Connecting Sony WH-L600 Headphones to SR6013

Ketan

Hello Friends,

I'm trying to see if there is a way I can connect Sony WH-L600 (https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-rf-headphones/wh-l600) to my Marantz SR6013 in such a way that I can make use of this surround headphones during night hours! This would help me continue enjoy the surround sound with DD, Dolby Logic pro-II and DTS codecs that this headphone supports without disturbing others or neighbors during late hours.
The challenge I see here that the transmitter of this headphone has Optical, HDMI and an analog input. I can connect the optical out from the TV to this headphone. However, my main media players are Nvidia Shield Pro and ATV4K that plays through SR6013. To be able to get the audio codecs I mentioned, I assume the source to the headphone transmitter has to be via Optical or HDMI only.

Those familiar with the zone2 configuration on AVR can help me confirm if I can connect the Zone2 HDMI out from the SR6013 to the HDMI-IN port of the headphone transmitter base and can pass only the audio to the zone2? Continue to pass the video to the TV connected on MainZone? Is that possible? Are there any other ways to connect this?
I should receive the L600s sometime around this week, and trying to figure out what all I can try once they arrived.
Thanks.

Hello Friends,

I'm trying to see if there is a way I can connect Sony WH-L600 (https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-rf-headphones/wh-l600) to my Marantz SR6013 in such a way that I can make use of this surround headphones during night hours! This would help me continue enjoy the surround sound with DD, Dolby Logic pro-II and DTS codecs that this headphone supports without disturbing others or neighbors during late hours.
The challenge I see here that the transmitter of this headphone has Optical, HDMI and an analog input. I can connect the optical out from the TV to this headphone. However, my main media players are Nvidia Shield Pro and ATV4K that plays through SR6013. To be able to get the audio codecs I mentioned, I assume the source to the headphone transmitter has to be via Optical or HDMI only.

Those familiar with the zone2 configuration on AVR can help me confirm if I can connect the Zone2 HDMI out from the SR6013 to the HDMI-IN port of the headphone transmitter base and can pass only the audio to the zone2? Continue to pass the video to the TV connected on MainZone? Is that possible? Are there any other ways to connect this?
I should receive the L600s sometime around this week, and trying to figure out what all I can try once they arrived.
Thanks.

Hi

The way I see the connection is only through the Analog route...i.e the headphones port which is there in the front panel.

You will need to possibly purchase an analog cable which can be joined from the headphones port of AVR to the Headphones transmitter. Regardless the headphones are LEFT and Right. the Transmitter has preset modes to give you effects which you can enjoy using the headphones. Also you will be able to control the volume through AVR.

You will get some surround effect differences when using the headphones and toggling through the different modes.

If there is any Digital processing done by the headphones it would be DD 2.0.

If you are considering using the HDMI Out (Zone 2), it typically would send Video signals and possible some audio. Regardless I believe the output to existing speakers connected will still travel...

Hi

The way I see the connection is only through the Analog route...i.e the headphones port which is there in the front panel.

You will need to possibly purchase an analog cable which can be joined from the headphones port of AVR to the Headphones transmitter. Regardless the headphones are LEFT and Right. the Transmitter has preset modes to give you effects which you can enjoy using the headphones. Also you will be able to control the volume through AVR.

You will get some surround effect differences when using the headphones and toggling through the different modes.

If there is any Digital processing done by the headphones it would be DD 2.0.

If you are considering using the HDMI Out (Zone 2), it typically would send Video signals and possible some audio. Regardless I believe the output to existing speakers connected will still travel...
Thank you for the response. I'll have the device arriving this week and then I'll try out a few things. If I use analog, I'm afraid I'll lose the audio quality vs when I use the HDMI or Optical out! Do I? I wish the media players I use had optical out for Audio.
These are the snaps from the user manual, I'm just trying to understand if there's any way to use he high quality audio from SR6013, even with some sort of converter, it'll be better.
In the image attached, I'll try to connect the HDMI out port marked as zone2 to the transmitter base and see how it goes. I do remember reading that there is an option where TV output can remain in MainZone while audio can be sent to both the zones including zone2. However, the zone2 audio is stereo output, lets see.

The only working option I can think of is using the ARC port on my TV to feed the audio to this transmitter base of L600 and not using any media player in this case. I may be missing the features and benefits of these media players during those sessions, also not all the apps that work with Nvidia Shiled TV would work with LG web OS on my tv. I can still watch all high quality audio content using web OS (like Netflix, Prime Video Disney+hotstar and others, except plex content), those where audio quality doesn't make a very big difference, I'll connect L600 base transmitter to the headphone jack of the SR6013. I'll also try to compare the quality for both these scenarios and see how big difference it makes.

