Connecting a non-HDMI DVD player to Denon X1200W

VRavichandar

I have a 7 year old philips DVP 5166. It does not have HDMI or optical. It has coaxial Digital output, component video & composite video out.

My Denon x1200w is already installed. As the back panel is not easily accessible, I referred to the manual (downloaded from US website earlier) which indicated a coaxial digital input and also a pre-out for Zone two. Armed with a borrowed Digital coaxial cable, tried to find the port in the rear - literally groping! To my surprise my unit does not have a Coaxial digital input. Checked the cd manual that came with the unit - it does not show these inputs! Seems the AVR has different builds for different regions :mad:

So I had to connect using Composite video out (this AVR does not support component video) using RCA connectors. Did the necessary source settings. While the music played back well the video was blank. Thought the old cable could be a problem and tried with another. Still the problem persisted.

Tried the built-in set up assistant as the manual is not of help in connecting through composite video input. The asst says signal through video-in cant be output through HDMI :mad:

Can someone help me with this?

Hi

I would recommend to see the manual which would have come with the 1200w.

It would be on the CD provided....please check on the same and accordingly you will know what options are available to hook something analog.

heh. it has two optical and no coaxial. weird. Is the denon connected to the tv via HDMI? you might have to connect rca from Denon to TV.

If the back panel is not easily visible, try pushing your mobile phone (Assuming Andriod and with a reasonable camera) and take pictures.

Post them here. I am sure we can sort it out.

Denon X1200W 230V model does not have Digital Coaxial IN and Zone 2 preout. The US model have these though according to their US site.

If you have a 230V model, then you do not have Coaxial in so you may have to look at a Digital Coaxial to Toslink converter like the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Digital-Coaxial-Optical-Converter/dp/B0011MNHHE

Regarding the Composite Video In to HDMI out...the spec for this model has no indication that it supports video upscaling of analog sources.

I have a 7 year old philips DVP 5166. It does not have HDMI or optical. It has coaxial Digital output, component video & composite video out.

My Denon x1200w is already installed. As the back panel is not easily accessible, I referred to the manual (downloaded from US website earlier) which indicated a coaxial digital input and also a pre-out for Zone two. Armed with a borrowed Digital coaxial cable, tried to find the port in the rear - literally groping! To my surprise my unit does not have a Coaxial digital input. Checked the cd manual that came with the unit - it does not show these inputs! Seems the AVR has different builds for different regions :mad:

So I had to connect using Composite video out (this AVR does not support component video) using RCA connectors. Did the necessary source settings. While the music played back well the video was blank. Thought the old cable could be a problem and tried with another. Still the problem persisted.

Tried the built-in set up assistant as the manual is not of help in connecting through composite video input. The asst says signal through video-in cant be output through HDMI :mad:

Can someone help me with this?

That is a tricky situation. You will be able to get the sound using coaxial to optical adaptors. However, video on rca would ruin the experience.

A sincere advice would be to upgrade to a basic bluray player from the likes of
Sony, Philips, Samsung,LG,etc. That would truly complement your Denon.

MaSh

If the back panel is not easily visible, try pushing your mobile phone (Assuming Andriod and with a reasonable camera) and take pictures.

Post them here. I am sure we can sort it out.

Managed to see the back with a mirror and a flashlight! Confirmed the absence of Zone 2 preout and Digital Coaxial in

Denon X1200W 230V model does not have Digital Coaxial IN and Zone 2 preout. The US model have these though according to their US site.

If you have a 230V model, then you do not have Coaxial in so you may have to look at a Digital Coaxial to Toslink converter like the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Digital-Coaxial-Optical-Converter/dp/B0011MNHHE

Regarding the Composite Video In to HDMI out...the spec for this model has no indication that it supports video upscaling of analog sources.

That sucks right? Most of these manufacturers scrimp when it comes to Asian models.

Thanks for the suggestion but for 100$ I can as well buy a new DVD with HDMI out. Considering that!

That is a tricky situation. You will be able to get the sound using coaxial to optical adaptors. However, video on rca would ruin the experience.

A sincere advice would be to upgrade to a basic bluray player from the likes of
Sony, Philips, Samsung,LG,etc. That would truly complement your Denon.

MaSh

I'm getting the sound through the audio out L/R RCA. Yet to figure out the Video issue. There has to be a way out as there was a post about using this with an older STB (without HDMI in a different country) in a different forum. If I cant then I have to invest in a DVD player with HDMI out.

I'm getting the sound through the audio out L/R RCA. Yet to figure out the Video issue. There has to be a way out as there was a post about using this with an older STB (without HDMI in a different country) in a different forum. If I cant then I have to invest in a DVD player with HDMI out.

For video, you can connect the player to the TV directly, that is if the TV has the input. Does it?

MaSh

For video, you can connect the player to the TV directly, that is if the TV has the input. Does it?

MaSh

Good suggestion. Thanks. My TV has both composite and component video inputs. Even an optical out. But no Digital Coaxial in!:mad: I can connect the video to TV and audio to receiver - but only stereo connection. I wont be able to get 5.1 as the the DVD player has 5 outputs for audio LRC, sub and rearLR!

Good suggestion. Thanks. My TV has both composite and component video inputs. Even an optical out. But no Digital Coaxial in!:mad: I can connect the video to TV and audio to receiver - but only stereo connection. I wont be able to get 5.1 as the the DVD player has 5 outputs for audio LRC, sub and rearLR!

Yes DVD players had that since DVD came in the non HDMI age, none of the modern Bluray player have those connectors, unless you go in for the high end ones, where the processing happens in the player itself. HDMI is the need of the day for both convenience and quality. Still I would suggest, if you really want to enjoy your Denon, upgrade your player to a basic Bluray player that can bit stream the audio over HDMI for the receiver to decode and process it. I used a basic Philips bluray connected to a 1TB hdd for a number of months and it was excellent.

MaSh

Last edited:
You can connect the RCA video input directly to TV ,and the audio L&R cable to the receiver .This will suit your requirement with existing DVD player.
However you can't able to experience the digital audio formats using RCA audio cables.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back