Considering an AVR + floorstanders setup (around 50k)

cyberjunkie

I gave away an old LG 5.1 speaker HTIB setup to my colleague at work ahead of the long Independence day weekend. I rarely ever used it to be honest and it was as good as new.

I listen to unhealthy amounts of music on my 2-3 earphones, my Sennheiser HD598 headphones and my M-Audio BX5-D2 through a Focusrite 2i2 / ASUS Xonar DX on my PC. I decided to move my M-audio BX5 D2 + Focusrite 2i2 setup from my room to the living room, just to see what it's like. My god! This thing sounds SOOOOOO much better in the open space. I connected my Raspberry Pi 2 (LibreELEC) to it.

My intention is to have clear dialogues in TV shows and movies (at lower volumes every evening) in the living room, while I dine. That, and listen to my music streamed through the RPI2/Bluetooth.

I happened to check out the Yamaha YAS-106 soundbar. It does vocals and pretty decent detail for under 20k and it's actually fine for my room. Sound separation isn't too shabby either.

Although, I want to be able to connect my laptop, the Raspberry Pi2, the TATA Sky HD box and maybe the PS3 to the sound setup. That's one of the reasons for not being too keen on the Yamaha YAS-106. The bigger reason for having second thoughts is now having heard the M-audio BX5 D2 in room. It's so much better!

I'm not looking to watch bass-heavy action movies or EDM or other electronica-based music genres, so subwoofer can be an addon for later.

That's my story.

I'm considering a setup for under 50-55k. I was considering the Denon as the AVR - X520BT. I'm not sure if it's 'powerful' for the future though, which is why the Pioneer VSX-531 is more interesting, and it's cheaper (under 30k?). It has Bluetooth too, as far as I can tell.

Is this is a 'sound' choice?

As for the speakers, I'm considering floorstanders ( budget left of 20-25k). Which of these would you recommend - TAGA 806F, Polk Audio TSx 330T, Polk Audio T50, Boston Acoustics CS260? Other suggestions are welcome.

Also, should I just settle for the Yamaha YAS-106 with some sort of HDMI-hub/splitter controller to channel all sources into 1 HDMI?

Although, I want to be able to connect my laptop, the Raspberry Pi2, the TATA Sky HD box and maybe the PS3 to the sound setup. That's one of the reasons for not being too keen on the Yamaha YAS-106. The bigger reason for having second thoughts is now having heard the M-audio BX5 D2 in room. It's so much better!

I'm not looking to watch bass-heavy action movies or EDM or other electronica-based music genres, so subwoofer can be an addon for later.

That's my story.

I'm considering a setup for under 50-55k. I was considering the Denon as the AVR - X520BT. I'm not sure if it's 'powerful' for the future though, which is why the Pioneer VSX-531 is more interesting, and it's cheaper (under 30k?). It has Bluetooth too, as far as I can tell.

Is this is a 'sound' choice?

Are you looking for 5.1 set-up ? If you are open to used ones, you can fetch a good used 5/7/.1 AVR from local FM who would be upgrading.. The reason being, a non atmos entry level AVR does the same as the old one...You can actually save here and add to speaker budget..

As for the speakers, I'm considering floorstanders ( budget left of 20-25k). Which of these would you recommend - TAGA 806F, Polk Audio TSx 330T, Polk Audio T50, Boston Acoustics CS260? Other suggestions are welcome.

This will vary/depending on your budget..If you are tight on budget, you can consider the Taga 5.0 speaker package.. Will fit in your budget..

Also, should I just settle for the Yamaha YAS-106 with some sort of HDMI-hub/splitter controller to channel all sources into 1 HDMI?

An AVR (with 4 -5 HDMI Inputs) would be best here, for switching between components and a better connectivity with HDMI cable..

No, I'm actually considering just a 2.0 setup (floorstanders) and am being convinced by a friend to look at bookshelf speakers.

A sparingly used Denon AVR 1713 or 15xx would be fine I think. Denon Audyssey would be nice to have too.

No, I'm actually considering just a 2.0 setup (floorstanders) and am being convinced by a friend to look at bookshelf speakers.

A sparingly used Denon AVR 1713 or 15xx would be fine I think. Denon Audyssey would be nice to have too.
If you have plans to upgrade to a 5.1 or higher setup then it is okay to get a receiver. If not, then a stereo amp will give you better quality.

Floor stand or bookshelf is entirely dependent on how much space you have in the room and what kind of music you listen to. A floor stand will give you more low end than a book shelf. So do check if the frequency response of the speakers you choose. A good pair of bookshelf with a sub will give you a whole spectrum of frequency whereas a floor stander on its own might sound more complete. However when it comes to movies, action movies will demand a sub woofer be it bookshelf or floor stander.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Consider a 3.0 setup (center channel).. While a 2.0 can do all the stereo sources, a 3.0 can handle the multichannel sources.. A 3.0 will def help over 2.0 even in casual movie playback.. Audyssey should help you over that..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back