Cosmic turntable

As I recall, in early eighties, Sonodyne RP series tt were fitted with Classic 700 carts. Normally came with a conical. Elliptical was an option. Hindi records did good sound good on this cart. Later on sapphire tipped imitation styli were available, infact I have one, albiet with a twisted cantilever, and sound still reproduced! However some Shure styli, aftermarket and original are compatible with this cart. Am not sure which ones, though.

With reference to above, in another post on EEI 700 cart, it was stated that Shure N 75 stylus is suitable for this cart. I had one N 75 elliptical nude (aftermarket) and tried this combo on my Dual 1019. CID " Yeh hai Bombay Meri Jann" sounds v good. Ofcourse this LP is a very good recording too.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. The AT 3600 is a good entry level cartridge, but the Classic 700 has much more refined sound signature. I have purchased it since 1983, when these were current manufacture and very easily available. With the original eliiptical, high compliance stylus, fitted in a low mass arm and a good phono stage with low noise floor, the Classic 700 is a great cartridge. The negative opinions that are sometimes voiced are because what is available today is mostly fitted with some JUGGAD styli, and even if the stylus is original, matching arm mass is not given much thought.

Regards,
Hi sir any chance to get this original stylus?? Sir & if it's possible to share your contact no?? Sir

As I recall, in early eighties, Sonodyne RP series tt were fitted with Classic 700 carts. Normally came with a conical. Elliptical was an option. Hindi records did good sound good on this cart. Later on sapphire tipped imitation styli were available, infact I have one, albiet with a twisted cantilever, and sound still reproduced! However some Shure styli, aftermarket and original are compatible with this cart. Am not sure which ones, though.
Hi, as you have said " Later on sapphire tipped imitation styli were available" for Classic 700 cartridge. Is it that the sapphire styli became the standard later on from EEI or it was an option?

Hi adkO6. The original stylus for Classic 700 was always diamond. An elliptical was listed as an option, but I never saw any. The sapphire tips appeared much later. I have seen atleast three examples including the one I own(albeit) bent!

The old Cosmic, Sonodyne and EMI sonic direct drive turntables were not bad. It was truly amazing for something like these to be available in India back in the 1970s, when the low-end idler decks across brands, were in vogue. If carefully stripped down and serviced, they can be restored and will perform very well for many years to come. They came with nice, simple but acurate tonearms. Apart from regular lubing and calibration of the mechs, recapping of the electronics and refreshing the woodwork, there is nothing much else to be done on these. If the Classic 700 on these decks, is upgraded, they can be made to sound even better.

Hi adkO6. The original stylus for Classic 700 was always diamond. An elliptical was listed as an option, but I never saw any. The sapphire tips appeared much later. I have seen atleast three examples including the one I own(albeit) bent!
Do you have any photos of your sapphire tipped stylus? Nowadays some sellers are selling EEI stylus with logo of "EEI hi fidality", don't know whether it is original or China make. Can you give some comments about this?

Hi adk06. I do have the bent stylus and the tip is clearly sapphire like those found on old Philips sapphire styli. Unfortunately I have no system or knowledge of taking stylus close up photos. Sapphire styli look distinctly different from bonded diamond styli. If a close up of the stylus mentioned by you could be posted, then maybe me or our brothers here would be able to comment.

Hi adk06. I do have the bent stylus and the tip is clearly sapphire like those found on old Philips sapphire styli. Unfortunately I have no system or knowledge of taking stylus close up photos. Sapphire styli look distinctly different from bonded diamond styli. If a close up of the stylus mentioned by you could be posted, then maybe me or our brothers here would be able to comment.
Encls pls find the classic 700 cartridge & stylus selling someone in the market. Pictures are appears to be new & recently manufactured which may be recon that it is maid by a third party possibly in China. Kindly share your views.

Attachments

• IMG-20220917-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220917-WA0013.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20220917-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220917-WA0010.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20220917-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220917-WA0009.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20220917-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220917-WA0012.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 15
Well from the clear photo on the top right, it appears to be a new old stock EEI cart with a diamond tipped stylus ( further confirmation only on physical examination). The white stylus holder may be from a Shure cart. The transparent stylus protector cap is certainly EEI. I would recommend that u get these physically examined by some friend and also try to test them if possible.

New Old Stock items may or may not function as originally designed. The rubber suspension may harden or even crumble. The stylus tip bonding glue may not hold. So do check carefully.

New Old Stock items may or may not function as originally designed. The rubber suspension may harden or even crumble. The stylus tip bonding glue may not hold. So do check carefully.
You have a nice point regarding NOS styli particularly rubber suspension & stylus tip bonding. The very important parameter that every one forgets while choosing NOS products. Thanks for important info.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back