Confused between audio technica ATH M50x vs Sony MDR XB920

How is the sound quality and bass?

How much you have paid?

Do you able to connect the headphone and mobile with 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable. (Not the cable they have given) I am asking because if the given cables are spoiled after couple of years then normal Auxiliary will work or not?

How is the sound quality with mobile?(with out using the amplifier)

Please suggest us.

Thanks in advance,
Jeevan

Sound quality with mobile will depend on the mobile itself rather than the headphone. Quality cell phones these days do put emphasis on audio quality and they sound quite good. It sounded really great with my Lenovo K 900 (it had Wolfson DAC), and sounds quite good with a HTC Desire 816, clear and loud too. At the same time it sounded perfectly crappy with the 816G and Samsung Grand 2 and other midrangers. It is all about the cell phone hardware, with the right phone you will not need an amplifier.

Finally I bought audio technica m50x
Along with fiio e6 portable headphone amplifier
Hi amanker,

How is the sound quality and bass?

Price?

Do you able to connect the headphone and mobile with 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable. (Not the cable they have given) I am asking because if the given cables are spoiled after couple of years then normal Auxiliary will work or not?

How is the sound quality with mobile(galaxy S3)?(with out using the amplifier)

Please suggest us.

Thanks in advance,
Jeevan

Hi jeevan.

About sound quality.
It is the best headphone I have tested.
Same you can confirm on google.
It's the best.

It's really consistent and flat response across whole audio spectrum. Nothing is adulterated all pure sound. I really liked it.
The songs which I listened many times now feels like I am listening them first time.
It sounds heavenly.
Didn't skipped very small sound or instrument. Clearity is awesome. You can feel every beat, instrument and vocal so clear.
Feels like a very big sound stage.

About bass
It has very clear and punchy bass.
And it's really good.
But didn't have extra boom boom. It's bass doesn't suppress mid and highs. Everything so clear.
I personally don't have any complaints about bass. Still I consider myself bass head.
You can't bear boom boom for long.

I am using this with my iPhone. And sound is so good. I made a mistake of buying portable amplifier seeing review that this headphone is not so loud with portable device.
In fact it's so loud that I hear at 70% of volume. I cant hear at 100% for more than few mins.

About cable.
Yes 3.5 mm both way don't work with this headphone. It has proprietary locking pin at headphone end. But good news that it comes with 3 cables.
1.5m straight cable
1.5-3m coiled cable
3m straight cable.

But one can make new cable by using small pin for headphone smaller than 3.5mm

So don't hesitate just buy it. You won't regret.

See this video
http://youtu.be/lEjwyYOFwZg

I am listening songs bought on iTunes. I don't know what format it is. Probably aac or m4a but not flac for sure. But quality of songs are good.

Last edited:
Basically if the low end frequency instruments on your source is well produced..the bass is going to sound amazing. If the bass sounds bad then it's not the m50x's problem. The source is to blame. The m50x hardly adds any color to the source (m40x is even more flat which I prefer over the m50x!).

Hi, I have been using ATH-M50x close to an year. Area of usage : listening to music from my Samsung Note 4 (m4a, flac, mp3) and during sound mixing for my motion graphics videos. I love the unadulterated sound these headphones produce. I should say that it just reproduces how the sound has been recorded. So, if your source is good then the output is good. Basically these are designed for audio monitoring purposes. The bass factor is natural and punchy, without any artificially added boom or boost by the headphones. I bought this headphones based on good reviews and I should say that I'm not disappointed. I bought @ AED 650 from Dubai. The best part is this headphones can handle any frequencies you throw in. Best value for money at this range period

Back