Classic Indian amps of late 70's

if its just some loose connection(s) then I will keep it... I guess I have to take it to a decent trusty electrician, sit with him, and ask him to go through it thoroughly - solder by solder.
Thanks everyone for suggestions.. I really appreciate your help

this is how I spent my sunday afternoon.. I was determined to make it fruitful and indeed so it was :)
I took out petrol form my bike..opened the amp and cleaned it with the aid of a small paint-brush and petrol. After cleaning the amp, I lubed the switches and balance dial with small amount of sewing machine oil.
I guess I did the right thing as the amp is now very well behaved and doesnt throw any tantrums. I have tested it for atleast 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.. no complains..:)

sewing machine oil etc works...

.any one have a better idea hoe t do it!

what if if it will damages the balance in the long run

[due to dust settling on oil]

Last edited:
One more solution is DeoxIT spray.
DeoxIT is a contact cleaner, fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, protects, lubricates and improves conductivity on all metal connectors of the amp, unfortunately nobody sells them in India, i am looking for one..:p

this is how I spent my sunday afternoon.. I was determined to make it fruitful and indeed so it was :)
I took out petrol form my bike..opened the amp and cleaned it with the aid of a small paint-brush and petrol. After cleaning the amp, I lubed the switches and balance dial with small amount of sewing machine oil.
I guess I did the right thing as the amp is now very well behaved and doesnt throw any tantrums. I have tested it for atleast 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.. no complains..:)

Petrol, paint brush, and sewing machine oil ???? Sigh !!! All the audio purists who hear this will shudder in their clothes. Reminds me of that wonderful book, 'Zen And the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.

Ultimately it works and that is what matters.

Redlag, if possible next time, try a small amount of 100% pure petroleum jelly This is sold by companies such as Vaseline. The advantage of jelly over oil, is that it does not drip, and stays on for a longer time. It is a better lubricant, and is also a good dielectric, and should not affect the circuitry.

Cheers

thanks for your advise, Venkatcr. I will definitely bear it in mind. The parts I lubed were mechanical ones.. not electric/electronic ones.. though I took precaution to use oil bare minimum.. I guess this worked in my favour.

I tried searching for Contact Cleaners online and stumbled upon this:
Online Electronic & Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray
I know a computer hardware vendor/engineer and will ask him what he use to clean motherboards and other computer circuits.

Last edited:
adding more to cleaners,3M industrial cleaners are available at

industrial supply mart near sp road ...

Last edited:
Hi Arvind, use silicone grease to lube mechanical parts, i service my TT with silicone grease as they are non sticky & non drip.

Regards,
Anil

thanks for your advise, Venkatcr. I will definitely bear it in mind. The parts I lubed were mechanical ones.. not electric/electronic ones.. though I took precaution to use oil bare minimum.. I guess this worked in my favour.

I tried searching for Contact Cleaners online and stumbled upon this:
Online Electronic & Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray
I know a computer hardware vendor/engineer and will ask him what he use to clean motherboards and other computer circuits.

Dear friends

Does anyone have any idea of the pioneer turntable and amp set which costed around Rs.25000/- around early eighties, i would like to know if those are still available and model number.
regards
Srinivas

Bring's back memories ...

-Lab3000,Lab6000 with Bevox spkrs
-K8 cassette deck with green flourescent db display
-Turntable

These advt's also appeared in every elektor (magazine) issue last page.

I have a Sony TA-AX44 amp I bought in the early 80's. Its still going strong. I just wonder whether anyone has compared it for sound quality with similar power amps available nowadays.

I have a Sony TA-AX44 amp I bought in the early 80's. Its still going strong. I just wonder whether anyone has compared it for sound quality with similar power amps available nowadays.

I could not afford separates at that time! My music was limited to a Sony stereo cube.

Here is what i had during 1990's. here is the product brochure from Sonodyne, i still have the turntable. It came with Philips & Bolton drivers.

Uranus2.jpg

There was another Uranus 2B (If I recall correct) model that was a later or earlier release. I am not very sure. All it had was a twin well tape deck, Amplifier, Graphic Equalizer, A pair of mid tower front speaker & small surround speakers. Components were all individual pieces. The sound was simply mind blowing.

Last edited:
Brands like COSMIC & SONODYNE were kings back in the day. I remember Sonodyne Jet Line speakers. Small buggers with some serious sound pressure levels.

There was a time Onida came out with a component Hi Fi system based around a Stereo Integrated Amplifier, Graphic Equalizer, Twin Well Tape deck, Mid Tower Speaker & small surround speakers. They were an exact copy of the Sonodyne Uranus 2B & they kicked ass.

Then there was Optonica that came out of the blue with two models of integrated shelf systems & proper floor standing speakers. One of the models had a CD Player too. A first for its time. The components were intergated into the rack & you could not pull out an individual component from the system. Do not know if they sounded good but I have see them at stores.

Sonodyne & Onida systems were way superior when compared to the junk Power House series that Philips launched.

Man there was a time i collected every half page/full page ad that came in the news papers. I dumped them just a few years ago. BPL advertised they D1000 in the Sunday supplement of The Hindu. I remember this so well cause the speakers looked menacing & were proper towers. It was basically a Mini System paired with floor standers.

Sad that those glory days are over. All we have now is insanely priced stereos. Back in the 80s spending 10K bought you the best. Now even a lac for some is not enough.

Noone mentioned Akai -Bush!!!!
Akai of the 80's

Anyway my friend purchased that onida system (twin tape,gr equalizer & amp + towers ) @ rs 3000 from a old TV shop !! Anyway got fade up because it's size and we sold( Rather exchanged)the system for rs 2500!!:yahoo::yahoo:

Also in mumbai there was grey systems - Biba ( rebadged sharp i Think) and Dome ( Rebadged Aiwa) anyone heard/have these?

I had a Sony and an Aiwa in the 1980s. Both Hi-Fi's with dual tapes, radio and option of aux to which I connected a Sony CDP. They would run for hours and hours and never even get hot or tire. The SQ was always great too.

The Aiwa was a special favorite of mine because it was from Europe and as a gift to me and I would not let anyone else even touch it.

Last edited:
Dear friends,
On seeing the Arphi product brochure sent by Mr.Anil kumar brought back my memories of 1980s.My uncle had a pair of heavy Arphi speakers called Arphi Orpheus for his cassette deck and the sound was phenomenal.I do not remember how many enclosures each speaker had.But the sound was a blast.
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Anil....this is awesome stuff. There was one model of Uranus Sonodyne released before or after (I do not recall) the one advertised. It was a combination of SA580+SD580+SQ500 paired with the SX909. The Sonodyne tape decks were unique. They were the first to bring out electronic control. Though the deck used piano keys they were not in direct mechanical link to the mechanism. It was operated electronically.

The Aprhi looks leagues ahead of the Sonodyne. In fact it looks like a Sony Dyna Power Series.

I really regret throwing all those advertisements of Hi Fi that used to come in the news paper. I used to put them up on my room wall. I remember Philips putting up half page ads of the Power House Series that was junk.

Do you have the Optonica Hi Fi ads? I saw & heard two models at a shop in Cochin.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back