Confusion

HI Guys,

I am planning for a A/V Reciever, i have shortlisted two models. Request you ppl in this forum to suggest me which is better in terms of sound quality. My usage will be of both music and movies. The shortlisted models are Sony ddw-885 and onkyo HT-S3105.

HI Guys,

I am planning for a A/V Reciever, i have shortlisted two models. Request you ppl in this forum to suggest me which is better in terms of sound quality. My usage will be of both music and movies. The shortlisted models are Sony ddw-885 and onkyo HT-S3105.

I will take onkyo over sony anyday. Sony is , I don't know how to put it, very hard on your ears at high / mid volumes, its like as if someone is hitting your ears repeatedly till u bleed :p

And this was the experience in chroma, so i suggest u audition both of them in a good showroom with ample space for audition and then decide.

How much does Sony DDW-885 cost? I auditioned a Sony HTIB for around 17K and it sounded very bad compared to the Onkyo 3100/3105. A Sony system around 40K though sounded good, but then an Onkyo system at 40K would sound even better. For HT systems go with Onkyo over Sony.

Thanks guys for your valid inputs, i learnt that S3105 doesnt have the HDMI output but the other model has this option so please suggest me as how to overcome this as well.

Thanks guys for your valid inputs, i learnt that S3105 doesnt have the HDMI output but the other model has this option so please suggest me as how to overcome this as well.

Only the very high end AVRs will do any audio processing, otherwise only video is upscaled via HDMI. For that a DVD player/TV (LCD/Plasma) itself will do and upscaling on entry level AVRs is also not all that good. You can connect via HDMI from DVDP to TV directly and for audio you can connect from DVDP to AVR via coaxial/optical digital cable. That's how I have connected my setup and it works great.

Stick to the Onkyo model over the Sony any day! Don't be fooled by the HDMI thingy. A Component can do 1080p as well as HDMI can!

Stick to the Onkyo model over the Sony any day! Don't be fooled by the HDMI thingy. A Component can do 1080p as well as HDMI can!

True.
But most of the AVRs restrict their component to 720p or max 1080i, and enable only their HDMI ports for carrying 1080p.
After all, they want to sell their higher end models too!

Another vote for Onkyo over Sony. Sony is not particularly strong in mid market AVR space. Onkyo Yamaha Pioneer Marantz Denon Harmon Kardon and few othres are the Gorillas

True.
But most of the AVRs restrict their component to 720p or max 1080i, and enable only their HDMI ports for carrying 1080p.
After all, they want to sell their higher end models too!

Unless you have a TV above 40", its very difficult to differentiate between a 720p/1080i and a 1080p resolution. On TVs with 26" , 32" - 1080p is a moot point, no way you can notice any difference.

I had been to E-Zone today and took a detailed demo on Onkyo 3100/05 and it sounded awesome and the price they are offering is 19,900 and i am planning to go with that model.

you need more htan 50" to distinguish. I could see marginal differences on a 58" for normal DVDs and distinct difference for BluRay using PS3. If you saw one or the other by themselves you would still end up being happy. Budget is your call:)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back