Confused between audio technica ATH M50x vs Sony MDR XB920

amanker

I want to buy a very good pair of head phones. Which should have overall good frequency response in full spectrum and faithful reproduction of sound. Yes I am bass head.
Confused between Audio Technica ATH M50x and Sony mdr xb920.
M50x has very good reviews and considered as best headphone for this money. Even better than much higher priced ones. It has flat response no artificial mod to sound. But I read somewhere that it lack somewhat in bass.
MDR xb920. Is extra bass head phone. Has very good bass.. Don't know it's punchy bass or just muddy boom boom. Didn't find find much review regarding this headphone. I heard that it gives headache on prolonged listening.
There is also option of Sony MDR xb900 which is half the price of xb920 and has same specifications as xb920 on paper.

Can't audition any of them. I have order on net.

So sincere advice is required. Please help.

I haven't heard the XB920/900 but their XB400 was terrible. IMO M50x should be a safe bet.

Given the Sony XB400 I listened to in Croma, the sound is colored and muddy
The ATH M50 is anyday better sound

But as far as comfort is concerned, the Sony wins by a big margin. The ATH M50 are heavy headphones, so expect them to grow uncomfortable when listening for longer periods

May I suggest a third option ?
I am sure there are Reliance Digitals in Jaipur. Try and visit them if you can. They were holding a firesale of Ultimate Ears (UE) headphones. If they still have the UE6000 for sale, seriously consider them. At Rs 5000, it is cheaper than the M50s, but they produce very good sound, and are ultra comfortable too

Thanks grunthos for your valuable input
I will try here at Jodhpur in reliance digital for ue6000.
I have schenheiser rs130 wireless. But too much disappointed with these. Bought Sony MDR xb90ex earphones very good sounding but not great.
Review of audio technica ath m50x too tempting

Hi amanker,

I've been using the M50, not M50X though, for last 4 years and have never been disssapointed on any type of music i throw at it. my sources are either my portable cowon J3 or computer with a Tube USB DAC or Ipad...

it will give you a smile when you hear your bass head songs on it... thought it is not THE ultimate one for bass, it can satisfy your requirement. Even I had purchased it without any audition since the shop that procured it for me didnt have it in stock and got it only after i ordered. Nevertheless, i havent thought of changing it so far.

Its a bit heavy and has a good clamping force but i cant compare with Sony and tell you how that is since i dont have any Sony and neither do any of my friends..

i listen to rock, pop, fusion, metal, hard rock etc. and it does perform really well for what its worth and can keep you satisfied.

hope that helps

Choose M50 eyes closed.
I have heard Sony XB models, not the ones you mentioned but they honestly do not come close to the sonic reproduction of M50.
XB = Extra Bass, how can bass be extra? That in itself gives you your answer, with a bloated and false representation of low frequencies these headphones sacrifice clarity, dynamics, in doing so ruins the music. You will have adequate amount of bass with ATH-M50 and will not be sacrificing on the mids or highs either.

Thanks Prashant and shibashis for helping and first hand review.

Xb920 has 50mm driver but m50 has 45mm. Larger driver means more punch and bass. I know this is not always true. Much depends on designing driver and housing.
But one reviewed higher modals of xb series. Xb400 has only 30mm driver. So it's not fair to compare lower xb series with xb920.

Thanks Prashant and shibashis for helping and first hand review.

Xb920 has 50mm driver but m50 has 45mm. Larger driver means more punch and bass. I know this is not always true. Much depends on designing driver and housing.
But one reviewed higher modals of xb series. Xb400 has only 30mm driver. So it's not fair to compare lower xb series with xb920.

You are probably right that XB920 sounds better than the lower models, but I do think you can not go wrong with the M50 which now is even cheaper.
You could look at the AKG K67 as well, going cheap now at bajaao.com.

Hi shibashis

How much cheaper m50 is available?
I am getting at 11800 approximately online. Tried Amazon, flipkart, eBay and snapdeal.
Xb920 around 10000-10800

Hi shibashis
I want to use this headphone with my iPhone. Does m50x requires amp for using it in iphone?

Hi shibashis
I want to use this headphone with my iPhone. Does m50x requires amp for using it in iphone?

Have not used it with an iPhone of course but with an iPod touch. Does not require an amp but I have used one, sound is better with an amplifier but it is not bad without the amp either, will go sufficiently loud as well.

That's a big difference in price. There is no way of knowing the difference unless someone has heard both side by side.
I have a m30 and a friend has a m50. Both are very good with the 50 having slightly more bass extension that's audible. Can't say anything from the paper specs.
Suggest you wait till someone comes up with a comparison. You usually never loose out by waiting. You might save money if prices fall when a newer model comes out ! In the meantime Google for the two phones and see what they think about them globally. Someone might have put up a comparative test.

Looks like you never did your homework...checking out on Google.
Here is one link:
http://head-phones.findthebest.com/compare/3059-3738/Sony-MDR-XB920-vs-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x

As I understand it the m50x is a better sounding headphone but the xb920 is far more sensitive. So if you are using it with some portable device the Sony will sound much louder at the same volume setting. Some portable devices have very low output and there the 920 will be able to go much louder than the m50x. Check out the specs and you can calculate to see how loud the m50x can go on that machine. Over 100 dB spl will damage your ear with time ! While you will not loose your hearing your sensitivity to sound and HF sound will deteriorate slowly !

Last edited:
Hi fantastic
I searched Internet a lot before posting here. Didn't find any direct comparison between these two. Not even the review on any reliable site for xb920. Only few YouTube and Amazon

The link you have given I have already checked but that info is not useful

How is the sound quality and bass?

How much you have paid?

Do you able to connect the headphone and mobile with 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable. (Not the cable they have given) I am asking because if the given cables are spoiled after couple of years then normal Auxiliary will work or not?

How is the sound quality with mobile?(with out using the amplifier)

Please suggest us.

Thanks in advance,
Jeevan

Back