Confused :: TV Buying in India below 60,000 INR

Since you own, how is motion processing in IPL, football etc? RTings gave poor motion score and that's one reason I suggested the Philip's. The only few comparison videos in the youtube between philips and hisense show poor motion interpolation during panning scenes. Did toshiba processing improve that?
For IPL the motion seems really good with Tata sky. Regular 24 fps movies also seem fine with no artifacts. I've turned judder reduction to max in sports picture mode and now cricket looks butter smooth. Don't watch football, but shouldn't be much different.

Regarding motion processing on other(non sports) content, it does look poor with it enabled. However disabling the processing gave me zero issues with no artefacts. Even hard to process videos look fine.

I use this video for testing motion:
. It's a ridiculously hard video to process and enabling motion processing to even 1/10 gave bad results. Disabling gave no issues though.

Response time won't be an issue on Indian streams since we don't get any 60 fps content. The response time for this TV is 24ms. For 30 fps content you need 33ms which this TV achieves nicely.

Can anyone tell me the viewing angle for u7980. I need a TV for my hall with very little straight viewing. Shortlisted u7980 or panasonic gx800d or will go with chinese budget tv in 55inch variant

Most VA panels have similar viewing angles. The exceptions are the ones with wide angle filters.

How much you notice the brightness loss especially depends on your eye. I'm sitting in front of my parent's TV watching IPL. My is right in front of the edge of the TV, so about 15° off axis from the center of the TV. The other side is about 28-30°. The bar at the bottom showing the score is noticeably dimmer on the other side. If I move my head to that side by leaning, the bar quickly gain brightness on that side.

Rtings data shows that by 30°, VA panels lose close to 20% of the brightness. At 45°, they lose close to 40% of the brightness. That's huge. Will you notice it? I don't know.

For me, VA panels are viewable only if you're sitting within 20-25° from the center. So if it's a 55-inch TV and you're 8-9 feet away, that means just the three seats directly in front are getting a decent picture. Any seats on the side are losing 40-50% of brightness on the far edge, impacting the contrast of the image a lot. The bigger the TV, the more the shift from one edge to the other when watching from the side.

This is why larger FALD sets included wide angle filter even if it meant losing some contrast, because in a 75-inch TV, even if you sit right in the center, you're 15-20% of the brightness on the edges. Even a squeaky clean panel will seem to vignette. Now Sony has introduced that filter to 55-inch X950G too. It's needed.

Don't get the series S. It costs 35k and has nothing to show for it. It has 1/3rd the performance of the Series X, still costs 70% of the price and lacks a blu ray player.

If you don't care about blu ray, wait for the digital version of PS5. It will cost around 40k and perform a lot better than Series S. Or you can spend 50k and get the Series X if you care about game pass.

For casual gaming, Toshiba will be okay I guess. But I'd highly suggest the Frame unless you're very casual about gaming (no AAA games).
Series S is on sale at 29,999 during BBD. Club that with the 1.5-2K card discount, its not a bad deal.
You can then get 3 years of game pass ultimate for around 7.5K which brings your overall expenses to 36K which is doable.
I am a PS guy through and though but Xbox isn't too bad for casual players and people who aren't into PS exclusives.

Series S is on sale at 29,999 during BBD. Club that with the 1.5-2K card discount, its not a bad deal.
You can then get 3 years of game pass ultimate for around 7.5K which brings your overall expenses to 36K which is doable.
I am a PS guy through and though but Xbox isn't too bad for casual players and people who aren't into PS exclusives.
You can spend 5k and get a ps2 as well. Ultimately the 27k is meaningless because XSS would have substandard performance and would likely struggle with games couple of years down the line.

Can anyone tell me the viewing angle for u7980. I need a TV for my hall with very little straight viewing. Shortlisted u7980 or panasonic gx800d or will go with chinese budget tv in 55inch variant
Me too confused between Toshiba u7980 and Panasonic GX800D. Which one is better? Dont feel spending 30k extra for Samsung Frame is worth it. Can someone help me choose here?

Me too confused between Toshiba u7980 and Panasonic GX800D. Which one is better? Dont feel spending 30k extra for Samsung Frame is worth it. Can someone help me choose here?
If viewing angles are important to you beyond 45 degrees, you can get the GX800D or any other IPS panel. Else, the U79 can't be matched in pure picture quality. 700 nits brightness, native contrast of VA and FALD is unheard in this price range previously in India. Especially if your room is dim and you can turn the blinds/curtains to block outside light, there is no competition.

I've seen a lot of higher-end TVs, and consider myself very sensitive to image quality, but this panel(U79) has still impressed me for the price. Obviously, you can spend more and get more (like for the Frame).

Thanks @lightgamer & @iambatman28 for the reply.

For gaming I'm pretty sure it would be occasional (mostly for some racing games and FIFA which I think is AAA category games). That said I don't think I'll buy one this year. Will wait for the reviews to come out and then maybe buy sometime next year (let's see how the PS5 digital edition is priced though I'm interested in Xbox primarily for the gamepass which seems to work for a casual user like me). And I'm not sure how much time I'll have to enjoy the console. I like the thought of one in the living room though :)

My first choice is the Frame since it's slightly more future proof in terms of gaming (and hopefully we'll soon see 60fps sports in India). If I can get one closer to 70k I'll get it else I'll postpone the buy to next year. Better TVs in the horizon as always ;)

In any case, Toshiba U7980 is currently out of stock for Delhi. Even the Frame 55 is out of stock in the Samsung store (but available on Flipkart).

