Confused!! NEED HELP

jk_chaos

Guys, I own a denon pma 510 and a marantz cd 6002. Now I've got an acer emachine e725 laptop which I wana use as a source. I've got loads of my mp3s stored here...Now how do i go about it? Now I am using a DAC interconnect that connects the headphone out from my laptop to the LINE IN in my amp. I am not happy with the sound this way. So what do I do to get things changed?

One problem I am having is the laptop is a low end one with a USB out and a headphone out.. No optical/co axial stuff..

HELP ME PLEASEE

One problem I am having is the laptop is a low end one with a USB out and a headphone out.. No optical/co axial stuff..
HELP ME PLEASEE

USB out..?? didn't get that..

Which DAC u r using.. der r lot of threads regarding DACs in this forum.. may be changing DAC may result in good quality sound..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply sagar

I dont use a DAC.. Just that the lap top has a couple of USB outputs and a headphone output. Nothing else..
As for me I connect the headphone out to the amp

Guys, I own a denon pma 510 and a marantz cd 6002. Now I've got an acer emachine e725 laptop which I wana use as a source. I've got loads of my mp3s stored here...Now how do i go about it? Now I am using a DAC interconnect that connects the headphone out from my laptop to the LINE IN in my amp. I am not happy with the sound this way. So what do I do to get things changed?

HELP ME PLEASEE

You can buy a usb dac or an external sound card with optical or co-axial output.

Thanks for the reply sagar

I dont use a DAC.. Just that the lap top has a couple of USB outputs and a headphone output. Nothing else..
As for me I connect the headphone out to the amp

You can get a USB DAC.. search for DACs in the forum.. u'll get lot of options.. it'll take input from USB and will give you 2.0/2.1/5.1 out which you can use as input to ur AVR..

You can get a USB DAC.. search for DACs in the forum.. u'll get lot of options.. it'll take input from headphone out and will give you 2.0/2.1/5.1 out which you can use as input to ur AVR..

USB DACS connect directly to the usb port of the computer, not to the headphone out.

@jk_chaos - what is your budget for a dac or external sound card? Does your amp has optical or coaxial input?

USB DACS connect directly to the usb port of the computer, not to the headphone out.

@jk_chaos - what is your budget for a dac or external sound card? Does your amp has optical or coaxial input?

ooops.... my bad.. wanted to type usb.. :lol: Corrected the post..

I am sure the laptop would have wifi capabilities. How about using a streamer like squeezebox duet or squeezebox touch or sonos.

Your budget would define the options.

@ baiju - The amp has no optical or co axial input!!

Well yes the laptop does have wifi options and I have been reading a bit on the squeezebox. Never got that idea clearly.. Would someone mind explaining??

How a lossy format like MP3 could possibly sound great even using an external DAC, in fact it would sound more pathetic on good amp/speaker's setup. Have you tried with source like ACD ?

Regards ...

HELP ME PLEASEE

DAC way
---------

from your pc's usb > usb input of dac > output of dac > your amplifier

Squeezebox
-------------

Squeezebox software on your pc > wifi > squeezebox in > squeezebox output > amp

Try using a HRT music streamer- you can read the review in What hifi. It takes your USB out from the laptop and can give a stereo out to your amp. You can check the prices on Amazon- shouldnt be more than 6k
Happy listening

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back