Classic Indian amps of late 70's

Leaving the STK models Sonodyne also introduced good amplifiers in those years. I found that at around RS.650/- Sonodyne SC 700 and Cosmic CO-40 were very very
good amps. Regarding other good Companies for amps and speakers we should not forget Norge/Enbee/Afco and Bevox (by Bajaj) of our yester year classic models.

linnhifi

i also remember looking up some of my dad's old magazines as a kid (dont know where these are now) and admiring murphy turntables, amplifiers and cassette players from the early to mid 1970s...

"IGNORANCE IS BLISS"
Going by all that has been discussed on this thread I now truly appreciate what this means.

Thanx Sreekanth & Kamal for the comment.
Sreekanth: earlier models were transister versons (not STK type). Uranus series had STK transistors, sounded bad. They were made to go with equalisers, sounded terrible. I had uranus II for 5 years, i shall post the pictures tomorrow. Only uranus series turntable was acceptable because of Audio Technica diamond stylus & heavy alluminium platter.

Anil

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your very informative posts. How would you rate the RP 4000D turntable vis-a-vis the Uranus II one in terms of sound quality (assuming both are fitted with the Audio Technica cartridge)?

Regards.

hi anil hows ur vintage collection
i am a cosmic fan wanted to know does the old cosmic lab 3000 , lab 5000 and lab 6000 gives the same sound quality i know that it is 50, 75, 150 rms at 4 ohms but in 3000 and 6000 i heard that the old lab 3000 gives a beautiful quality 6000 is also good but has only loudness
a hav a co 100 old steel dial but not exact matching spk but hav c0vox 6000 spk cosmic new bought in 2001 i am dying to hav lab 3000 amp old with small vu meters for phono stage
more inputs and great looks i too hav my 32 yrs old co 40 and 1500 spk
i know the service technician working 4 25 yrs for cosmic he tells me no diff betwn lab 3000 and 5000 but i strongly fell that old lab 3000 is the best with covox 4500 spk i hav my vintage collection from gramophone to blu ray player 78 rec reel projector elmo st 800 garard tts philips stereo valve radio
old vintage wall clocks .kenwood kt 815 tuner and so on
bye all
love u enjoy hurraaaa

hi anil hows ur vintage collection
i am a cosmic fan wanted to know does the old cosmic lab 3000 , lab 5000 and lab 6000 gives the same sound quality i know that it is 50, 75, 150 rms at 4 ohms but in 3000 and 6000 i heard that the old lab 3000 gives a beautiful quality 6000 is also good but has only loudness
a hav a co 100 old steel dial but not exact matching spk but hav c0vox 6000 spk cosmic new bought in 2001 i am dying to hav lab 3000 amp old with small vu meters for phono stage
more inputs and great looks i too hav my 32 yrs old co 40 and 1500 spk
i know the service technician working 4 25 yrs for cosmic he tells me no diff betwn lab 3000 and 5000 but i strongly fell that old lab 3000 is the best with covox 4500 spk i hav my vintage collection from gramophone to blu ray player 78 rec reel projector elmo st 800 garard tts philips stereo valve radio
old vintage wall clocks .kenwood kt 815 tuner and so on
bye all
love u enjoy hurraaaa

Will you use some punctuation and CAPITALIZATION? Or you were on some substance and we are suppose to make sense of all??:mad::mad:

Sorry Hemant for not taking care of my english grammar.
The thing is to express my feelings and doubts about vintage amps.
thks .:yahoo:

Sorry Hemant for not taking care of my english grammar.
The thing is to express my feelings and doubts about vintage amps.
thks .:yahoo:

buddy sorry for aggression
ur post seems informative , please reformat and put, maybe others missing a point

Thks dear Hemant.
I have a vintage piooner sa 9100 amp . I want to know the matching spk for the same , tried with pioneer cs 405 spk but not matchiing
Treable gets 80% cut Very good amp 60 watts rms at 8 ohms ,spk A,b,C , 8 inputs . 15 kg weight i want to use stictly for phono MM
Also my friend is sellng sansui 607 amp hows that for phono

Bye.....Thks in adv.

