Crossover - Benefits of crossing higher or lower levels

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
Designing 2-way crossover: Woofer 6.5" Tweeter 1"
Looking at my driver's Fs, frequency response etc I have wide range where I can safely cross my crossover. What I selected is either 2.6 KHz OR 3.3 KHz OR 3.9 KHz.

So want to know from experts that in such scenario going for higher crossver (3.3) is better of lower (2.6)

Want to konw pros and cons like below fictitious wild guessed examples :) :):

- Higher crossing would divert more frequencies to woofer. May have benefit that spread of sound little better as some more frequencies transmitted via larger diameter
- Crossover tend to add some errors which are higher for higher crossing point (mathemathically directly proportional to crossing point). So here lower crossing is better
- Higher crosing give slightly low treble low mid --- my guess
- Lower crossing need capacitor with comparative lower uF value. And lower uF may have some advantages like lower noise, etc.

So looking as such points and many unknowing aspects which forum experts knows better what should be my decision 2.6K or 3.3K
Is there any general recomdaded typical crossovers for 2-ways.

Another point:
I do not have device to measure results. Only go be ear judgements. So any suggestions for testing results.... may be some app where laptop would genearate range of frequencies and laptop mic would record and plot a graph.

Thanks

For me low crossover is from 1.2khz to 1.8khz, standard from 1.8khz to 2.8khz and above 2.8khz as high crossover for a two way ss.
Depends on driver resonance, size of the driver - usually Sd, cone breakup modes, crossover order-1,2,3,4 .. , box loading type to name a few.

Hi Sudhir,
Which driver do you have? I am curious to know about the 6.5 inch driver which can be crossed above 3khz.

Thanks
Anirudha

Can you please explain, what is the challenge in crossing 6.5 inch driver between 3khz - 4 kHz if flat Frequency response of the driver is 40Hz- to 5Khz

Can you please explain, what is the challenge in crossing 6.5 inch driver between 3khz - 4 kHz if flat Frequency response of the driver is 40Hz- to 5Khz
I recently tried a 5.25 inch driver with nearly flat response till 5khz as per manufacturer specification, but the problem was cone breakup. I tried various crossover frequencies using foobar plugin and it was becoming harsh above 1.8Khz.

Hi Sudhir,
Which driver do you have? I am curious to know about the 6.5 inch driver which can be crossed above 3khz.

Thanks
Anirudha

Hi Anirudha
I am using peerless mid-woofer S16NI (6" not 6.5" I mentioned wrongly). I did not get freq response range for this model but most of peerless 6" drivers have frequency response upto 5 KHz. Hence thinking to cross much below around 3 KHz

So I can see one decision making point: That is lower crossing would lower risk of cone breakup. Hope to see such few more come from experts :)

If you have a PC or Laptop with 5.1 sound card then you can try this
foo_dsp_xover
you will be able to connect 1 woofer and 1 tweeter with a stereo amplifier, this can be a good practical exercise without any investment to find out the best crossover frequency as per your own taste.

Designing 2-way crossover: Woofer 6.5" Tweeter 1"
Looking at my driver's Fs, frequency response etc I have wide range where I can safely cross my crossover. What I selected is either 2.6 KHz OR 3.3 KHz OR 3.9 KHz.

So want to know from experts that in such scenario going for higher crossver (3.3) is better of lower (2.6)

since the woofer S16NI (6inch) produces better mids and low mids and for 2 way better to cross 2.5 to 3 khz max,,let the tweeter take over from then on..

what type of tweeter you have (1inch) it also depends upon its frequency response..

designing xover (analog) without getting or measuring its frequency response is like shooting arrows in the dark....

better to get its details from someone who has already tested and using them,or you can design the cabinet since t/s parameters are available in diyaudiocart,then by using a mike and sound card and a pc you can find its f/r ,.detailed procedure as in this website.

Speaker Response Testing and Analysis

then by using a mike and sound card and a pc you can find its f/r ,.detailed procedure as in this website.

The TrueRTA method of measurement cannot be used to judge the speaker response in a listening room as room acoustics will also influence the response. A better option will be to use REW software where you can gate the impulse response to gimmick the anechoic room response. The room boundary disappears and you can get a much realistic view. Also other parameters like impulse response, step response, RT60, cummuliative spectrum decay, waterfall and spectogram can be obtained. Impedance and phase measurements can also be seen from REW.

My 2 paise.

since the woofer S16NI (6inch) produces better mids and low mids and for 2 way better to cross 2.5 to 3 khz max,,let the tweeter take over from then on..

what type of tweeter you have (1inch) it also depends upon its frequency response..

designing xover (analog) without getting or measuring its frequency response is like shooting arrows in the dark....

better to get its details from someone who has already tested and using them,or you can design the cabinet since t/s parameters are available in diyaudiocart,then by using a mike and sound card and a pc you can find its f/r ,.detailed procedure as in this website.

Thank you Hari sir !
I am using Peerless tweeter TL26SG which got good frequency range support.

Hari Iyer -The TrueRTA method of measurement cannot be used to judge the speaker response in a listening room as room acoustics will also influence the response. A better option will be to use REW software

REW is certainly much better then TrueRTA,but since sudhir is new to this
measuring methods,just given him inputs of various alternate methods that can be used to find the f/r of a driver,though using REW for a beginner will be difficult,plus you have to buy a good measurement microphone,which will cost around 3500/- plus.

another useful link for simple loudspeaker designing .

http://audio.claub.net/Simple%20Loudspeaker%20Design%20ver2.pdf

and here

My First Bookshelf Project - diyAudio

Thank you Hari sir !
I am using Peerless tweeter TL26SG which got good frequency range support.

TL26SG produces very smooth higher frequency response,best to x them around 2.5khz..

i think you have already posted your query in hifi vide this link..

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/49425-crossover-my-tl-speakers-hyderabad.html

Anyway i will try to get the f/r graph of S16NI from peerless india,if they have it,

r/s

TL26SG produces very smooth higher frequency response,best to x them around 2.5khz..

Anyway i will try to get the f/r graph of S16NI from peerless india,if they have it,

r/s

Thank you Rajesh Srinivas for this great help. :):) Really feed good when get such help !

It would be great of you can get f/r graph for S16NI. I could not get from Peerless. Even max Power and freq response values could not get.

Thank you Rajesh Srinivas for this great help. :):) Really feed good when get such help !

It would be great of you can get f/r graph for S16NI. I could not get from Peerless. Even max Power and freq response values could not get.

Its my pleasure to help you,tomorrow i will be calling devkumar (executive director) peerless fabrikkerne (india) ltd coz i had ordered kevler and TL26SG from him for my HT project,will ask about your driver specs also.

thanks
r/s

Its my pleasure to help you,tomorrow i will be calling devkumar (executive director) peerless fabrikkerne (india) ltd coz i had ordered kevler and TL26SG from him for my HT project,will ask about your driver specs also.

thanks
r/s

Here is the F/R graph got it from dev PEERLESS INDIA yestarday for your reference and further use.

R/S

Attachments

• SN16KI.jpg
    SN16KI.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 66
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back