The Raspberry Pi gets it's own Wolfson-based Sound Card (upto 24/192)

hydra

Raspberry Pi gets its own sound card

When UK Prime Minister David Cameron gave a speech at CeBIT this year, what examples did he use to highlight tech innovation in Britain? Yes, ARM and Imagination were on his list, but he also referred to the tiny, Linux-based computer called Raspberry Pi, which has now sold over 2.5 million units. In a timely fashion, the Pi's makers, element 14, have just announced a new $33, Wolfson-powered audio card that should give the device a broader range of functions.

The add-on board fits right onto the Pi's P5 pins and carries a Wolfson audio processor that supports high-res audio up to 24-bit / 192KHz, which can be played via a direct connection to an amp over 3.5mm line-out or alternatively via a digital S/PDIF output. Audio recording, meanwhile, comes courtesy of two onboard MEMS mics (useful for things like voice control), a 3.5mm mic jack and a digital S/PDIF input. It's true that some of these audio capabilities have already been possible on the Pi by using USB peripherals such as DACs, but the Wolfson Audio Card gets into the DIY spirit of things with a $33 price tag and an emphasis on experimentation and community support. Speaking of which, some Pi owners have already gotten their hands on the board prior to today's global release, and you can follow their exploits at the source link below.

Community: Wolfson Audio Card | element14

Features
3.5 mm jack (4-pole) for a headset/boom mic combination for gaming or VoIP applications
3.5 mm jack for microphone input
On-board MEMS microphone
3.5 mm jack stereo line input for connection to devices such as digital audio players (iPod etc.) or mobile phones
3.5 mm jack stereo line output for connection to devices such as external stereo amplifiers or powered speakers
Phono jack for electrical (not optical) S/PDIF digital input
On-board class D power amplifier for external speakers, with connection to external power source if needed.
Small pin header for extra functions if they are low cost, already on-chip, and don't require any further components
Raspberry Pi form factor

Last edited:
so we need to buy the 33 USD dac over an above the RPi? Unless we really cannot extend the budget for a DAC to 100 USD I do not think going for this DAC is worth.

so we need to buy the 33 USD dac over an above the RPi? Unless we really cannot extend the budget for a DAC to 100 USD I do not think going for this DAC is worth.
I agree - no RCA output as well. A better option with RCA output (and at the same cost) is the Hifiberry

Anything special about RCAs? They are just one of those accidental "standards."

But the Hifiberry has Choice (I went for that when ordering my ODAC, and I use the RCAs rather than the 3.5) which is good.

Thanks for telling about it.

I paired the Wolfson with a rev 2 rpi. The results brought a glee to my ears and face alike. Good presentation accross frequencies. Detail and separation is plenty.

This is what the rpi was lacking. Finally a good bye to the clicks and pops and it works like a charm.

I have set it up with squeezelite and a wifi dongle and powering with a 5v 2a adapter.

Wolfson card didn't require any soldering. U just have to align the pins to gpio and p5 headers and screw the daughter board with the help of nylon spacer and screws provided as part of the package.

uploadfromtaptalk1399274229070.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399274288854.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399274318383.jpg

I paired the Wolfson with a rev 2 rpi. The results brought a glee to my ears and face alike. Good presentation accross frequencies. Detail and separation is plenty.

This is what the rpi was lacking. Finally a good bye to the clicks and pops and it works like a charm.

I have set it up with squeezelite and a wifi dongle and powering with a 5v 2a adapter.

Wolfson card didn't require any soldering. U just have to align the pins to gpio and p5 headers and screw the daughter board with the help of nylon spacer and screws provided as part of the package.

View attachment 14466View attachment 14467View attachment 14468

Are you using digital output or using Analougue ( Stereo ) output?

Which OS and media player??

Thanks

Currently analogue to my headphones. Will give line out and spdif out a try too and report.

It's running squeezelite atop raspbian with Wolfson patch.

@dheerajjotwani
I am waiting for your opinion.
To know how SPDIF sounds compared to the USB audio from pi...
Also let us know how you find the same compared to your HTPC.

Last edited:
awaited update:

lineout output is better than headphone (as expected) the detail on topping tp20 and sony bookshelves is crisp but the overall listening experience stands better than when on usb with nuforce udac.

pairing with v473 and ma br5 with a spdif coaxial connect, a drastic expansion of the soundstage and a overall uplift across both the highs and lows. but then i think this might be taking the 473s power and dac into play too. nuforce udac usb output doesnt enhance proportionately in the same chain. but this is all to my novice ears.

spdif coaxial out from my nas music server(zotac mini itx ion board) to 473 surprisingly sounds rounded and lacking detail in comparision with the wolfson using the same set of flacs.

id be interested to pitch this against odac/schitt modi and the likes to see how they all fair against one another.

can ship it to anyone who wants to do this big comparision between <$100 dacs and bring out the verdict

The dac chip and the connector. Wolfson has everything ready to use just by simply screwing the two together.

Hifiberry u need to solder a 8 pin p5 connector to the rpi before screwing the dac board on it.

Apart from that there is more support for hifiberry currently in volumio, picoreplayer etc. Wolfson needs the driver patch pe loaded once. But the gap is shortening

Yup since early tonido days sams. Squeezelite is a player for hifi on the squeeze plug platform by truehl.

Earlier there used to be squeezebox server and squeeze slave player. Now squeezelite player is a super hit moreover or is so small, it runs fully from the ram

The dac chip and the connector. Wolfson has everything ready to use just by simply screwing the two together.

Hifiberry u need to solder a 8 pin p5 connector to the rpi before screwing the dac board on it.

Apart from that there is more support for hifiberry currently in volumio, picoreplayer etc. Wolfson needs the driver patch pe loaded once. But the gap is shortening

So you suggest Wolfson over HiFiBerry? as I was planning to order HiFiBerry when I saw your thread with Wolfson ...

Last edited:
Na its ok :), I am not much of an Audiophile, neither my gear is so hifi to nitpick the difference. I just wanted a suggestion if I have to pick of the two, what should I go for ... :)

Had I heard both, could have given u an opinion then.

I chose merely on availability and the ease of usage. Besides the latest release of truehls 7.09 rpi squeeze plug has Wolfson support so home run !

Hi,
I was planning to get an Asus Xonar st/stx soundcard and install it on an old desktop and get the spdif out into my modest technics sux-501 amplifier, which has an optical in. The only problem is that it would occupy space in my small den. I would like to know how the raspberry pi with wolfson soundcard compares with the Asus Xonar card. Anyone has any experience with this??

@kuks1 I cannot compare the two but with surety say that an rpi+Wolfson combo for local or networked digital audio playback is easy to setup and a pleasure to hear all for under 6500 bucks.

So you suggest Wolfson over HiFiBerry? as I was planning to order HiFiBerry when I saw your thread with Wolfson ...
HifiBerry link says bit perfect.So which can be better option to connect external DAC?I have tried Xonar D2X to a DAC via SPDF,but to my surprise,my Toshiba BDp spdf output is better sounding than D2x to my ears.So wanted to know.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back