Copal CP Sound 402

aashish351

Hi everyone!

Drawing special attention to vintage equipment lovers and gurus. My in laws had this stored somewhere and sent it to me recenty. To be honest even for me it's a device from a previous era. I know it's a 8mm reel projector. A website called Van-eck has these details:

Copal CP Sound 402

super 8 mm film
lens: Etalon Super Zoom f: 1.3 F: 15-25 mm
lamp: 100 W, 12 V, EFP
reel capacity: 180 m
projection: forward, reverse
projection speed: variable speed control 14-25 fps
film loading: automatic threading
sound: magnetic playback on main sound track
sound mode: mono
amplifier: transistorized
amplifier output: 3 W (8 Ohm)
recording: magnetic recording on main track
sound-on-sound: yes
recording level control: auto
input terminal: Microphone, Phono
input jacks: Mic: mini jack; Phono: 5-pin DIN (European type)
output terminal: Earpnone, External Speaker
output jacks: Ear: mini jack; Ext Sp: 2-pin DIN
built-in speaker: yes
built-in film cutter: yes
motor: magnetic motor
power source: 220 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 150 W
weight: 8100 grams
dimensions: 260 x 280 x 330 mm

made in Japan by Copal

https://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=&type=CP Sound 402&merk=40&cat=film

Which brings me to the important question - should I attempt restoring it (I don't know if it works, haven't switched it on yet)? Who can help me figure it out? A step by step process to go about checking and making it work (subject to views on the first part of the question).

Will post pictures soon.

Hey Aashish, this is mighty cool. I'd say switch it on and see if it works. My best guess, at max the lamp would have gone bad and require a replacement, which should not be difficult to source.

However, the bigger question:

- Do you have a super8 cam and/or fresh/recorded reels?

I was lucky to pick up a Super8 sometime back and I guess a couple of reels came along with it. Not sure whether the same are blanks or has content on those. Could never check as don't have access to a projector.

Keen to look at some pictures of your piece!!

What a find, congrats. 8mm and Super-8s are legends of the past. Did you get any films with it? Perhaps some films of family?

For those who are interested, there is a store in Trivandrum selling old stuff. I saw one of these, there, if anyone is interested, I can share the contact information and you can get in touch directly.

Unfortunately, no 8mm films with me. Maybe my in laws will discover those also! (Wishful thinking).

I think I'm missing the round wheels also. (Called spools right?). Our are they part of the film/recording?

Anyway I'll connect and switch it on and let's see what happens. Pictures and videos coming soon.

Stay tuned.

Hey Aashish, this is mighty cool. I'd say switch it on and see if it works. My best guess, at max the lamp would have gone bad and require a replacement, which should not be difficult to source.

However, the bigger question:

- Do you have a super8 cam and/or fresh/recorded reels?

I was lucky to pick up a Super8 sometime back and I guess a couple of reels came along with it. Not sure whether the same are blanks or has content on those. Could never check as don't have access to a projector.

Keen to look at some pictures of your piece!!

Well you have the reels, I have a (hopefully working) projector. Will figure something out!

OK! I have good news and bad news!

Good News: I connected the power and a light came on, so at least it was not konked off and could work!

Bad News: I moved the FW/RW knob to see what happens and BOOOOOM!!! smoke everywhere from behind the unit! And now I guess its konked off. So this is now a real restoration project.

I immediately unplugged the mains and after the smoke settled (weird smelling) opened the back cover to find a blown capacitor (I guess). A ruffled mess of yellow-brown paper with a metal strip was recovered from the vicinity of a loosely hanging capacitor casing! Before the BOOOOM! I could see the lamp lighting up - it was just a matter of 5-10 seconds. I don't know what else could have gone, but nothing else looks blown or spoiled. Strangely, there is no black soot or any such thing.

I am attaching the pictures in a google photos album (https://photos.app.goo.gl/MbBxHew1wWc91s6y2). Please follow it as I will keep adding more it.

Fire away with your inputs.

Holy smokes!! (quite literally :p). That is not good news. Usually what happens is that finding time to mend a side project takes a back seat. It requires a lot of time and energies to find the right guy who can fix stuff and what not, if you know what I mean. Had this worked right away, would have given a different kick altogether. Maybe the Trivandrum shop guy Reuben is referring to, can share some repair solutions.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back