Connecting Stereo to TV, how ?

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi:

It will be some years till I get a proper HT, until then I would like my integrated amplifier to do the duty of a 2-channel HT. So, how do I make the connection ?

Help appreciated.:)

Vinod,

More details please. Integrated amp with what? DVD or Hi-Fi unit? Also, what are the connectivity options available?

Also, I am a little confused what you want to achieve? "Connecting stereo to TV" meaning you want the audio to come out of the TV speakers or are you looking for the audio to come out of the stereo unit? I would assume its the stereo unit you mean here, but please provide more details...

Vinod,

More details please. Integrated amp with what? DVD or Hi-Fi unit? Also, what are the connectivity options available?

Also, I am a little confused what you want to achieve? "Connecting stereo to TV" meaning you want the audio to come out of the TV speakers or are you looking for the audio to come out of the stereo unit? I would assume its the stereo unit you mean here, but please provide more details...

Hi Moser:

Well, if I want to watch a movie in HBO or any movies for that matter, i want to instantly switch on my integrated amplifier for the sound to come from FS, for that 2-channel HT effect. For regular programs, sound from TV speakers is fine.

Gears

Panasonic 42 PV8 - Got this 'Monitor Out' at the back, apart from that regular component and composite connections, and head phone socket in front.

Integrated Amplifier - CA 640A V2 - has got all type of input connections.

Speakers - Monitor Audio RS6 connected to integrated amplifer.

Now, how to go about. help pls.

Last edited:
Hi Moser:

Well, when I watch a movie in HBO or any movies for that matter, i will instantly switch on my integrated amplifier for the sound to come from FS, and reduce sound in tv. For regular programs, i will switch off the int. amp. and sound should come from TV speakers only.:confused:

Just curious, why do you do this? There is no harm in having the sound processed via the amp for all sources.

There are two ways of doing this.

1. If you want to connect your TV to the Amplifier.

If you look at the back of TV, most TVs have a Audio and Video out. These will be three RCA sockets colored Yellow, White, and Red. Leave the Red alone. Take a stereo RCA cable and connect the red plug to the red out socket and the white plug to the white out socket. At the other end, connect the cable to the corresponding sockets of the 'Auxiliary In' in you amplifier.

When you play the TV, switch your amp on, and choose Aux. You should now hear all the TV audio amplified through the stereo system.

2. If you are using a DVD Player.

If you are using a DVD Player, you have multiple choices:

a) You can use a digital cable if both the player and the amp have digital connections.
b) You can use a Optical cable if both your DVD Player and amp have optical connections.
c) You can use a RCA cable and connect the Front L&R of the 5.1 output of the player to an 'In' on your amp.

For RCA, you can use any 'In' on you amp other than Phono In. That is only for Record Player.

As Moser has said, if you can tell us what are the connectivity available on your TV, DVD Player, and AMP, we can be more specific.

Cheers

Ok. The following are the connectivity in TV:

1. HDMI AV IN
2. MONITOR OUT
3. AV1 IN - 6 sockets, 3 for component, 3 for composite.
4. AV2 IN - 6 sockets, 3 for component, 3 for composite.
5. AV3 IN - 4 sockets, 1 S-video, 3 composite.
6. PC - DIN connection.
7. AV4 IN - 4 sockets, 3 for composite, 1 for headphone out (front of TV).

Now, connect red and white of RCA to AUX of integrated amplifier and to where in TV from the above connectivity.

Hope I provided enough info.:)

Ok. The following are the connectivity in TV:

1. HDMI AV IN
2. MONITOR OUT
3. AV1 IN - 6 sockets, 3 for component, 3 for composite.
4. AV2 IN - 6 sockets, 3 for component, 3 for composite.
5. AV3 IN - 4 sockets, 1 S-video, 3 composite.
6. PC - DIN connection.
7. AV4 IN - 4 sockets, 3 for composite, 1 for headphone out (front of TV).

Now, connect red and white of RCA to AUX of integrated amplifier and to where in TV from the above connectivity.

Hope I provided enough info.:)

The specs of VIERA TH-42PV8D at VIERA TH-42PV8D | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India mentions

Audio Output - RCA phono type connectors (L, R) (1 set rear: co-use with monitor out), Headphone jack (1 front).

locate the RCA conencters on the rear and use them.

Vinod,

One more bit of info. What is the source? I mean what's the source for the TV? Is it STB based like Dish, Tata Sky, Hathway or cable TV? If STB then its easy, just take the red and white from the STB and connect to the red and white inputs on the integrated amp and that should do it. If analog like in general cable TV then you will need to get the audio out from the TV to the integrated amp. For this there is the audio out near the monitor out on the PV8 in the back as well as the headphone jack in the front. Connect the red and white from the audio out in the rear to the integrated amp and this should do it.

Vinod,

One more bit of info. What is the source? I mean what's the source for the TV? Is it STB based like Dish, Tata Sky, Hathway or cable TV? If STB then its easy, just take the red and white from the STB and connect to the red and white inputs on the integrated amp and that should do it. If analog like in general cable TV then you will need to get the audio out from the TV to the integrated amp. For this there is the audio out near the monitor out on the PV8 in the back as well as the headphone jack in the front. Connect the red and white from the audio out in the rear to the integrated amp and this should do it.

If he has to also listen to audio on TV then connecting the STB to TV and TV outs to amp would be convenient way. If its done the other way the amp has to be switched on always and also must have pre-outs OR he has to fiddle with the cables every time to switch.

If he has to also listen to audio on TV then connecting the STB to TV and TV outs to amp would be convenient way. If its done the other way the amp has to be switched on always and also must have pre-outs OR he has to fiddle with the cables every time to switch.

You are right Amol, but if he has STB then my recommendation would be to listen via the integrated amp and the Monitor Audio all the time. STB would give audio in 2.0 stereo which would sound great on the 2.0 setup Vinod has unlike analog cable signals which really suck. Also, the PV8 has SQ at best that can be termed average. Even for my PV8 I have gone from STB to AVR for audio...

Just now connected red and white of RCA from Aux of int. amplifier to red and white of Monitor Out of PX8. Switched on amp. increased volume, no sound, why ?

hey I heard the the tv output has an impedance of 16ohms, and its internal speakers work at that impedance, if that is true, wont it create a problem then any where in the audio chain?

Bravo! Connected red and white of Monitor Out from TV to red and white of Aux in int. amp., switched on tv and amp, perfect, sound comes from Floor Standers now, well, better sound now from STB. If I switch off the amp., i still get sound from TV for other programs, thats excellent.

Thats it for now. Thanks to Moser, Venkat, and the other friend here (forgot ur id sorry), for chipping in with their valuable thoughts.:)

thanks anmol and others for your tips, sorry for butting in, but i was wondering how i could connect a headphone to my samsung plano tv with composite audio and video outputs in front, this tv does not have any headphone socket.

thanks anmol and others for your tips, sorry for butting in, but i was wondering how i could connect a headphone to my samsung plano tv with composite audio and video outputs in front, this tv does not have any headphone socket.

If you are not very finicky about quality you can try something like this
eBay India: 3.5mm Stereo Female Jack to RCA Male (item 120368286107 end time 31-Jan-2009 19:10:52 IST)
(or just search for stereo female RCA male on ebay India)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back