Connecting Home Theater to Samsung D6000 LED TV

Thats one option. As I said in my previous post, you have a cheaper option although I am not sure if it will work. That is, just buying the ep to rca cable and connecting your headphone out of the tv with the R audio L audio in of your ht. Why I am suggesting this is that the poor SQ maybe due to the mic in of your ht, and not due to the head phones out of your tv. Try this method first, if it doesn't work, then go for option 1.
So by option 1 you mean the toslink converter and the other option you are discussing here is the rca converter.
How is it that audio in/mic-in converter from the HT when used to connect to the TV is resulting in not so good quality.

why are you using regular composite video to connect the dvd player? You need to use component video (3 colour cable) to hook up the dvd player to the tv. Component Video will give you the best pic quality. Composite video will give you inferior video quality. HDMI is the best but if your system does not have any, then use Component Video.
Aakash not sure about the two terms Composite Video and Component Video.
There is no digital audio on the system for 5.1, will have to make do with analog. You might want to consider upgrading to any 5.1 system later on.........perhaps the Onkyo HTS 3500, perfect entry level HT system.
Currently don't have the budget to go for a new HT. How much would this model cost me?

So by option 1 you mean the toslink converter and the other option you are discussing here is the rca converter.
How is it that audio in/mic-in converter from the HT when used to connect to the TV is resulting in not so good quality.

I don't know the reason behind it but a friend of mine also has a low-end htib from philips and he gets a much better quality using rca than mic in. But I am not sure of this option. The one I told you first will definitely solve your problem, this is more of trial and error.

@ak47. Does it make sense to upgrade to a new HT?

If you want a good HT, and are not satisfied with your current one, then yeah, absolutely. You can get a good htib <30k which will make a huge difference in your viewing experience. And since your ht lacks digital ins, you won't be able to enjoy surround sound that much it.

Aakash not sure about the two terms Composite Video and Component Video.

Currently don't have the budget to go for a new HT. How much would this model cost me?

Suggest to hold on to this for now and upgrade when budget permits. To explain the Connections in order from high quality to low.
VIDEO : HDMI/DVI, Component, Composite, RF
AUDIO : HDMI/Optical/Coaxial, Stereo

Now, your system does not have all the above outputs so we have to make do with the best we can. For VIDEO I do see component out video but you have not used it. Suggest you to remove the video cable from MONITOR OUT and use COMPONENT VIDEO (the 3 colour outputs Red, Blue, Green). Hope that clarifies.

Please feel free to revert. If you do wanna upgrade then the ONKYO HT-S3500 would be your best bet. It's the best budget 5.1 system for the price. The HT-S3400 has now been replaced with the newer HT-S3500.

Suggest to hold on to this for now and upgrade when budget permits. To explain the Connections in order from high quality to low.
VIDEO : HDMI/DVI, Component, Composite, RF
AUDIO : HDMI/Optical/Coaxial, Stereo

Now, your system does not have all the above outputs so we have to make do with the best we can. For VIDEO I do see component out video but you have not used it. Suggest you to remove the video cable from MONITOR OUT and use COMPONENT VIDEO (the 3 colour outputs Red, Blue, Green). Hope that clarifies.

Please feel free to revert. If you do wanna upgrade then the ONKYO HT-S3500 would be your best bet. It's the best budget 5.1 system for the price. The HT-S3400 has now been replaced with the newer HT-S3500.
Aakash thanks for the details. My primary concern right now is that when I try to play a movie from a pen drive connected to the TV I need the audio to come out of the Home theater system hence as suggested by baijuxavior I have connected the Audio In port with the Headphone port of the TV. After I do this I find that the quailty of the sound is not that great leave alone 5.1.

The setup you suggested will work good if I'm trying to play a DVD from my Sony DVD Player cum amplifier which is working as expected.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Aakash thanks for the details. My primary concern right now is that when I try to play a movie from a pen drive connected to the TV I need the audio to come out of the Home theater system hence as suggested by baijuxavior I have connected the Audio In port with the Headphone port of the TV. After I do this I find that the quailty of the sound is not that great leave alone 5.1.

The setup you suggested will work good if I'm trying to play a DVD from my Sony DVD Player cum amplifier which is working as expected.

There are 2 types of audio......digital audio and stereo. To get 5.1 you need digital audio. If you want digital audio from your TV while playing movies from your pen drive your TV needs to have a digital audio out. Most hi end TVs nowadays support digital audio out. But, in case your TV does not have the same, then I am afraid there is no way of transmitting 5.1 digital audio from the TV to the HT system.

Also, please do not use the headphone jack of the TV, as the name suggests it is only for headphones. There should be a AUDIO OUT on the tv, that will give you decent stereo audio.

