Combining active & passive subs

AudioHDR

Hi guys. This is my first post here and I am looking for some guidance.
Couple of years back I purchased a Yamaha YHT 196 5.1 HT package. It came with the HTR- 2064 AV receiver and NS- P20 speaker package. Now I am looking to upgrade the speakers as the stock speakers were never very exiting. I liked the Harman Kardon HKTS 30 WQ 5.1 speaker system and planning to getting it home. I have the following questions:
1. How big an upgrade will it be from the Yamaha stock set up?
2. The showroom guys told me its compatible and the specs indicate the same. My AVR is rated at 6 ohms and the HKTS speakers are all 6-8 ohms. Any thoughts?
3. The sub with the HKTS package is rated at 200W. My amp is rated at 100W, will that be an issue?
4. Finally, and this is the tricky one - I have learned from various forums that using multiple subs improves the overall quality and evenness of the bass. Can I use my existing Yamaha sub along with the HKTS sub? The Yamaha sub is passive and runs on ordinary speaker wires connected to the AVR, while the HKTS has a powered sub and I will have to connect it via the sub pre-out. Will it work?

Many thanks.

Couple of years back I purchased a Yamaha YHT 196 5.1 HT package. It came with the HTR- 2064 AV receiver and NS- P20 speaker package. Now I am looking to upgrade the speakers as the stock speakers were never very exiting. I liked the Harman Kardon HKTS 30 WQ 5.1 speaker system and planning to getting it home. I have the following questions:
2. The showroom guys told me its compatible and the specs indicate the same. My AVR is rated at 6 ohms and the HKTS speakers are all 6-8 ohms. Any thoughts?
3. The sub with the HKTS package is rated at 200W. My amp is rated at 100W, will that be an issue?
4. Finally, and this is the tricky one - I have learned from various forums that using multiple subs improves the overall quality and evenness of the bass. Can I use my existing Yamaha sub along with the HKTS sub? The Yamaha sub is passive and runs on ordinary speaker wires connected to the AVR, while the HKTS has a powered sub and I will have to connect it via the sub pre-out. Will it work?

Many thanks.

Hi,

In my opinion your points 1,2,3 are no issues. Coming to point 4, I guess your receiver has output for both passive as well as active subs. Question is whether the receiver can feed signal to both outputs simultaneously. You may want to refer to the manual for that. If it can feed both the outputs then yes you can connect both the Subs, assuming you have checked the frequency response of both the subs and found them to be in sync. It would just make it slightly easier to cross them.

You could also check the Energy speakers on sale in the classified section.

MaSh

Many thanks.

The YHT 196 is capable of sending LFE signals to the passive as well as the active SUB simultaneously. I use a similar combination except that my subwoofer brand is Pioneer.

It does add a bit of punch to the sound. The power rating on the active SUB does not really affect the AVR as it is an active one, it comes with it's own amplifier.

Hope this helps..

Regards,
Rajiv

Thanks a lot guys. This helps. How does the HKTS 30WQ compare to the Bose Acoustimas 6? Both are priced similarly.

Thanks a lot guys. This helps. How does the HKTS 30WQ compare to the Bose Acoustimas 6? Both are priced similarly.

Both are very different systems. You will have to Audition yourself and decide which one suits yours tastes better.

MaSh

Both are very different systems. You will have to Audition yourself and decide which one suits yours tastes better.

MaSh

I would have loved to do that...But none of the Bose stores have an Acoustimas for demo. I checked with most of their stores here in Kolkata. When you mean they are different, can you please be a bit more specific about how and why? I mean from an experience perspective...

Hi

Everyone has their own opinions about Bose...my opinion is that you pay for the brand more than for the actual performance of the speakers....luxury tag.....

With the same budget, you can visit ProFx and see the Polk line of speakers...either TL or T series....

You can also look at the Taga line up of speakers (6 ohms) which are available on Hifi Mart.....

If you can't audition, see some YouTube videos to get a high level understanding and also refer to available reviews on google

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back