Confused!!! ::: Media Player vs. HTPC vs. WiFi Router

I'm not sure of that because yesterday with an old nvdia driver (327.23) I use OpenCL and I NNEDI3. The GPU even in 64 neurons was fully loaded. I couldn't use with 128 n....

NNEDI3 is recently introduced to MadVR v0.87.10. It is basically a super high quality upscalling engine which demand more and more hardware power GPU as well as CPU. I have recently upgraded my HTPC by including Asus GTX 750Ti and Core i3 4th gen. CPU (4130) and corsair vengeance 4gb ddr3 RAM. It works perfectly for the following settings --

Chroma upscalling > NNEDI3 > 64Neurons;
Luma/image upscalling > Jinc>3 taps>AR;
Image doubling
NNEDI3 double luma resolution > always > 32 Neurons
NNEDI3 quadruple luma resolution > always > 32 Neurons
Luma/image Downscalling > Cutmull-Rom > AR+LL
Rendering > Dithering > Error Diffusion - Option 1
Artifact removal > both Medium.
As you mentioned, if you want to use 128 nurons or more then you require even more powerful GPU which can better and faster calculate Open CL and Direct Compute II features of your GPU. Basically modern HTPC powered by MPC-HC/MPC-BE + MadVR v0.87.10 + LAV Filters + ReClock is required very powerful Gaming DirectX 11 GPU (One or more) which is more capable of using OpenCL and DirectCompute 5.0

And of course these settings give me the highest picture quality and top class upscalling of SD and lower HD content. One word I can say now 'WOW'.

What were u trying to play. and why would you use old nvidia drivers.
Current nvidia drivers have some bug which create some problem using OpenCL and DirectCompute 5.0 but the older nvidia driver 327.23 don't have such problems, it works nice....

Thanks Calvin, want to avoid the complex setup of the HTPC - dont have time for that... tell me, are there any media players which receive added formats compatibility via regular firmware updates?
This is where a media player looses over HTPC, however on the other hand most media players support popular codes/formats. If not you can convert/remux those into MKV so if you are in favor of a media player only don't worry much about that.

it all depends on the media you're gonna play:cool::cool:

htpc will be anyday better and more flexible and equipped for anything out there as you said

a media player will have format restrictions and play only formats that it supports

if you're gonna play mostly original disks BD/DVD then a BD/DVD player will do

if you're gonna play digital media stored on HDD a media player like oplay

HTPC well :D:D need I say more ?

and you don't need a GHTPC like russo200 for that :lol::lol:

Last edited:
laptop is not a good option since you mentioned in earlier post about the experience... i think that was due to heating issues and low config
HD content is heavy for the lappy

Back