Copying file is to slow

Sorry, just checked. Then any cheaper SSD would do, I guess.
I have this thought just now. With 120 gb, the useable space would be around 100 gb. No idea how much windows installation and other software installations, headroom for downloads etc would take and also make sure the SSD is at least 25% free all the time to avoid slow down. Hopefully, 120 gb is sufficient.
Yeah even now i have allocated 100 gb alone for c drive and only 60-70% space is utilized.

Get a 256GB SSD for the Windows/boot drive and use the rest of your money for a large capacity, fast HDD which has a large cache.

I have zeroed in the below products. Any thoughts?

IMHO,

Never go for 120gb , buy 250gb minimum. Can confirm that Samsung and adata are very good.

For hdd, you can decide based on your usage, I am using wd purple for download rig.

If you are in Chennai, ditch Amazon . I can help you get better deals.

Humble request. dont sell the older drive on Olx. Please. There is nothing bad as losing valuable data. If not you,somebody else might lose data if you resell the drive.

Do a low level format and try changing SATA cable,sata port before you lose hope on the drive

I have zeroed in the below products. Any thoughts?

The Barracuda ST1000DM010 has higher performance.
If you can stretch your budget a wee bit, buy the WD 3D NAND SSD else the Crucial MX500 is fine.

IMHO,

Never go for 120gb , buy 250gb minimum. Can confirm that Samsung and adata are very good.

For hdd, you can decide based on your usage, I am using wd purple for download rig.

If you are in Chennai, ditch Amazon . I can help you get better deals.

Humble request. dont sell the older drive on Olx. Please. There is nothing bad as losing valuable data. If not you,somebody else might lose data if you resell the drive.

Do a low level format and try changing SATA cable,sata port before you lose hope on the drive
Yes I am in Chennai only
The Barracuda ST1000DM010 has higher performance.
If you can stretch your budget a wee bit, buy the WD 3D NAND SSD else the Crucial MX500 is fine.
sure will check them out

Now I tried to copy and the speed is normal. What can be the issue? Is the problem really with the HD or other possibilities?

Attachments

• 56D5E35D-675F-414F-8763-0AEE03956CA1.jpeg
    56D5E35D-675F-414F-8763-0AEE03956CA1.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 13
Now I tried to copy and the speed is normal. What can be the issue? Is the problem really with the HD or other possibilities?
keep a backup of data and continue you testing. Run a full scan.
Sometimes HDD will start showing its age when it heats up.

keep a backup of data and continue you testing. Run a full scan.
Sometimes HDD will start showing its age when it heats up.
ok sure and also you mentioned if in chennai you will help with better deals then amazon

Is there any way a laptop drive can be used in a Desktop? Are the SATA ports universal? The laptop drives seem to have smaller connecting ports.

MaSh

Access time in your hd tune screenshot was too high (more than 200ms). It can be related to hd connectivity or driver issue, can be temporary. Try different usb ports if you get the issue again or different cables. If there are no bad sectors and disk is healthy, take a backup of hard disk and do a low level format. Then use it again.

Access time in your hd tune screenshot was too high (more than 200ms). It can be related to hd connectivity or driver issue, can be temporary. Try different usb ports if you get the issue again or different cables. If there are no bad sectors and disk is healthy, take a backup of hard disk and do a low level format. Then use it again.
Ok thanks for the info

Is there any way a laptop drive can be used in a Desktop? Are the SATA ports universal? The laptop drives seem to have smaller connecting ports.

MaSh

SATA ports are universal afaik. A free power connector will be needed inside desktop. Only issue is placing the small harddisk in larger bay in desktop.

Is there any way a laptop drive can be used in a Desktop? Are the SATA ports universal?
Yes, they can be used in desktops. Better still, get a HDD dock/bay that interfaces externally over USB. All my old 2.5" and 3.5" drives are re-used this way.

Copying speed in Windows depends on many factors like parallel disk activities(downloads, torrents, multiple browser tabs), virus scanner, file type, disk temperature etc.
Do a basic error check on both the drives - source and destination using in-built windows tool(right click on drive, properties, tools -> error check.
If copying is slow or slows down use taskmanager to see disk activity. Also check disk activity randomly when your pc is not being used much. If disk actiivity always shows 100% or very high levels, BACKUP your data before attempting checking/repairs.
If you can open the innards remove and reconnect cables - after grounding yourself.
Use seagate tools (or other software) to check disk for errors.
If the disk tool does not show any error, format the drive completely and reinstall windows.

Formatting the disk, reinstalling Windows, replacing disks and the like should be the last resort, IMO.

Have you checked the disk as suggested in Post # 12? And have you run SeaTools? That's the very basic that you SHOULD do.
Have you heard of this script called "Tron Script"? It's brilliant and VERY effective - not just in cases like these but as a general housekeeping script to run regularly. Try it!

Edit: Tron Script - https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/wiki/index

Last edited:
Formatting the disk, reinstalling Windows, replacing disks and the like should be the last resort, IMO.

Have you checked the disk as suggested in Post # 12? That's the very basic that you SHOULD do.
Have you heard of this script called "Tron Script"? It's brilliant and VERY effective - not just in cases like these but as a general housekeeping script to run regularly. Try it!
I am yet to try them. For now performance is back to normal.

I got the Samsung evo ssd 256gb nd the wd blue 1TB. Huge improvements in system performance mainly with os booting. But the main reason I went for them is to improve copying speed and I am in total disappointment :( 7700rs flushed down the toilet

Attachments

• 2928A88C-0662-4EA6-A6C7-C576091202CD.jpeg
    2928A88C-0662-4EA6-A6C7-C576091202CD.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back