Classifying amplifier brands by sound signature

You said: "Sometimes you think that a 'forward amp' will match with a 'laid back speaker' and vice versa but it doesn't work at all."

I believe that is the result of the amplifier not adequately capable of driving that speaker.
That may be true a part of the time but not always, sometimes the wattage and current is more than enough but it just isn't a good 'match.' We are getting into a territory which will become difficult to discuss objectively. 'Adequately capable of driving that speaker' to me just means does it have the necessary wattage (continuous and peak) and enough current at reasonably low distortion and nothing else.

At times my system sounds different and can fall broadly into the above categories. Those differences make me to listen longer at times and to switch off at other times.
I have now realized that it is my mood :) that influences how my setup sounds most of the time.
Moody makes the equipment warm, Lackadaisical makes it dry and neutral, Enthusiastic - Lively and Detailed, Emotional/Romantic - Musical and soulful.
That said amps do sound different, but above classifications are still very subjective.
My current flea dollar amp does sound musical, but will make most audiophiles scoot when measured.

At times my system sounds different and can fall broadly into the above categories. Those differences make me to listen longer at times and to switch off at other times.
I have now realized that it is my mood :) that influences how my setup sounds most of the time.
Moody makes the equipment warm, Lackadaisical makes it dry and neutral, Enthusiastic - Lively and Detailed, Emotional/Romantic - Musical and soulful.
That said amps do sound different, but above classifications are still very subjective.
My current flea dollar amp does sound musical, but will make most audiophiles scoot when measured.
well said sir
its true actually

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back