Construction of New room- Help required in selecting Plasma tv/Sound system etc.

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

We are renovating our home and a new room is also being constructed. So please help me in choosing the following stuff-

1.) Plasma TV- Size- 42/50 inches. Usage would be DTH + Movies not necessarily blue ray. I am not looking for too much features. Its basically like buy one of the basic models. Last year when I was doing research I had zeroed in on LG PQ30. But I guess now newer models must have arrived. Not too keen on buying Samsung. What model of Panasonic or LG should I look for or any other brand?

2.) Sound system-
I like music but I dont consider myself as one having a musical ear. Nor do I listen to high quality songs or audio CD's. So I am thinking of keeping the budget of sound sytem to around 25k's only. Though I have to audition speakers yet I think I wont be able to tell much difference between a 25K or a 50K system specially if the songs are not high quality! Is that assumption somewhat correct?

Also is "stabilizer" must with TV and sound system also or would a surge protector also do? Currently We have 2 LCD's at our house which are connected directly and are working fine. Power fluctuation is generally not an issue here.

3.) DTH Service-
Options I am considering are Airtel HD and Tata Sky+. Simply because I am very happy with the Airtel service (Broadband) though I know it might not be the same with Their DTH division and tata sky because they have reputed name. So what are the pros and cons of each and which has a upper hand?

Placement of TV-

Another concern is placement of TV. The wall opposite the bed is not a wall its a complete glass window! :yahoo: Though it would look beautiful the issue is it could not be hanged on it.

Currently I am planning to hang it in the corner. Are there some other ways also in which A TV could be placed without blocking the window? Some stand or anything like that? Also if the TV would be in corner could it be a deal breaker even if "some" light falls on it through the window since its plasma TV. (I can upload the pics of room where there is window and where the tv would be placed if that would be of some help)

Please share any advice or suggestion you might have regarding these or even if anything related to renovation of house and some tips on that!! :D

Regards

Last edited:
r6xkc.jpg

This is the price list I got from 1 showroom here. The person was recommending the 3rd option. These names are completely alien to me and I have no idea about the brands in high end range, their features or even what equipments constitute a good sound system! :D :D

Is this deal good?

Hello everyone

1.) Plasma TV- Size- 42/50 inches. Usage would be DTH + Movies not necessarily blue ray. I am not looking for too much features. Its basically like buy one of the basic models. Last year when I was doing research I had zeroed in on LG PQ30. But I guess now newer models must have arrived. Not too keen on buying Samsung. What model of Panasonic or LG should I look for or any other brand?

Panasonic - V20 (Best plasma according to reviews, but little expensive than other plasmas).

LG - PJ350, PJ560 and PJ650. Not much difference w.r.t PQ, but PJ560 has good sound. I have a 50PJ350 and I'm very much satisfied.

2.) Sound system-
I like music but I dont consider myself as one having a musical ear. Nor do I listen to high quality songs or audio CD's. So I am thinking of keeping the budget of sound sytem to around 25k's only. Though I have to audition speakers yet I think I wont be able to tell much difference between a 25K or a 50K system specially if the songs are not high quality! Is that assumption somewhat correct?

At 25K, you can get HTiBs like Onkyo 3300 or 3400. Music in 3300 is crap. Even a casual listener will find it ordinary.

Placement of TV-

Another concern is placement of TV. The wall opposite the bed is not a wall its a complete glass window! :yahoo: Though it would look beautiful the issue is it could not be hanged on it.

Currently I am planning to hang it in the corner. Are there some other ways also in which A TV could be placed without blocking the window? Some stand or anything like that? Also if the TV would be in corner could it be a deal breaker even if "some" light falls on it through the window since its plasma TV. (I can upload the pics of room where there is window and where the tv would be placed if that would be of some help)

I came across a stand here in Chennai similar to this one: http://www.dimensionsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Plasma-TV-Stand-Dimensions.jpg . This might fit your requirement.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back