Attachments

• RearPanel.jpg
    RearPanel.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 2
  • zone2.jpg
    zone2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello Friends,

Thanks.
Does your headphone transmitter has HDMI out or its only HDMI Input ?

I own Sony MDR-DS7500 which has HDMI passthrough. All your inputs will go to that Headphone transmitter base and then the HDMI out of headphone base to AVR.

Does your headphone transmitter has HDMI out or its only HDMI Input ?

I own Sony MDR-DS7500 which has HDMI passthrough. All your inputs will go to that Headphone transmitter base and then the HDMI out of headphone base to AVR.
Did you mean 'AVR has HDMI out or its only HDMI input?"
My headphone transmitter seems to have 1>1xAnalog input, 2>1xOptical Input and 3>1xHDMI input. I would like to utilize either Optical or HDMI input on the headphone transmitter base which means I need a source that has either Optical or HDMI out for audio only.

This DS7500 looks fantastic, but costly as well. I wish I'd have known about it earlier, have you got it in India? would you mind sharing your experience, cost and where you sourced it from? THanks.
Type: Sealed dynamic type
Driver unit: 50mm
Frequency Response: 5-25,000 Hz
Impedance: 24 Ω
Power: Built-in lithium ion battery
Battery life: 18 hours
Mass: About 325g
Processor / Transmitter: Controller DSSS
Effect Mode: OFF / Cinema / Game / Voice (Stereo)
Decoder: Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DTS, DTS Neo: 6, MPEG-2 AAC, LPCM 2ch/5.1ch/7.1ch, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Reach: Up to approximately 30m
Audio output: HDMI × 1, × 1 optical
Input terminal: HDMI × 3, × 1 rectangular light, stereo pin jack × 1
Power: DC12V
Mass: About 480g
Dimensions: (width × height × depth). Approximately 252 × 36 × 159mm
Power: Sony 100-240V AC Adapter

Last edited:
Did you mean 'AVR has HDMI out or its only HDMI input?"
My headphone transmitter seems to have 1>1xAnalog input, 2>1xOptical Input and 3>1xHDMI input. I would like to utilize either Optical or HDMI input on the headphone transmitter base which means I need a source that has either Optical or HDMI out for audio only.

This DS7500 looks fantastic, but costly as well. I wish I'd have known about it earlier, have you got it in India? would you mind sharing your experience, cost and where you sourced it from? THanks.
Just checked your model. It doesn't have HDMI out. So only way to connect it to HDMI (ARC) port of TV as mentioned by an user below:

1633432029505.png

DS7500 model is very old. I imported it from Japan thru ebay about 8 years ago for $350 I guess and I never used it in the last 5 years.It might be lying somewhere getting dusty. I am not even sure whether that thing still works :D

But the model which I got is really good. It has HDMI passthrough and 4 HDMI Inputs which can be used as HDMI switch too. When you don't use headphones, the audio is passed to AVR and when you put headphones, the audio to AVR is cut off automatically and will route to headphones. If you don't want to disturb your neighbors or others @ night while watching movies then its a good purchase. The dialogue would be crystal clear and surround sound would be great too for a headphone. It will vibrate a lot in bass heavy scenes.

Enjoy your purchase !

Just checked your model. It doesn't have HDMI out. So only way to connect it to HDMI (ARC) port of TV as mentioned by an user below:

View attachment 62689

DS7500 model is very old. I imported it from Japan thru ebay about 8 years ago for $350 I guess and I never used it in the last 5 years.It might be lying somewhere getting dusty. I am not even sure whether that thing still works :D

But the model which I got is really good. It has HDMI passthrough and 4 HDMI Inputs which can be used as HDMI switch too. When you don't use headphones, the audio is passed to AVR and when you put headphones, the audio to AVR is cut off automatically and will route to headphones. If you don't want to disturb your neighbors or others @ night while watching movies then its a good purchase. The dialogue would be crystal clear and surround sound would be great too for a headphone. It will vibrate a lot in bass heavy scenes.

Enjoy your purchase !
Thanks, yes, I saw it was $600+ currently in the US.
I saw the same update from the user who said it works only with the HDMI (ARC). However, it seems confusing, one of the other users did mention that it does take HDMI audio from a source that can send it over HDMI. If its going to take the audio via HDMI, it should be able to receive it from anywhere, not just the ARC port from the TV (ARC has a specific/additional function of sending audio signal in reverse direction when desired if I go by simple definition) is my understanding. However, I'm not too sure about it till I test that out.

Hello Friends,

Thanks.
There is video passthrough in standby. You can try that. SR 6013 has 3 outputs (2 mirrored and 1 zone2). You can try connecting the HDMI port of the headphone to the second output of zone1 and then put your receiver in standby and see if you get both outputs.
But, the best solution in my opinion would be to use Optical out from the TV in conjunction with standby passthrough of the receiver.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back