Connecting my HP laptop to my insignia HTIB

rduncan

I have an Insignia HTIB that I bought a couple of years ago and I still have it because the DVD player is decent and the speakers work well for a small room. Anyways, now that I have a nice laptop, I want to be able to get the full 5.1 surround sound out of it. I recently purchased a creative external sound card so I could hope to achieve my goal.

Currently I have it connected via an RCA cable which only sends out stereo (left and right) signals to the system. Looking at the back of the system, that is the only way I can input sound from any source. Is there something that I am missing or can do to be able to input 5.1 surround from anything other than DVD?

htib
Insignia 200W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with DVD/CD/MP3 Player : Insignia
8254337_ba.jpg

sound card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 | Creative Labs Online Store
41g2P1RbAUL.jpg

laptop
Stevens Institute of Technology: Information Technology: Notebook For Undergraduate Students

THANKS for any help =)

Well it doesnt have 5.1 in OR digital in,it cant decode Dts ,So no option,but to get either seperate set OR 5.1ch amp matching to its spk.

Well it doesnt have 5.1 in OR digital in,it cant decode Dts ,So no option,but to get either seperate set OR 5.1ch amp matching to its spk.

Right ..as it lacks
1) Digital In
2) Analougue 5.1 in

Now your soundcard isone of the better USB cards with 5.1 Out ( I am checking site) so why not buy a decent 5.1 powered PC speakers and connect it to analougue out of your sound card ??
You do not have to go for Exotic PC speakers like Logitec Z-5500 but any good 5.1 speakers set with analougue input will do.

keep usposted with your choices,we may add something...
PS it i nice you give links of products considered,it helps us to nderstand product.

alright thanks thats what I wanted to know. Didn't want to replace it if I had missed something. Ill just upgrade to the Logitech X-540 eventually. I've heard that system and it sounds pretty nice for only $100. I think i saw it cheaper at best buy the other day too. Any better suggestions for around that price?

X-540 5.1 Speaker System

I was also sort of wondering if I could just purchase two speakers for surround and plug them into the sound card (and use my current system for just stereo 2.1). I don't know if that would work.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back