Classic Indian amps of late 70's

Hi Anil,

I had heard that the Sonodyne direct drive turntables (and perhaps HMV too) were sourced from abroad because the low volumes sold did not justify setting up manufacturing facilities in India. I have no idea which make was imported but would like to know.

Regards.

I think BSR made some TTs for HMV,Sony etc.They all were low cost and very low quality too.

Regards,
Sachin

I think BSR made some TTs for HMV,Sony etc.They all were low cost and very low quality too.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks for the information. The only HMV direct drive turntable that I've seen seemed much above the usual BSR standards. It had a rock solid plinth and a well designed platter and came with an Audio Technica (I don't remember the number) cartridge.

Regards.

Insted of trying to solder about a thousand joints, why don't you buy WD40 and use the nzzle to spray it in the selector switches and controls?I mean the bass/treble/volume controls. AND if you know soldering WELL, then only, check out the large filter capasitors near the transformer and change them ...If they are dried out, you may damage your speakers as at some point the output stage transistors will emit a line frequency i.e. 50 Hz humm. can be bad for speakers if you happen to be playing music at loud volumes at that precise moment.

Insted of trying to solder about a thousand joints, why don't you buy WD40 and use the nzzle to spray it in the selector switches and controls?I mean the bass/treble/volume controls. AND if you know soldering WELL, then only, check out the large filter capasitors near the transformer and change them ...If they are dried out, you may damage your speakers as at some point the output stage transistors will emit a line frequency i.e. 50 Hz humm. can be bad for speakers if you happen to be playing music at loud volumes at that precise moment.

WD40 is a Water Displacement formulation - great for freeing up
rusted nuts etc. But it's not good to use it as a contact cleaner, as
the paraffinic oil in it will react with atmospheric oxygen
and polymerize, creating a gummy mess.which will turn sticky over time.

There are other electrical contact cleaning sprays like DeOxit which are
more suitable for the task.

WD40 is strictly no for electric/electronics application.Dexoit is best but I have not seen it in India.

Regards,
Sachin

Guys, if you say so, but I have been using wd40 for many years and it really works like a charm in rotary selector switches and carbon track controls ( volume,bass,treb) And yes, it does leave a bit of parafinnic gooey mess but still, the sprayed control really works without the previous clicks or scratches.So why not try it?The compound you said, is not available in india so insted of risking speakers, I say use WD40.

Guys, if you say so, but I have been using wd40 for many years and it really works like a charm in rotary selector switches and carbon track controls ( volume,bass,treb) And yes, it does leave a bit of parafinnic gooey mess but still, the sprayed control really works without the previous clicks or scratches.So why not try it?The compound you said, is not available in india so insted of risking speakers, I say use WD40.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement 40th Attempt" Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.
WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were trying to develop a formula to displace water and hit the correct formula on the 40th try!
It was designed as a rust prevention solvent, not as a lubricant.It should not be used for electronics.

Regards,
Sachin

Woow.... look at that. Aah... the cluster of eques ...... really romantic. How was the sound? How much did it cost? Is it still available? Just curious.....

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Here is what i had during 1990's. here is the product brochure from Sonodyne, i still have the turntable. It came with Philips & Bolton drivers.

Uranus2.jpg

Interesting.
Seeing this I was inspired to check out my long unused 25 yr old Technics SU V 505 amp with my Bose 301. To my surprise it still works.

Try Bose with a Turn Table - it sucks

I own an Audio Technica Belt Driven TT with various magnetic cartridges. Have been playing this with my Bose Lifestyle 18 (version 2) with a Phonic GEQ 1500 (15 band GE). The sound really sucks with the Phonic GEQ at pass-through mode. The Bose suppresses most of the high and low frequencies and sounds pathetic. With the Phonic in action, it sounds little better. I used to listen to my LPs back in 1986-88 in my friends home who had a Sonodyne Uranus II. It sounded so beautiful - it as clear as crystal. All the frequencies were life-like. I wonder why Bose, such an expensive piece (of crap :mad:) can't deliver even 10 percent of that quality. Anyone experienced this?

