Class D Amplifiers

Hi all

There is an hardware electronics guy who is offering to make a Class D amplifier.

What is your take on this?

hi captrajesh,

if you are looking at the next step - forget it! - the man offering to make you a class D amplifier needs to have his antecedents checked with a fine tooth comb.

regds

instead - if he is capable, ask him to make a class A amp - if he says yes - then ask him to proceed with the class D amp!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't understand the question. Good for him is all I can say.

Hi sorry I didn't explain it properly. Detailed explanation is given below.

What is the price and what is the package for that price? Having some more info will help us to give our comments.

Detailed explanation is given below.

hi captrajesh,

if you are looking at the next step - forget it! - the man offering to make you a class D amplifier needs to have his antecedents checked with a fine tooth comb. instead - if he is capable, ask him to make a class A amp - if he says yes - then ask him to proceed with the class D amp!

Suri, actually he is a very capable person & I vouch for his antecedents. He says he can make it as required.

Using very good quality materials 50k or thereabouts.

Using normal quality materials 30 k or thereabouts.

Actually my question was: What is your take on Class D Amps? I posed this question to all of our members who are in know of things to provide me some gyan. Sorry for creating the confusion. I posted while in a hurry.:eek:

I would also agree with the above comments.
50K sounds very high for a DIY effort especially for a Class D. you could get a Pure Class A amp built by someone competent or from a kit at that price or lower

Hi George & Gruby

Thank you guys for that valuable information. I've actually placed an order for that kit from Class D audio.:clapping:

So it is Class D that is going to be made first. Class A would have to wait.:)

One thing that surprised me is that many of our DIY audio gurus have not chipped in with their 20 cents.:sad:

I can't believe that you guys do not have an opinion about Class D amps.

Last edited:
One thing that surprised me is that many of our DIY audio gurus have not chipped in with their 20 cents.:sad:

I can't believe that you guys do not have an opinion about Class D amps.

Its a weekend. Let them sober up the next morning ... :)

Cheers

Hi George & Gruby

Thank you guys for that valuable information. I've actually placed an order for that kit from Class D audio.:clapping:

So it is Class D that is going to be made first. Class A would have to wait.:)

Whoa! :eek: You don't dilly-dally much, do you? :D Could you tell me which module you ordered? Apparently there are 2 different types, one using an IRF chip and the other using a TI chip. The IRF chip is supposed to be sonically better. Even if you have ordered the TI module, I think you could change it to the IRF one without any hassle. Also, hope you've ordered the heavy duty power supply. Congrats, would be very much interested in how the amp turns out... :)

Also, if you need a pre-amp along with the amp, you could consider Pass' First Watt B1 clone. This would cost you about $100 in parts and is supposed to be phenomenal:

Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

The First Watt Model B1 Buffer Preamplifier Operating at the speed limit! Review By Dick Olsher

You can pick up the board and the JFET's directly from PassDIY:

http://www.passdiy.com/order.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE=grubyhalo;116628]Also, if you need a pre-amp along with the amp, you could consider Pass' First Watt B1 clone. This would cost you about $100 in parts and is supposed to be phenomenal:

Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

The First Watt Model B1 Buffer Preamplifier Operating at the speed limit! Review By Dick Olsher

You can pick up the board and the JFET's directly from PassDIY:

http://www.passdiy.com/order.htm[/QUOTE]

Rajesh

That was a fast move! Now we will have to wait with bated breath for the proof of the pudding! If you havent yet read the thread on this in diy audio, I suggest you go through it.

Class D Audio, Who are these guys? - diyAudio

George

I've gone through the sites Gruby & George. Thank you guys. I'll keep you posted.:cool:

I request audio gurus Venkat, Cranky, Suri, Spriovious (Please pardon any omissions:)) to post their opinion as I'm about to pay up for the kit.:D

By the way, I've read the thread: http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/959-class-ab-amps-v-s-class-d.html already.

Even if you have ordered the TI module, I think you could change it to the IRF one without any hassle.

I didn't get it. Could you elaborate?

Also, hope you've ordered the heavy duty power supply.

I've not ordered the power supply. It might be cheaper to source it locally.

Last edited:
Rajesh

1. Definitely better to get the toroidal locally.

2. Read the diyaudio thread as well, it has a lot of info.

3. Let me know once you have it up and running, will plan to make a trip to audition it!

George

I didn't get it. Could you elaborate?

I've not ordered the power supply. It might be cheaper to source it locally.

Email Tom and request him to let you know the models that have the IRF chips in them and select one from the list. They are apparently better than the TI chip based modules according to users.

In response to the query as to whether the kits contain IRF Chips, I got the following response. Is this the one that we are looking for?:rolleyes:

These amps use the newest class d driver chips from IR. They are the IRS2092. The rest of the amp is more discrete components giving these amps a much better sonic quality than amps with amps built-in chips. These are some of the best sounding amps on the market and at any price. Please let me know if I can be more help.

Thanks,
Tom

Rajesh

In case you havent ordered the components, I forgot to mention that Hypex modules( they have a website) are considered to be among the best Class D units available. They have different models, 180/400/700wpc.

You need to get the modules, the power supply the tranny, and the other stuff (enclosure, connectors etc) to complete it.

George

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back