Copying file is to slow

Love4sound

Hi

Please some one help me figure this out. I use 3.0 wd external hard disk and suddenly it’s taking to long to copy a file. I also tried checking with copying files internal HD from one folder to another same issue. Also tried copying in another 3.0 usb and with different ports but same issue

Attachments

• 87B65947-F9FC-4E98-BCFA-D957AA8D42EF.jpeg
    87B65947-F9FC-4E98-BCFA-D957AA8D42EF.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 21
Check if the drive is corrupted. Also check if the disk is almost full. You may also try a third party copying software. Also try cleaning up the drive and defragment it. Hopefully, it works.

My old MacBook pro slowed down unexpectedly. Was taking almost 45 minutes to boot.

I upgraded it with SSD and the laptop is back to normal. The confusing thing is even the old hdd works fine now.

try benchmarking the drive with https://www.hdtune.com/ and share the report.
Results

Check if the drive is corrupted. Also check if the disk is almost full. You may also try a third party copying software. Also try cleaning up the drive and defragment it. Hopefully, it works.

My old MacBook pro slowed down unexpectedly. Was taking almost 45 minutes to boot.

I upgraded it with SSD and the laptop is back to normal. The confusing thing is even the old hdd works fine now.
I think the issue is with the drive see the results above. Not sure what to do now

Attachments

• 4A05644E-5712-4B39-B69F-DB045DA43E56.jpeg
    4A05644E-5712-4B39-B69F-DB045DA43E56.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 24
  • F41D1EB8-A9DD-4BF1-8D61-3140E9A299F7.jpeg
    F41D1EB8-A9DD-4BF1-8D61-3140E9A299F7.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi

Please some one help me figure this out. I use 3.0 wd external hard disk and suddenly it’s taking to long to copy a file. I also tried checking with copying files internal HD from one folder to another same issue. Also tried copying in another 3.0 usb and with different ports but same issue
What version of Windows are you experiencing this on?

I think the issue is with the drive see the results above. Not sure what to do now
Going by my previous experience, you may upgrade to an SSD and use the old hard disk as a storage medium. It worked in my MacBook pro and I will do the same with my old windows laptop too very soon.

May other pro members suggest you a better solution.

Going by my previous experience, you may upgrade to an SSD and use the old hard disk as a storage medium. It worked in my MacBook pro and I will do the same with my old windows laptop too very soon.

May other pro members suggest you a better solution.
Issue is with one hardisk as shown in the results. Il try all possible steps like defragment, format etc. If issue persists ill just get a new disk. @rejin Thanks for sharing the link.

Issue is with one hardisk as shown in the results. Il try all possible steps like defragment, format etc. If issue persists ill just get a new disk. @rejin Thanks for sharing the link.

looks like the 500gb drive is struggling. check the health report for any abnormality.
recommend you backup data, there is nothing worse than losing data.
then try running a error scan.

once that is done, you can download seagate toolkit (https://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/software/toolkit-us/) and run diagnosis.
(I hope the drive is seagate)

Try this:
Method 1
1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Paste this: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled and hit Enter.
3. Try transferring the files and check if there is an improvement.
4. At the elevated command prompt paste this: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal and hit Enter to turn auto tuning on again

Method 2
1. Hit the Windows key. In the "search programs and files" text box type in: turn windows features on. Click on the result that appears above. It will open OptionalFeatures.exe
2. Scroll down to find "Remote Differential Compression". Uncheck it.
3. Restart the computer and try the transfer.

looks like the 500gb drive is struggling. check the health report for any abnormality.
recommend you backup data, there is nothing worse than losing data.
then try running a error scan.

once that is done, you can download seagate toolkit (https://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/software/toolkit-us/) and run diagnosis.
(I hope the drive is seagate)
yes its seagate

Try this:
Method 1
1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Paste this: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled and hit Enter.
3. Try transferring the files and check if there is an improvement.
4. At the elevated command prompt paste this: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal and hit Enter to turn auto tuning on again