Thks dear Hemant.
I have a vintage piooner sa 9100 amp . I want to know the matching spk for the same , tried with pioneer cs 405 spk but not matchiing
Treable gets 80% cut Very good amp 60 watts rms at 8 ohms ,spk A,b,C , 8 inputs . 15 kg weight i want to use stictly for phono MM
Also my friend is sellng sansui 607 amp hows that for phono

Bye.....Thks in adv.

To be honest -vintage Japanese spekers were so so ,barring few exceptions
Why not try some good british speakers?

Hi miroflex,do you mean Reloop RP TT's?

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your very informative posts. How would you rate the RP 4000D turntable vis-a-vis the Uranus II one in terms of sound quality (assuming both are fitted with the Audio Technica cartridge)?

Regards.

I have the Sony Orson System (Tape Deck + Amp + floor speakers) bought from Zarapkars (Dadar, Bombay) in 1987, for a total cost of Rs. 10800.

Any idea where I can have the amp repaired?

I too had (have) the same ....... :clapping:
The amp started misbehaving some 3 years ago ....... the tapedeck adorns my HT still .... still working perfectly ...... while the Sony SS S440 speakers are still doing service as my 'Stereo 1', now coupled to a Norge 1000 ... :yahoo: and I had bought the Sony Orson system in 1988 @ Rs.10,800 too ... at no discount.

Last edited:
I too had (have) the same ....... :clapping:
The amp started misbehaving some 3 years ago ....... the tapedeck adorns my HT still .... still working perfectly ...... while the Sony SS S440 speakers are still doing service as my 'Stereo 1', now coupled to a Norge 1000 ... :yahoo: and I had bought the Sony Orson system in 1988 @ Rs.10,800 too ... at no discount.

innovative speaker placement :lol:

Hi

Did Sonodyne come with speaker model called Venus ?

I own one speaker set by Sonodyne, which has its back label illegible. I think they are Venus (50W pc @ 8 ohm). It came to me from my freind who had his house renovated and had no place to keep these bulky speakers. Acutally these speakers belonged to his uncle.

Speakers are 3 Way, Woofer 10", Mid 4" & Tweeter 2" (Paper Cone), I donot know the crossover point or slope, they weigh hefty 25~30Kg each. Back of the speakers is not in wood it is like some king of concrete !!!! that makes these speakers so heavy.

I think they are at least 25~30 years old, and the woofer is freyed on the surround (it does have butyl surround) and cone have tiny holes in it and tweeter is dead. The enclosure is heavy duty and still good.

Would it be good idea to replace baffle and recone the woofer ? and refurbish the speaker with new tweeter and midrange. I am not heavy volume listner so 50W power is sufficient.

Any suggestions are welcome, I am from Goa and have very little access to good speaker drivers.

Thanks for help

Yatin

Well sorry the model is "Spectrum 7000" (70W @ 8Ohm) and not Venus

Rest of the datails are same

Regards

Yatin

Guys, wonderful thread.
If it was not for Sonodyne and Cosmic, small town enthusiast like me would have been left in the drought. Sonodyne especially was the craze since I am from the Eastern India.
The Cassette era definitely allowed us to do a lot of manual adjustment to sounds which the CD era doesnt. The look of a top quality "Sharp" or "Sony" equalizer gave such goosebumps those days and even now :).

BTW, has anyone seen or heard the Philips 900 series system ? This was one of the last separates launched by Philips. I had the pleasure of listening to it in a shop in my home town and literally me and my audio buddy stood 3 hours in the shop listening to our various cassettes on it. But it was too expensive for higher secondary student to even dream about it. Aaah...unbelievable moments !!! Some times living in a small town actually helps keeping the flame alive and keep dreaming big !!

Hi Abhi,
I have heard the Philips 900 series when I was in my teens. They were a huge leap over the mass market powerhouses that Philips used to make then. I might still have the brochures that I got from the showroom.

Hi Abhi,
I have heard the Philips 900 series when I was in my teens. They were a huge leap over the mass market powerhouses that Philips used to make then. I might still have the brochures that I got from the showroom.

You are the only hope left Santhosh. I wish to see them as part of your collection. That is the only way I can listen to them again:licklips:

Hi Abhi,

had one 950 amp without orignal remote , fantastic sound

Still have 931 CD player - Door need to pull or push again very good sound

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back