Comments !!!

bhagwan

[A] Music is all about synergy

When buying, start with speakers, then the source then the amplification

[C] High-end Indian brands will sound better than low-end international brands

[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 95%

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 5%

This is what 'Ranjeetrain' fells.
It is his 'signature'

Just wanted to comment on it,
Hence, I started this thread.

Comments ;

Suggestions ;

Opinions ;

All are welcome to post !!!

Thanks,

:)

[A] I agree with you - 100 % correct !

Speakers then Amplification then Source is my order of preferance.

[C] Yes - Cadence rocks !!!

[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 80 % [High end] to 85 % [low end]

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 15% [low - fi] to 20 % [hi-fi]

This is what my opinion on the topic was;

Speakers then Amplification then Source is my order of preferance.

I do not disagree with that, given that it is easier to find a source with certain acoustic properties than an amp.

My philosphy is - what affects the final sound the most?

The source affects the overall sound quality the most or at least as much as speakers. This is based on my personal experience. Then next question is - why not Source -> Speakers -> Amp? Because, any changes in speakers brings an immediate, most significant, most apparent difference in the sound quality. Not everyone can tell the difference between two amps costing above USD 2000. But most people can tell difference between different speakers at any price point.

The same, its easier to perceive (and hence make decision about) differences in source than in Amp.

Hope I was making sense :)

[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 80 % [High end] to 85 % [low end]

I agree with you that percentile will vary from price point to price point. And then from ears to ears. Believe me, 97% of us (Indians) will consider that percentile to be 100%. No one would even think of changing mains leads.

Whatever the percentile, here is where I would spend more of MY money rather than on the rest.

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 15% [low - fi] to 20 % [hi-fi][/COLOR]

These extras do make a difference. But those differences are so subtle, it would be hard to prove. Of course I mean in a NORMAL condition. In abnormal conditions, e.g. a DJ system on move - absorbers would play a significant role. Poor voltage conditions - Mains conditioners will play a significant role. But under standard operating conditions the effectiveness of these things would be, well, what I call "a little over marginal".

You give the percentile!

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 15% [low - fi] to 20 % [hi-fi]

Breaking it down further:

Cables/Interconnects - people try to use these to tailor their sound. Not I. I would never rely on cables/interconnects to be a driving element in my setup either. If an equipment needs USD 500 cable to perform then I wont buy it. I would buy something that performs with anything NOT WORSE, NOT DEGRADING.

Mains lead/Power conditioners/Vibration absorbers/Misc - These are more of a damage control measure than driving forces. Use them only in less than ideal conditions, never to tailor your sound.

But the biggest but is here.

The above only applies on mortals. Budget-fi and Mid-fi. In high-end money-no-object systems everything is important. Why only these, even placement of rack is important. Why only that, even the OSD is a NUISANCE. Bright walls are limitor. Furniture in the listening area are limitor.

So you see, if you don't go THERE, the money spent on these things will give you the minimum return.

You give the percentile!

Re: Rated by whom ????

Sir,

A system should - imho -be rated by its user & no one else.
So, you have a set up, because you like it. Else you would have got something else..... So be proud of what you have !!!

;)

Thanks for being understanding and supporting :) I am indeed proud of my system. I have heard setups costing INR 400k, but sound-wise I *consider* my system to be better or at least equally good (and I have invested less than half that money) :p

ranjeetrain: joined your orkut group :)

All down to personal choice & goals, IMHO anyway :)

svs_4.jpg

When buying, start with speakers, then the source then the amplification

Last edited:
Re: Speaker - Amplifier - Source !!!

You cannot that smiley mate :), or change your userId!

I would go the order

a. source
b. amplification
c. speakers
c1. listening room acoustics management
d. cables

Sir,
:mad:
Speaker
Amplification
Source
Cables
Accessories

Room to me is most important !!!

You cannot that smiley mate :), or change your userId!

I would go the order

a. source
b. amplification
c. speakers
c1. listening room acoustics management
d. cables

Sir,

The Room is the most expensive part of the audio install.
The 2nd most expensive part is the software.

Make the room first & then the other things !!!

Re: Room to me is most important !!!

are you sure mate? what kind of calibration software we discuss here?

Audyssey Multi-EQ is built into some receivers [eg.Onkyo], though not the pro version assuming you don't need the calibration happen in 32 different locations.

Personally I use Room equalization wizard, which is opensource product to Identify the issues & calibration [coupled with Behringer Feedback Destroyer].

The 2nd most expensive part is the software.

then how about the list in least depreciation order, that saves some hard earned $$$!
That's the classical order, most people follow.

no problem, happy to help! before winding up just have a look at my room response between 10hz & 100hz [make a note of db :)], with just the sub running

cal3.jpg

Good link. Something for me to try out the coming weekend :) Can I email you (stupid) question on how to use it :D

no problem, happy to help! before winding up just have a look at my room response between 10hz & 100hz [make a note of db :)], with just the sub running

cal3.jpg

Well, those readings are unreal :eek:

Don't tell me that your neighbors are still alive :mad:

Back