Method 2
1. Hit the Windows key. In the "search programs and files" text box type in: turn windows features on. Click on the result that appears above. It will open OptionalFeatures.exe
2. Scroll down to find "Remote Differential Compression". Uncheck it.
3. Restart the computer and try the transfer.
Sure will give it a try

Last edited:
If that does not improve things, from an elevated command prompt give this command:
CHKDSK <drive letter followed by a colon> /R /V

ex: CHKDSK C: /R /V

Do the non boot drives [if any] first and then the boot drive. Doing this for the boot drive will cause this to be queued and will run on next boot so, reboot.
Then, download and run Defraggler

Hi

Does it have external power supply? If not, id recommend to use external HDD with external power supply only. USB powered HDDs tend to have shorter lifespan compared to internal HDDs/external HDDs with external PSU. That is from my experience only.

Does it have external power supply? If not, id recommend to use external HDD with external power supply only. USB powered HDDs tend to have shorter lifespan compared to internal HDDs/external HDDs with external PSU. That is from my experience only.
No it doesn't have external power supply. I will check with external PSU

If that does not improve things, from an elevated command prompt give this command:
CHKDSK <drive letter followed by a colon> /R /V

ex: CHKDSK C: /R /V

Do the non boot drives [if any] first and then the boot drive. Doing this for the boot drive will cause this to be queued and will run on next boot so, reboot.
Then, download and run Defraggler
Thanks for the tips. But i am wondering why not upgrade since i found the root cause to be the HD. It is more then 8 years old. I am planning to get a 120 gb SSD to boot the OS and a 1 tb HD. Could you suggest me the best performing disks. Asus H110M-D is my mother board so Any sata internal HD and ssd will be compatible right?

Thanks for the tips. But i am wondering why not upgrade since i found the root cause to be the HD. It is more then 8 years old. I am planning to get a 120 gb SSD to boot the OS and a 1 tb HD. Could you suggest me the best performing disks. Asus H110M-D is my mother board so Any sata internal HD and ssd will be compatible right?
I'm using crucial MX500 and I'm very happy with it. Samsung Evo 860 seem to be marginally better. I went with the cheapest. Generally, bigger the SSD faster it is. But, 120 gb is enough for a Htpc, Imo.
A link from crucial's website about the compatibility of their products with your motherboard.

I'm using crucial MX500 and I'm very happy with it. Samsung Evo 860 seem to be marginally better. I went with the cheapest. Generally, bigger the SSD faster it is. But, 120 gb is enough for a Htpc, Imo.
A link from crucial's website about the compatibility of their products with your motherboard.
Thanks will check it out. My over all budget is 8-10k. So 120 GB SSD wil come around 2.5 k and a good 1TB HD will come around 6-8K so roughly 8-10K. So shall i just go for a 1 TB SSD

Thanks will check it out. My over all budget is 8-10k. So 120 GB SSD wil come around 2.5 k and a good 1TB HD will come around 6-8K so roughly 8-10K. So shall i just go for a 1 TB SSD
Of course you can, I TB SSD would be awesome. Crucial's 1 tb SSD is about 12.5k and you can go with.

But 1 Tb internal HDD is about 3.5k. So, there's a saving of some 5k if you opt for 120 gb SSD and a 1 tb HDD. Also, 2 Tb hard disc is about 5k which can also be considered.

Of course you can, I TB SSD would be awesome. Crucial's 1 tb SSD is about 12.5k and you can go with.

But 1 Tb internal HDD is about 3.5k. So, there's a saving of some 5k if you opt for 120 gb SSD and a 1 tb HDD. Also, 2 Tb hard disc is about 5k which can also be considered.
Yeah i think that will be a better choice. The SSD you suggested is only available on 256 gb.

Yeah i think that will be a better choice. The SSD you suggested is only available on 256 gb.
Sorry, just checked. Then any cheaper SSD would do, I guess.
I have this thought just now. With 120 gb, the useable space would be around 100 gb. No idea how much windows installation and other software installations, headroom for downloads etc would take and also make sure the SSD is at least 25% free all the time to avoid slow down. Hopefully, 120 gb is sufficient.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back