Creating a stereo setup, what amp should I buy?

Kartik

I'm a HiFi newbie who is planning to create a stereo setup for listening to music and wondering what amp to buy. Here are my requirements

Music genre (in order of preference): Classic rock, jazz, Old Hindi film songs, Hindustani classical (Carnatic classical at a later date too)

Source: Raspberry Pi with HiFiberry DAC+, Volumio, FLAC files, MP3s sometimes. Streaming from YouTube and other online sources if I can manage to set it up. No CDs as I plan to rip all my CDs (small collection numbering around 150 or so) to FLACs and store the CDs.

Secondary sources: Blu-Ray player (multi-channel downmixed to stereo) and Plasma TV (for sound from DTH STB).

Speakers: An old pair of Sony bookshelf speakers (fronts) that came as part of a Sony 5-DVD player system. 100 W, 8 ohms, no efficiency rating. Haven't heard them for more than 10 years so not sure if they still work. I did get a sense of that Sony system being bright and fatiguing for extended listening, don't know if it was the speakers or the entire system.

Budget: Around 50K. If the speakers don't work and I need to buy a new pair of bookshelfs I would have to reduce the amp budget to 35K and add more money for speakers.

Room size: Approx 12 x 18 but L shaped. Listening area around 10 feet away from the speakers.

Top requirement: Non fatiguing sound for extended background listening or extended serious listening for a couple of hours. But non fatiguing should not mean mushy sound with details missing.

I'm not sure if I should start small with something like a Marantz PM500x/PM600x or something else. Can the good folks here please provide your suggestions?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting started in this new world.

First try out your speakers using any amp to make sure they are in good health and whether you want to continue with them. It's better to decide on an amp based on the speakers you have.

There are a couple of amps and speakers on sale in the For Sale section. Take a look at them.

MaSh

Thanks guys. Want to buy something new rather than used due to warranty I would get with the new ones.
Points for consideration:
Speakers usually do not create for long durations (unless your stars are wrong). I have got better VFM by picking up used ones which were cared like new bornes by FMs.
Amplifiers - I have gone through used route, but having new ones is safer.

One amp I'm considering is the Marantz PM7005. Any cons for this amplifier? Am going to buy blind (don't think I have the patience to audition amps with my old speakers) so if this amp hits the following I should be good - non fatiguing sound, pairs well with most speakers for flexibility at a later date, warmth doesn't mean details are crushed. Will probably keep the amp for a long time before upgrading (if ever).

What say gurus?

The amp shortlisted would be good. However, you need to look for speakers as well. Sony speakers may not perform to your expectations. There are dali zensor 3 on sale. PL check them out too.

Being in Bangalore, you should also look at Acoustic Portrait (Bangalore based) Swara amp which would probably be around 40k.
http://www.acousticportrait.com/
Acoustic Portrait has quite a following in this forum.
I think Swara would lose on account of features as Marantz has built in DAC, more inputs etc. Swara is great amp; I have had the pleasure of listening to it. It had ample power to drive AP's Floorstanders.

The amp shortlisted would be good. However, you need to look for speakers as well. Sony speakers may not perform to your expectations. There are dali zensor 3 on sale. PL check them out too.
Valid point! One time audition will change OP's mind! Even my dad (who is HiFi agnostic) is no longer ready o listen from creative or Philips speakers.

The reason for persisting with the old Sony speakers is purely budgetary. Will eventually buy new bookshelfs (shortlisted Wharfdale Diamond 225, Dali Zensor 3 and a few others). Unlike the blind amp buy, I'm definitely going to audition all the speakers I can.

I'm a HiFi newbie who is planning to create a stereo setup for listening to music and wondering what amp to buy. Here are my requirements

Speakers: An old pair of Sony bookshelf speakers (fronts) that came as part of a Sony 5-DVD player system. 100 W, 8 ohms, no efficiency rating. Haven't heard them for more than 10 years so not sure if they still work. I did get a sense of that Sony system being bright and fatiguing for extended listening, don't know if it was the speakers or the entire system.
Can you post any details of the Sony system? Pictures of the back label can be a great help.

For your source and speakers consideration, it would be foolish to spend on the 7005 you have shortlisted. I would suggest you start with something much cheaper to understand how this whole thing works post which once you save a decent amount you can start putting together a system that will be able to give you satisfaction in the long run.
Ideally start with preowned amp or the local option as suggested. At the very least go for a demo of the acoustic portrait to understand what a decent set up will sound like.

One amp I'm considering is the Marantz PM7005. Any cons for this amplifier? Am going to buy blind (don't think I have the patience to audition amps with my old speakers) so if this amp hits the following I should be good - non fatiguing sound, pairs well with most speakers for flexibility at a later date, warmth doesn't mean details are crushed. Will probably keep the amp for a long time before upgrading (if ever).

What say gurus?

Considering your Sources, I would suggest a receiver with ample number of HDMI inputs for your DTH, Bluray, Pi, etc. Any reason not to consider a Receiver?

If you are anywhere close to Whitefield, you could get your speakers to my place and listen to a Marantz Receiver to get an idea.

MaSh

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back