Hope that clarifies.

Hi, just had a look at the specs of your tv:

DMI 4
USB 3
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV) 2 (1: Common Use for Component Y)
Digital Audio Out (Optical) 1
PC In (D-sub) 1
RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input) 1
RF In (Satellite Input) No
Headphone 1
PC Audio In (Mini Jack) 1
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) 1 (Common Use for PC Audio In)
Audio Out (Mini Jack) No
Ethernet (LAN) 1

If you notice, it clearly says there is Digital Audio Out (Optical). You need to run an optical cable from the TV to the HT system, provided the HT system has a optical in. This will solve all your audio problems and will give you full digital 5.1 audio.

Hi, just had a look at the specs of your tv:

DMI 4
USB 3
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV) 2 (1: Common Use for Component Y)
Digital Audio Out (Optical) 1
PC In (D-sub) 1
RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input) 1
RF In (Satellite Input) No
Headphone 1
PC Audio In (Mini Jack) 1
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) 1 (Common Use for PC Audio In)
Audio Out (Mini Jack) No
Ethernet (LAN) 1

If you notice, it clearly says there is Digital Audio Out (Optical). You need to run an optical cable from the TV to the HT system, provided the HT system has a optical in. This will solve all your audio problems and will give you full digital 5.1 audio.
So what is the solution for this then? Any suggestions?

can you confirm if your HT has optical audio in. If yes, then run an optical cable from tv to HT. ALso, the tv does not have any audio out which is weird. I guess if it has digital audio out then who needs stereo. ok, let's look at your solutions:

1. Get an HT system that supports optical audio.
2. Get a media player and hook it up to the HT system. Then hook up the usb drive to the media player. So you will be able to play all your video files directly to the HT system.
3. Did you figure out the monitor out problem, component and not composite?

can you confirm if your HT has optical audio in. If yes, then run an optical cable from tv to HT. ALso, the tv does not have any audio out which is weird. I guess if it has digital audio out then who needs stereo. ok, let's look at your solutions:

2. Get a media player and hook it up to the HT system. Then hook up the usb drive to the media player. So you will be able to play all your video files directly to the HT system.
I'm planning to get HT but not currently. Will have to wait!
How will this option help? The Sony HT has inbuilt AMP in it's Player. So if I connect anything external like Media player will it work?

I didn't get what you are conveying here.

If and when you do, look at the onkyo HT-S3500

How will this option help? The Sony HT has inbuilt AMP in it's Player. So if I connect anything external like Media player will it work?
Yes you can hook up any external devices to the HT system via stereo not digital. So you will still not get true 5.1 audio. What you will get is virtual 5.1 that the receiver does using its built in processing. I am curious since there is also a dvd player, how is digital audio being transmitted from the dvd player to the HT? can you post the pics of all the connections on the main HT unit.

Please refer to the 1st pic you posted where it says MONITOR OUT. you have connected a single video cable from the HT unit to the TV using a single video cable. THIS is composite video cable. you need to change this if you want the best picture quality that your dvd player can transmit. In the same pic, right next to the cable you will see COMPONENT VIDEO MONITOR OUT. There are 3 colour coded jacks. THIS is what you need to use to connect the tv. Use a component video cable easily available in the market.

COLOR="Blue"]If and when you do, look at the onkyo HT-S3500[/COLOR]
I liked the 3500 model but my wife not happy with it. So had to put it on hold!

Yes you can hook up any external devices to the HT system via stereo not digital. So you will still not get true 5.1 audio. What you will get is virtual 5.1 that the receiver does using its built in processing. I am curious since there is also a dvd player, how is digital audio being transmitted from the dvd player to the HT? can you post the pics of all the connections on the main HT unit.

What is Virtual 5.1? DVD player is part of the HT Setup as mentioned earlier. Not a separate unit. Will post pics again.

Please refer to the 1st pic you posted where it says MONITOR OUT. you have connected a single video cable from the HT unit to the TV using a single video cable. THIS is composite video cable. you need to change this if you want the best picture quality that your dvd player can transmit. In the same pic, right next to the cable you will see COMPONENT VIDEO MONITOR OUT. There are 3 colour coded jacks. THIS is what you need to use to connect the tv. Use a component video cable easily available in the market.

Actually I have not used the Monitor out port if you observe in the pic. That port is not used. I have used the Video port instead with the yellow color. Ok so you are saying my current setup is Composite one. Thanks for your suggestion here. but my primary concern was to get an audio with 5.1 output. Anyways I will try the component video option.

Can you also tell me why the quality difference between Component and Composite? If so why two options are available are given here? Also how are these cables different from the Composite video different from Component Video?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back