Confusion between 5.1.2 vs 7.1

Nchavva

I am planning to upgrade my 5.0 setup to 5.1.2 or 7.1. which is the correct update?

1. Amazon prime and Netflix are 5.1 only
3. All resonal hd channel are 5.1
4. Start movies hd is 7.1
5. Tata sky hd is 7.1

So atoms content availability is very very less.

So i am planning for 7.1 please share your suggestions.

Current speaker taga 606-v3
Avr denon 1300x

IF your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you can do a 7.1 layout with a pair of speakers at your sides and another pair a few feet behind you. Advantage is separation between sounds at your sides vs sounds behind you.

IF your seating is at or near the back wall, then do a 5.1 layout (no space behind you for the rear speakers) and add a couple of speakers above you for a 5.1.2 layout. Advantage is separation between sounds around you vs sounds above you.

The number of channels in the source material doesn't matter. Everything can be scaled to your speaker layout, whether you choose to do 7.1 or 5.1.2.

If we have to compare between 5.1.2 top speaker vs front height, which one is recommended?

I am loving the surround effect already in my 5.1 setup. Now am trying to expand it.

Hi Nchava..... discs that really do beyond 5.1 are scarce. All audyssey systems extrapolate. So if you buy one, you can decide where you want the sound to come from. I just stream movies, and the Marantz just extrapolates beautifully, including sound from my 4 over head speakers.

I would go for 5.1.2 as there are few sources that do 7.1. But more material is being published in Atmos.

You can possibly do both. My Yamaha 7 channel receiver has nine terminals and can change between 7.1 and 5.1.2 depending on the source material without any change of wires. Of course you will need nine speakers instead of seven to achieve this.

I would go for 5.1.2 as there are few sources that do 7.1. But more material is being published in Atmos.

You can possibly do both. My Yamaha 7 channel receiver has nine terminals and can change between 7.1 and 5.1.2 depending on the source material without any change of wires. Of course you will need nine speakers instead of seven to achieve this.
Interesting option, your receiver model ?

Apple TV 4k is the main option currently for Dolby Atmos with almost all 4k purchases/rentals from Itunes offer this. But more and more content expected to be added to Amazon Prime and Netflix in future.

Apple TV 4k is the main option currently for Dolby Atmos with almost all 4k purchases/rentals from Itunes offer this. But more and more content expected to be added to Amazon Prime and Netflix in future.
Purchase / Rent is affordable compared to other platforms.

Hopefully Apple Netflix merger comes through this year. :)

I installed 7.1 system using Bose AM 10 (5.1 setup) and AM 5 (2.1 setup) without ceiling mount already. As I was told that ceiling mount is not necessary for getting atmos effect as Bose speaker can produce the effect without ceiling mount. But the Dolby lab is suggesting to mount speakers in the ceiling.
I am using Yamaha RX V681 AVR.
So, can I get the atmos effect from my existing 7.1 setup with some settings in AVR? Can YAPO help in this regard?

I installed 7.1 system using Bose AM 10 (5.1 setup) and AM 5 (2.1 setup) without ceiling mount already. As I was told that ceiling mount is not necessary for getting atmos effect as Bose speaker can produce the effect without ceiling mount. But the Dolby lab is suggesting to mount speakers in the ceiling.
I am using Yamaha RX V681 AVR.
So, can I get the atmos effect from my existing 7.1 setup with some settings in AVR? Can YAPO help in this regard?

No, I don't think so because if an Atmos track has an overhead lightning effect or even rain pouring effect then you imagine for a moment how will these effects sound coming from sides or behind so the best way is to mount speakers in the ceiling for Atmos effects.

Regards
JJ

When you say you have mounted speaker without ceiling mount, how exactly have you placed the speaker in the room ?

I am using Yamaha RX V681 AVR. So, can I get the atmos effect from my existing 7.1 setup with some settings in AVR? Can YAPO help in this regard?

Your AVR should have different options for Atmos speaker layout.. Front heights/ Top front / Top middle / Dolby atmos enabled speaker.. Enabling one of these should help you enjoy Atmos/ Dts X tracks..

Apple tv 4k doesn't support Atmos as of today, hope they implement it in the future.

Just an info, Netflix is streaming the Dolby Atmos content. It will be activated if you are having the ULTRA HD plan and I can view the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound in my LG OLED TV.(Currently Very Few contents are available in TV Series n Movies)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back