Not sure if anyone can comment: Compared to my current TV (Iffalcon 49f2A) is the Samsung Frame a huge difference in terms of PQ/Movie/Sports on Hotstar/Netflix/Prime (I don't have DTH connection). I'm asking since the Frame is not available for checking PQ in offline stores and I have to go by reviews and user feedback.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot @lightgamer @Marakk for your reply. Really appreciate.
U7980 is cutoff from my list then.
I already have hisense 43inch a71. Its a small room with straight on viewing so VA panel is fine.
So its between panasonic gx800 & chinese budget TV's.

Thanks a lot @lightgamer @Marakk for your reply. Really appreciate.
U7980 is cutoff from my list then.
I already have hisense 43inch a71. Its a small room with straight on viewing so VA panel is fine.
So its between panasonic gx800 & chinese budget TV's.

If you go for an IPS panel, definitely add bias lighting behind it and keep the lights on in the room too, even if dim.

Don't get the series S. It costs 35k and has nothing to show for it. It has 1/3rd the performance of the Series X, still costs 70% of the price and lacks a blu ray player.

If you don't care about blu ray, wait for the digital version of PS5. It will cost around 40k and perform a lot better than Series S. Or you can spend 50k and get the Series X if you care about game pass.

For casual gaming, Toshiba will be okay I guess. But I'd highly suggest the Frame unless you're very casual about gaming (no AAA games).
if you are getting a xbox, then get 3 yr gamepass ultimate for 7.5k. It is best deal that you can get and moreover microsoft acquired bethesda, so, you can expect a lot of exclusive for that.

If viewing angles are important to you beyond 45 degrees, you can get the GX800D or any other IPS panel. Else, the U79 can't be matched in pure picture quality. 700 nits brightness, native contrast of VA and FALD is unheard in this price range previously in India. Especially if your room is dim and you can turn the blinds/curtains to block outside light, there is no competition.

I've seen a lot of higher-end TVs, and consider myself very sensitive to image quality, but this panel(U79) has still impressed me for the price. Obviously, you can spend more and get more (like for the Frame).
Frame is 2020 model or 2019. Some people are saying Serif is 2020 model.

You can spend 5k and get a ps2 as well. Ultimately the 27k is meaningless because XSS would have substandard performance and would likely struggle with games couple of years down the line.

Not everyone wants 4K gaming. Series S is not built for it. However, given that the only diff from X is the 4TFPS GPU, it can do 1080P well with the Zen2 CPU. This is simply gaming on a BUDGET!!!!
Your argument sounds stupid here. Its equivalent to someone asking if a cheaper TV is good and your answer being "Don't Buy a TV at all".
But this is a TV thread and i don't wanna drag this any further.

Last edited:
Not everyone wants 4K gaming. Series S is not built for it. However, given that the only diff from X is the 4TFPS GPU, it can do 1080P well with the Zen2 CPU. This is simply gaming on a BUDGET!!!!
Your argument sounds stupid here. Its equivalent to someone asking if a cheaper TV is good and your answer being "Don't Buy a TV at all".
But this is a TV thread and i don't wanna drag this any further.
That is fine. However, getting a 4k 120Hz TV and then pairing with the Series S is a waste IMO. Either you go high end with 4k 120 and Series X, or just pair a 1440p 144Hz panel (which are <30k nowadays) with the Series S.

However, if you want a TV as well, I guess the Series S should do fine there. In that case, please wait a bit as 4k 120Hz TVs will get a lot cheaper next year due to the consoles and increased demand. Alternatively, you can get a TV which can do 4k 60 and 1440p 120Hz.

Planning to buy 1 of the below 3 55” tvs depending on offers.
Don’t know if I’ll be able to audition all 3 so from those who have, as far as display is concerned where would you rank the Sony 7500 (currently 70k) among the Frame 2020 & the Tcl 7980 (47k). Is it 1. Frame 2. Sony & 3.Toshiba?

Planning to buy 1 of the below 3 55” tvs depending on offers.
Don’t know if I’ll be able to audition all 3 so from those who have, as far as display is concerned where would you rank the Sony 7500 (currently 70k) among the Frame 2020 & the Tcl 7980 (47k). Is it 1. Frame 2. Sony & 3.Toshiba?
As far as panel quality is concerned, it's U7980 > Frame >>>> X7500H. For overall TV experience, I'd say Frame > U7980 >> X7500H as Frame is 120Hz, has HDMI 2.1, looks amazing when wall-mounted, and is a well-known TV.

All Sony TVs below their 9000 line up are not even worth considering. They are edge-lit, have <400 nits brightness and are just not worth the astronomical Sony tax.

The Frame has both 2020 and 2019 model. Serif is a different TV. Don't go for the 2019 model of Frame, 2020 is a lot better.
I guess I will end up Buying Frame as Toshiba U7980 is not available @Chandigarh/Panchkula/Mohali.

It is available on Flipkart and Reliance digital - but out of stock for any Tricity Zipcode. Shall I wait for couple of weeks ? ?

That is fine. However, getting a 4k 120Hz TV and then pairing with the Series S is a waste IMO. Either you go high end with 4k 120 and Series X, or just pair a 1440p 144Hz panel (which are <30k nowadays) with the Series S.

However, if you want a TV as well, I guess the Series S should do fine there. In that case, please wait a bit as 4k 120Hz TVs will get a lot cheaper next year due to the consoles and increased demand. Alternatively, you can get a TV which can do 4k 60 and 1440p 120Hz.
Not suggesting that anyone get a Series S but just mentioned that for anyone whoz looking at gaming on a budget, this is the only option (Clubbed with Gamepass of course). The console is just a cherry on top of a great TV.

I already have a C9 and would import the PS5 on launch. But for people who arnt keep on paying 70$ for all upcoming games and 50K on X or PS5, Series S is just an alternative and a decent buy during BBD.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back