Criticial Listening

Nikhil

Staff member
Loaded topic but I think it is worth addressing.
Sharing an article shared by Roger Skoff that guided me many years ago.

The original context was a really nice story. I don't remember details but this gem was typed out (at a time that predates our screen culture) by an audio store owner for a young man who was visiting the store with his father to purchase his first audio system. Have made a PDF attachment of the same for those who would like to save for later.
Critical Listening - Roger Skoff.png

Attachments

• Critical Listening - Roger Skoff Article.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Loaded topic but I think it is worth addressing.
Sharing an article shared by Roger Skoff that guided me many years ago.

The original context was a really nice story. I don't remember details but this gem was typed out (at a time that predates our screen culture) by an audio store owner for a young man who was visiting the store with his father to purchase his first audio system. Have made a PDF attachment of the same for those who would like to save for later.
View attachment 83301
This is indeed an interesting discussion which could evolve into a long and contentious thread.The bass (electric or double bass) to me, have always been important especially as how they hold the music together with the drummer especially in Rock music ( for retro folk like me Roger Glover and Ian Paice of Deep Purple or the the legendary Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker of Cream are great examples). This,however, becomes a lot more complicated when one is listening to Classical music where you have a symphony of someone like Mahler playing with the inclusion of (along with the standard orchestra) Harps, voices and often contra bassoons! Here, I believe, it becomes a lot more subjective and rather than appreciate single instruments it’s the overall “feel” of the music that is important.Does it transport you?Is it musical? It’s this subjectivity that makes our hobby so interesting and invites so many varied opinions.

Back