Component Picture Quality

spiderman

Hi Forum Members

If a set top box has component option, does the picture quality for standard cable broadcast improve significantly? Any one seen it, would like to hear your experiences.

Spiderman

Component will improve PQ. I have not tested it for an STB since both my Dish TV and Tata Sky are without that option, but for my DVDP of Sony that plays only DVDs and is without HDMI the PQ is certainly much better via the Component than via RCA. Mind you this is on a CRT TV with SD content like DVDs and Divx rips, and not an LCD/Plasma with HD content. For the latter HDMI is the route to go.

hi,
i have set-top from coship in my showroom, i has composite video, s-video and component video. i connected all those three video outputs to my 29" philips crt tv for demo in my showroom at chennai. all three video inputs differs from each by colour, contrast, black level depth, and picture shaking artifacts. the composite is the least and it gives a bad video quality, the s-video it somehow improves the quality by improving picture stablizing and some differnts in colours, but its the best in black level depth or in contrast level. the final component gives really a good clean black level details,good balanced colours throughout the video and great improvement from contrast of the overall picture.

so, from my conclusion and experience, i had from those three video outputs, im giving this deatils for you.even i demonstrates this to my customers in the showroom.

hi,

have an nvidia 9600gt disp card with dual dvi output. i also got a DVI <--> COmponent connector, but am not able to get any display on my Sony CRT.
I am getting a garbled image on the tv.

any suggestions ??

i will check on the connection, but any particular settings on the card resolution ..

i have set it to 50Hz and the resolution is 800x600... any other resolution or settings that i can check..

In simple terms the maximum resolution that can be displayed on a standard TV set is 720 x 576 for PAL compatible signals, and 720 x 480 for NTSC signals. For various reasons the actual displayed resolution will be less than this.

That's correct. I have a Divx rip in 800x600 that does not play on my CRT TV but plays perfect on my plasma.

In simple terms the maximum resolution that can be displayed on a standard TV set is 720 x 576 for PAL compatible signals, and 720 x 480 for NTSC signals. For various reasons the actual displayed resolution will be less than this.

A little correction here. Though you could say 720x576 or 720x480 for simplified understanding, CRTs do not have resolutions measured this way. A digital TV has a number of pixels - a physical quantity that can be measured as X into Y representing the number of pixels physically placed on a matrix across the screen. So when you say 100x100 for a digital LCD screen you are referring to 10,000 physical pixels that form the screen. In a plasma again this has relevance. Even though the screen has just a single body of plasma gas, the edges of the screen are bifurcated and wired as a matrix for sending the signals to each individual xy coordinate across the screen matrix.

A CRT, on the other hand, consists of a number of electron light beams that are played across the screen. The resolution is measured in only one scale - the vertical scale measured by the number of light beams which is a max of 525. The width or horizontal scaling is immaterial, as for all practical purposes, it is a of a single width.

Cheers

Last edited:
normally crt tv's cant accept this 800x600 resolution

Sorry but my TV accepts 1024x768 with 7300 out with S-vid to vid.
The problem cld be the the selection of display format(PAL) as default setting is NTSC.

Even Gr.cards upscales to 1080 & if you dont select it properly,display can distort.

Lastly cable,converter can be faulty.

Sorry but my TV accepts 1024x768 with 7300 out with S-vid to vid.
The problem cld be the the selection of display format(PAL) as default setting is NTSC.

Even Gr.cards upscales to 1080 & if you dont select it properly,display can distort.

Lastly cable,converter can be faulty.

Spiro is that a CRT TV you have? If so I would be interested in the make/model. Or is it LCD/Plasma...

Spiro is that a CRT TV you have? If so I would be interested in the make/model. Or is it LCD/Plasma...

Surprisingly TV is CRT=Digichrome ,but currently circuit was changed to Indian called Gurudev kit.It is mainly made for BPL,Sanyo TVs.

So I tried from lower resolution to the one I said.It was possible only with dedicated driver.When I used newer driver,I cld get upto 640.

I was surprised to see the results.I can see the difference when I changed the resolution.(the desktop icon reduces as I increase resolution)

hi,
i have set-top from coship in my showroom, i has composite video, s-video and component video. i connected all those three video outputs to my 29" philips crt tv for demo in my showroom at chennai. all three video inputs differs from each by colour, contrast, black level depth, and picture shaking artifacts. the composite is the least and it gives a bad video quality, the s-video it somehow improves the quality by improving picture stablizing and some differnts in colours, but its the best in black level depth or in contrast level. the final component gives really a good clean black level details,good balanced colours throughout the video and great improvement from contrast of the overall picture.

so, from my conclusion and experience, i had from those three video outputs, im giving this deatils for you.even i demonstrates this to my customers in the showroom.

Thanks for the feedback it makes things quite clear, I will go in for the set top box with component option and enjoy good picture quality on standard broadcast.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back