Confused over the PS3 bundle ... help !!!!

manu79

:sos::

Ok now that i got all your attention, here's what i am looking for. I decided to take the plunge and get myself a ps3 ( to be paired with a panny v20) ...

Btw my sweet wifey is getting me the console, so i need to get it really fast before she changes her mind :D... enough of blah blah , here's the prob....

I guess there are 3 bundles available r8 now the 160gb w\o games , the 320gb with 2 free game(resistance 2 and motorstorm) and the 320gb move bundle with only demo stuff...

Considering that the move controller prices may come down after sometime or i can get it from someone coming over from US\SGP or some place where its priced low, i could narrow down to the 320gb with 2 games, or the 160 gb vanilla version with no games and use the diff money to get some other game like EFLC or burnout ...

Resistance 2 dint look very interesting to me, personally ... and i have no idea what to expect from motor storm otherwise i am almost willing to try this out the key thing being the 320gb hdd....

So what do the Xperts suggest, should i pick the 320gb with 2 free games or the 160gb and use the diff money to get a diff game .... I know for a fact that the extra space on the 320gb will come in handy for say storing movies or songs ...etc so that brings to my next question :

How many games can one install on an avg in the 160gb version when compared to the 320gb version, just an approx number will do ....

Last edited:
Depends on the games. God of War 3 is 40Gb others are even 6GB.

I'd suggest get the 160GB and later upgrade the HDD to 500GB. Will still cost less.

Also if you know how to, jailbreak. Thats what I am planning to do and buying the 160GB.

Just a bit of advice, if you jailbreak, I'm not sure if you will be able to upgrade your firmware without bricking the PS3. And newer games like Gran Turismo 5 are going to require firmware 3.50

Just a bit to think about before jailbreaking.

hi ,
go 4 320 gb move bumdle .its worth buying it.dont worry about games as move bundle is for rs 3650 with demo cd. so if u choose 120 gb for 19900 u will loose 120 gb plus move bundle.so plz go4 move bundle .its worth having .

Just a bit of advice, if you jailbreak, I'm not sure if you will be able to upgrade your firmware without bricking the PS3. And newer games like Gran Turismo 5 are going to require firmware 3.50

Just a bit to think about before jailbreaking.
If you knew how JB works, you'd not have said that.

And there are already ways to bypass 3.50 check for the newer games.

@manu.

this thread would have better served purpose if u could say what are ur fav genres. :).

Anyways.

PS3 HDD can be upgraded. so thats that. And u can buy any games ofcourse.

SO if u think u can get the extra HDD, games and the price difference doesnt matter get the 160GB one.

Or if the price difference between the 160 and 320 is say 1~2k. get the 320. I havent checked the prices for like few weeks so.

Anyways as @Vashista said the user @zer got no idea abt ps3 jb, so u can ignore that post.

@vahsita..

3.50 bypass is verified?.

"Considering that the move controller prices may come down after sometime or i can get it from someone coming over from US\SGP or some place "

Manu,
i own a ps3 from last 2 years. The prices of sony products rarely go down ( as i have noticed). Dont bank on the prices that u get out of india.
I suggest purchase all your ps3 and ps3 accessories in india itself.
My friend who tried such things ended up disliking the purchases he made out of india. I am a happy customer purchasing the sony ps3 accessories in india
Do let me know if u have doubt

I personally didnt feel the move bundle that great, at least as of now. I think i will stick with the 320gb bundle with 2 free games ... btw i have a croma voucher for 1000 bucks and a 2.5% emp discount :p....

Any idea which a wired controller should i get, i need an additonal one (wired should do) just in case some friends r coming over. I guess there's some kinda adapter which allows the an old ps2 controller to be used with the PS3. Or are there wired ones available for the PS3 which can be used w\o adapters ?

@manu , get the 160 gb bundle , as m-jeri said the hdd is replaceable with any SATA 2.5" so don't bother falling into the extra hdd trap. second of all both games included in the 320gb bundle are way old. you could get them both in about 2k (pre-owned) but i wouldn't bother because only pluses were they were good MP games and now no one plays em so why bother :p instead get Black ops or GT5 or a good SP game tonnes of PS3 exclusives waiting for you.

both the 320gb and 160gb versions have the latest ps3 slim mobo with 40nm RSX chip so even at that front you're safe and you get the same DS3 controller. so why not invest that extra money on games that you are most likely to play instead of giving it away to some marketing gimmick ;)

edit: i just read you also wanted to know if you could install games on the internal ps3 hdd , the answer is no (not sure with JB) , the games do have an install folder but that just goes upto a few hundred MB's . As far as saving movies photos and songs are concerned i wouldn't advise that either for a simple fact that PS3 hdd crashes are quite normal and that would be really bad to loose out on all the precious content with out a back up . so you are better of getting your self an external hdd for the media uses. you can format it using Swiss-knife (s/w) and bypass the partition size constraint of the FAT32 FS.

Last edited:
^^

Not quite.

I know simply a lot of ps3 users. online and offline. none has reported a failed HDD crash case. maybe YLOD/Freezes and what nots. even that not in a alarming rate. so telling that HDD crash is a common thing is absolutely wrong.

And yea games can be installed in ps3 but doesnt mean u can play without the disc or something like that.

In JB u can either rip/copy to internal and play it up with a the Backup manager. but it does need a PS3 original game disc in drive. ANY GAME DISC ALTHOUGH.

^^ may be i am too paranoid to trust the ps3's data retention capability, but with random power cuts and improper shutdowns of the PS3 my data is better off on a USB (personal preference no hard feelings)

and as far as playing legit goes , the only installation that happens is the game data which helps you gain a few seconds at loading screens , and not dump the entire game like the JB , so it ends up taking much lesser space than a JB full length game dump would take, few hundred MB's like mentioned in my previous post.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back