CNN article on the death of the Home Stereo...

linuxguru

The death of the home stereo system - CNN.com

I don't necessarily disagree with some of what the article claims, including the trend towards digital files and convenience, but in the *real* world there has been a quadrupling in Vinyl sales in a few years - so I'd have to paraphrase Mark Twain and state that rumours of the demise of home stereo seem to be somewhat exaggerated...

(I predict that audiophile systems will migrate towards a networked file server, controlled by a handheld or app on a bluetooth or Wifi-enabled phone, with high-definition digital audio output to a DAC, driving an analog 2-channel amplifier and speakers as before. The only thing that is changing is the source - no longer a standalone CD player, but a networked file server. No-brainer actually, and it's not a huge change from the heydays of big-box stereos. Some of those components may be physically smaller - there are very small USB DACs and Class-D amplifiers these days, but good speakers will have to be moderately large.)

(I predict that audiophile systems will migrate towards a networked file server, controlled by a handheld or app on a bluetooth or Wifi-enabled phone, with high-definition digital audio output to a DAC, driving an analog 2-channel amplifier and speakers as before. ...

I'm already there bro! And its a very nice place.
I still have my CD player in case I need to spin a disc but its all digital now for me.

Hardly the "death" of home stereo - its been the exact opposite.
The exponential convenience of PC control and availability of online music has seen my music collection just explode.

Last edited:
+1, I used to had 200+ tape audio cassettes back in school days. The used to gone bad after a year or so. And big collection needs space;

So space and maintainability wise; its a boon that it has gone digital.

I've spent the past 20 years building up audiophile systems, replacing and upgrading piece by piece. I've also tried iPod, Creative, Sony, Toshiba and a few generic portable players (only the sony had anything close to acceptable audio)

It's probably true most young people will never consider a real hifi, And it's not because they don't like music. Quite the opposite, actually. The popularity of online streaming music sites, rise of music blogs, and skyrocketing digital music sales from places like iTunes, Wal-Mart.com, and Amazon.com show that young people are voracious music consumers.

But I doubt the true audiophile will disappear, and I doubt the esoteric equipment will disappear, just as classical music hasn't disappeared despite pop and the digital age swamping the global market for so many years.

An indication of this is the rebirth of turntable manufacture, and the significant increase in production of audiophile vinyl records.

Cheers

Last edited:
The `ceremony' involved in playing one's stereo/sound system can not be matched by online supply of music. That leisurely cleaning of the discs, starting up of the system and getting ready for a long listening session! Many of the music lovers have made their sound system an integral part of their living space and love to look at the equipment and its multicolor indicator lights. No! The stereo will stay. After all it defines your space also, in the house.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back