all kinds of diy stuff used to offer a 2 channle and 5 channel amp using these parts for many years and rates them well-he is someone who is both honest and experienced, read this link for more info and pricing, though he has stopped offering them now, saying that they were not generating enough profits.

Latest Amplifier Builds

George

Thank you very much Gruby. I wish I has atleast half of the enthusiasm levels that you have.:D

Considering that's about all I have right about now, you're most welcome! :D

Looks like a new 'Super D' series will be out from Class D with added features like balanced inputs, adjustable gain, ability to drive loads as low as 1.5 ohms:

Class D Audio Amp Kits

Also, looks like there's a 5% discount for Audiocircle users...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Spiro

The chap replied that he is not ready for auditioning. Looks like a shady character.

Regards

Rajesh

I suggest you do a little research before "pulling the trigger"-I think that's the appropriate phrase to use for an army guy!

:D:D nice one.

Hi

Let's discuss & finalise the kit to be procured (You, me & Gruby). Class D IRF or Hypex? BTW, the cost is on me.:cool:

Regards

Rajesh:)

Last edited:
I found an amplifier ClassD TDA8929BTH Chip, NXP Semiconductor ..
in Class d amplifier : Class D co.uk
anyone knows the technical specifications?
It is a good option to mount my amplifier 1 ClassD?
thanks!
TDA8920BTHX700.jpg

Ive heard of thousands of Indians flying out to USA chasing their $$$ dreams. But in my case, USA has come calling chasing my musical dreams. :p Months of my quest for my dream amp has finally come to an end or rather, it is a beginning of my pursuit for achieving Audio nirvana. The pics, (downloaded from their website) are attached.

After months of delay, I finally received the Class D Amp CDA 254 with its low profile power supply from US. It cost me Rs. 8800/- including freight + Rs. 668/- towards Customs + Rs. 32/- for tipping the postman.:D

After keeping it idle for two weeks in my search for torodial transformer, I took it to an audio electronics guy yesterday evening. We connected the amp to the supplied Low Profile Power Supply and linked it up to an old 10 Amp Audio Transformer with a secondary output of 30V AC. As a result, the DC output from the power supply would be 42.3V, slightly less than the optimum operating range of 45V to 60V of the Amp.

We powered up the setup without load. One set of blue LEDs each of the Amp & Power Supply have come to life beautifully. We connected the right channel to a Chinese Tower speaker. The first sound from the Amp was well, music to my ears. We then powered down and connected the second channel as well. We played a couple of tracks and the setup was working nicely.

We then connected the Amp to Torvin two-way tower speakers and played the B&W demo disk through my Marantz 6003. Wow, my jaw just dropped!!! What a music!!! All the instruments have come alive. Superb vocals, taut percussions, silky smooth strings, lively trumpets and saxophones!! The sound is clean but not clinical musical but not warm. The transients, the decay are so lively that it has to be heard to be believed. :yahoo:

After playing for half an hour, I took it and headed home. Connected it to my 85db 8 ohm towers on one side and my Marantz to the other.

My trusted old friend, Sashi Kumar who just came back from office after a stressful day was game enough to come over and we listened to all types of music, from Pop to Rock, from Western Classic to Jazz over a few shots of Antiquity

We had a blast till about midnight. There is not even an iota of listening fatigue. Hats off to Tom of Class D Audio.:clapping:

Last edited:
Ive heard of thousands of Indians flying out to USA chasing their $$$ dreams. But in my case, USA has come calling chasing my musical dreams. :p Months of my quest for my dream amp has finally come to an end or rather, it is a beginning of my pursuit for achieving Audio nirvana. The pics, (downloaded from their website) are attached.

After months of delay, I finally received the Class D Amp CDA 254 with its low profile power supply from US. It cost me Rs. 8800/- including freight + Rs. 668/- towards Customs + Rs. 32/- for tipping the postman.:D

After keeping it idle for two weeks in my search for torodial transformer, I took it to an audio electronics guy yesterday evening. We connected the amp to the supplied Low Profile Power Supply and linked it up to an old 10 Amp Audio Transformer with a secondary output of 30V AC. As a result, the DC output from the power supply would be 42.3V, slightly less than the optimum operating range of 45V to 60V of the Amp.

We powered up the setup without load. One set of blue LEDs each of the Amp & Power Supply have come to life beautifully. We connected the right channel to a Chinese Tower speaker. The first sound from the Amp was well, music to my ears. We then powered down and connected the second channel as well. We played a couple of tracks and the setup was working nicely.

We then connected the Amp to Torvin two-way tower speakers and played the B&W demo disk through my Marantz 6003. Wow, my jaw just dropped!!! What a music!!! All the instruments have come alive. Superb vocals, taut percussions, silky smooth strings, lively trumpets and saxophones!! The sound is clean but not clinical musical but not warm. The transients, the decay are so lively that it has to be heard to be believed. :yahoo:

After playing for half an hour, I took it and headed home. Connected it to my 85db 8 ohm towers on one side and my Marantz to the other.

My trusted old friend, Sashi Kumar who just came back from office after a stressful day was game enough to come over and we listened to all types of music, from Pop to Rock, from Western Classic to Jazz over a few shots of Antiquity

We had a blast till about midnight. There is not even an iota of listening fatigue. Hats off to Tom of Class D Audio.:clapping:
Cap'n, I want an audition! (Is 'Antiquity' included in the package?)

Cap'n, I want an audition! (Is 'Antiquity' included in the package?)

Anytime buddy, yes that is included.:lol:

I'm leaving for Nagercoil today for a couple of days.

Will come back & tie up with Bala & Rajiv to see how this amp fares with their speakers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back