Re: Try Bose with a Turn Table - it sucks

I own an Audio Technica Belt Driven TT with various magnetic cartridges. Have been playing this with my Bose Lifestyle 18 (version 2) with a Phonic GEQ 1500 (15 band GE). The sound really sucks with the Phonic GEQ at pass-through mode. The Bose suppresses most of the high and low frequencies and sounds pathetic. With the Phonic in action, it sounds little better. I used to listen to my LPs back in 1986-88 in my friends home who had a Sonodyne Uranus II. It sounded so beautiful - it as clear as crystal. All the frequencies were life-like. I wonder why Bose, such an expensive piece (of crap :mad:) can't deliver even 10 percent of that quality. Anyone experienced this?

what is Phonic GEQ 1500 (15 band GE). ?? is your bose has phono input? or Audio tchnica has phono pre built in?

what is Phonic GEQ 1500 (15 band GE). ?? is your bose has phono input? or Audio tchnica has phono pre built in?
Phonic GEQ 1500 is a 15+15 band Graphic Equaliser with independent channels (Signal Processors :: GEQ :: GEQ 1500 - Phonic | Manufacturing Quality Professional Audio Equipment since 1977). The Bose doesn't have a phono preamp, but the AT has a built-in preamp. Today I got a Sonodyne Uranus 2 amplifier (SA 580) with Graphic Equaliser SQ 500 and SX 909 speakers. Let me try connecting this setup to my AT and then I shall post a comparative analysis.

Phonic GEQ 1500 is a 15+15 band Graphic Equaliser with independent channels (Signal Processors :: GEQ :: GEQ 1500 - Phonic | Manufacturing Quality Professional Audio Equipment since 1977). The Bose doesn't have a phono preamp, but the AT has a built-in preamp. Today I got a Sonodyne Uranus 2 amplifier (SA 580) with Graphic Equaliser SQ 500 and SX 909 speakers. Let me try connecting this setup to my AT and then I shall post a comparative analysis.

from experience, inbuilt phono preamps are not suitable for hi-fi listening.

Let me try connecting this setup to my AT and then I shall post a comparative analysis.

I guess the problem is because of the Bose speakers. As soon as I connected the Sonodyne SA 528 to SX 909, the quality of music changed. The bass sound of a Tabla became evident, the bass guitar from 80's LPs became pretty deep and high frequency sound from SX 909's HF driver became crystal clear. The Bose works very well when you are listening to a 5.1 channel movie and the sudden booms become thrilling. But Bose can't pump out the Indian music melody of bass guitar and the bass of a Tabla.:sad:

I have ordered for a Wharfedale Vardus 300 and planning to replace the Bose front speakers with this and will give my comments further.

Finally - thanks to this forum I found the deck I recall from my teen years...It was the K8...and it was made by Cosmic...For some reason I kept thinking it was sold by Beltek.

Clearly this was a deck that was imported and re-badged as Cosmic...Anyone know who the original maker was (most likely Japanese)...

And does anyone still have this machine?

Thanks
Rajiv

Finally - thanks to this forum I found the deck I recall from my teen years...It was the K8...and it was made by Cosmic...For some reason I kept thinking it was sold by Beltek.

Clearly this was a deck that was imported and re-badged as Cosmic...Anyone know who the original maker was (most likely Japanese)...

And does anyone still have this machine?

Thanks
Rajiv

Cosmic was famous for its re-badged cassette decks...mostly Akai!!

Cosmic was famous for its re-badged cassette decks...mostly Akai!!

Actually I did some research and this looks like a Luxman K-8 with a black faceplate instead of the silver that was sold on the Luxman (it also had a wooden casing)...I compared the specs and they seems to match exactly...

Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong as I want to nail it down to the right deck and get it here in the US (decks like K-8 go for $20 to 30 here in the US) and I want to get one for nostalgia's sake as I have some sweet memories of this deck from my days as a teen in India...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back