connecting subwoofer to 2 channel integrated pre-out

himadri

Hi friends
My denon integrated PMA2000ivr has preouts for subwoofer connection.What I want to know is if I connect a subwoofer to the preouts, will the lower frequencies be played out both through the active subwoofer and the connected floorstanders? Is that an ideal solution for deep bass ?
cheers
himadri

Thanks chirag
but my amplifier is not a receiver but a 2 channel integrated amplifier with preouts.
cheers
himadri

Hi friends
My denon integrated PMA2000ivr has preouts for subwoofer connection.What I want to know is if I connect a subwoofer to the preouts, will the lower frequencies be played out both through the active subwoofer and the connected floorstanders? Is that an ideal solution for deep bass ?
cheers
himadri

The frequencies will come through both. HOWEVER, thats not desirable! Do you have any bass management options on your sub? or access to an external bass managment system.

The best way to connect is to use a Y-cable and connect both outputs from integrated into the sub. The sub will take care of mixing the signals into mono internally.

YOu have a potential to get boomy output if you dont integrate properly.

Hi friends
cheers
himadri

If your int. amp. has an adjustable crossover setting, then you can make sure that your sub. is receiving only the frequencies that your main speakers cannot reproduce - maybe 40hz and below. if not you have to use the crossover setting in the subwoofer (as mentioned by marsilians) or an external x-over and reduce the setting to a suitable setting (you have to experiment to see which setting will sound best). Otherwise there will be an excess bass in the doubled frequency range (reproduced both by the speakers and the sub-woofer) and can sound bloated and boomy.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
thanks marsilians and sid
However one thing is still not clear.Considering that my integrated does not have an adjustable crossover setting , but the sub which is connected to the preout has one, does the speaker connected to the speaker terminals(outlet of power amplifier) produce only the frequency range above the crossover of the sub or the full range (including the dual range).
cheers
himadri

thanks marsilians and sid
However one thing is still not clear.Considering that my integrated does not have an adjustable crossover setting , but the sub which is connected to the preout has one, does the speaker connected to the speaker terminals(outlet of power amplifier) produce only the frequency range above the crossover of the sub or the full range (including the dual range).
cheers
himadri

If your sub has an adjustable crossover then set it at 80 hz to begin with. Next since you are using a preout from your int. amp a full range signal will be sent to the sub, but the x-over will only reproduce frequencies below 80hz. Your main speakers will be getting full range signal as well. Now you can experiment by reducing the x-over. usually 60hz works well but you have to experiment. So at this point the sub will only reproduce frequencies below the x-over settings and the main speakers will reproduce full range until their design limit. finally if you have a phase setting you can experiment with that as well.
Cheers
Sid

If your sub has an adjustable crossover then set it at 80 hz to begin with. Next since you are using a preout from your int. amp a full range signal will be sent to the sub, but the x-over will only reproduce frequencies below 80hz. Your main speakers will be getting full range signal as well. Now you can experiment by reducing the x-over. usually 60hz works well but you have to experiment. So at this point the sub will only reproduce frequencies below the x-over settings and the main speakers will reproduce full range until their design limit. finally if you have a phase setting you can experiment with that as well.
Cheers
Sid
Thanks Sid
This clears my doubts
cheers
himadri

Hi parag,

Is it possible to connect a sub to Norge 2060 ?
Is there any pre-outs in 2060?

Pls clarify.

Thanks,
Sunil

sorry 4 late reply,
yes there r pre outs in norge2060, but u cant control the sound output if u r using preouts for sub.

Dear parag

i ve norge 2000 ref and norge mk 125 tower speakers. can u pls suggest the best compatible sub for the system. my listening is only music. i live in bhubaneswar, odisha where is no option for checking out various brands of sub. i ve to buy on reference only. my budget is 20-25 k

gautam

hi gautampatnaik

One of the best subwoofers in the world is the Velodyne Impact 12....it works wonderful.

If budget is a constraint...HiFi mart has the Bostons ASW 650 which is good value for money...however would suggest before purchase check on the bostons website possibly download the user manual to check the connectivity of the sub to an integrated amplifier...once this is confirm...place the order.

Hope this helps

The frequencies will come through both. HOWEVER, thats not desirable! Do you have any bass management options on your sub? or access to an external bass managment system.

The best way to connect is to use a Y-cable and connect both outputs from integrated into the sub. The sub will take care of mixing the signals into mono internally.

If you connect Y cable, your amplifier will play in Mono. If you have any other doubts, check it with Y cable and without Y cable. You can feel the difference.

Dear parag

i ve norge 2000 ref and norge mk 125 tower speakers. can u pls suggest the best compatible sub for the system. my listening is only music. i live in bhubaneswar, odisha where is no option for checking out various brands of sub. i ve to buy on reference only. my budget is 20-25 k

gautam

Gautam,

I generally suggest people to treat the room before going for any upgrades. Spend 3-4K on treatment and this could be enough for your bass hungry ears.

I don't know how big is your room but a 2x6.5" and 90dB sensitivity design should have enough thump for music.

You may just need to make few glasswool acoustic panels and that is it.

I seek your advice, pls help. Recently i bought Norge Ref Amp & Tower Norge Speaker. But I am not very happy with the bass response. Will adding subwoofer enhance the output. Pls suggest a sub for that or any other alternative. I only listen to music. I want thumping bass. I am from Bhubaneswar, Odisha

Last edited:
I seek your advice, pls help. Recently i bought Norge Ref Amp & Tower Norge Speaker. But I am not very happy with the bass response. Will adding subwoofer enhance the output. Pls suggest a sub for that or any other alternative. I only listen to music. I want thumping bass. I am from Bhubaneswar, Odisha

Please read the above post. I have just suggested something :)

Thanks Koushik for the response

my stereo system is in the living room measuring 28ft by 12ft and all other rooms open to it. so making glasswool panel may not be possible. You may suggest some subwoofer for the norge ref amp that is compatible tried and tested. Since in Odisha there is no option for auditioning Norge before buying, I had bought it purely on reviews. It is not bad but the punch is missing.

Advice of friends solicited.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back