Crown Power Amp owners / Specially for integration in HT setup

This one?

Those look like their Industrial Servo's.

They used to have servo's for residential use as also specialized servo's for audio equipment with RF and EMI filters listed on their website. Looks like they have redone their websites. I also found another of their websites https://www.vertexpower.co.in/ which lists single phase servo's such as this one https://www.vertexpower.co.in/single-phase-servo-stabilizer.html.

You can call and talk to them, they are very responsive and will advise as appropriate. I am not sure whether their network is strong in the North so check with them. There were a couple of recommendations for servo manufacturers in the North on the forum. Maybe someone else will pitch in if they remember or you could see if a search brings up the post.

I use a smart socket from Wipro to plug the Amp to, it gives me live power specs on the app.
LEDs, Florescent Lights, PCs & PC peripherals are most common noise polluters, having them anywhere in the HT circuit causes noise interference. Dedicated large guage line like at least 4sqmm will mitigate that problem to a certain extent. There are many FMs happy with Vertex Servo Stabilizer, I have a Local make of Servo Stabilizer for better serviceability ; Stabilizer & higher guage dedicated line is the most important upgrade to your HT/Stereo system both safety wise and SQ wise.
Avoid the smart sockets, Wi-Fi based automation sockets unless explicitly required, They're potential culprits AFAIK.

LEDs, Florescent Lights, PCs & PC peripherals are most common noise polluters, having them anywhere in the HT circuit causes noise interference. Dedicated large guage line like at least 4sqmm will mitigate that problem to a certain extent. There are many FMs happy with Vertex Servo Stabilizer, I have a Local make of Servo Stabilizer for better serviceability ; Stabilizer & higher guage dedicated line is the most important upgrade to your HT/Stereo system both safety wise and SQ wise.
Avoid the smart sockets, Wi-Fi based automation sockets unless explicitly required, They're potential culprits AFAIK.
Our recent posts are out of context of the topic but I am sure many other forum members would benefit by the information and prioritising the upgrade in setup.

I have a vGaurd Digi200 (6Amp) stabalizer, its unused at the moment. Would it be sufficient if I connect it with a Power strip and power up my AVR + Crown PA?

Those look like their Industrial Servo's.

They used to have servo's for residential use as also specialized servo's for audio equipment with RF and EMI filters listed on their website. Looks like they have redone their websites. I also found another of their websites https://www.vertexpower.co.in/ which lists single phase servo's such as this one https://www.vertexpower.co.in/single-phase-servo-stabilizer.html.

You can call and talk to them, they are very responsive and will advise as appropriate. I am not sure whether their network is strong in the North so check with them. There were a couple of recommendations for servo manufacturers in the North on the forum. Maybe someone else will pitch in if they remember or you could see if a search brings up the post.
Got it :)
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/guidance-with-protecting-my-gears.77359/

Answers most of the questions related to Power conditioning

Now we can resume back the main topic of thread.

Some interesting discussion here. thanks for enlightenment. I have been contemplating to add a 2 or 3 ch PA to take care of my LCR/LR when possible. I do feel adding PA may help get a better sound, but again my setup is not that great. My usage pattern is more or less like Ankit though, I like to watch a lot of 4k, DA/DV content from Netflix and PrimeVideo I used to watch a lot of ripped content from an age old NAS I have using xtreamer earlier but lately I have moved to ATV4K and it seems to be doing good. I'm tempted to use my xbox One X for OTT based on what Ankit has shared.
What kind of PA I should add to get the good results from this system I have? Adding a PA would also help me get an additional ch on my SR-6013, I may add SB channel once I have a PA.
I was thinking of using my old Onkyo HTR (came in HTiB) to do this PA job, but I'm not really sure if it would do a great job at that? it has one surround channel failed and I just thought of experimenting with it while it is lying idle, but looks like a good PA should be it to make the difference. Thanks.

Some interesting discussion here. thanks for enlightenment. I have been contemplating to add a 2 or 3 ch PA to take care of my LCR/LR when possible. I do feel adding PA may help get a better sound, but again my setup is not that great. My usage pattern is more or less like Ankit though, I like to watch a lot of 4k, DA/DV content from Netflix and PrimeVideo I used to watch a lot of ripped content from an age old NAS I have using xtreamer earlier but lately I have moved to ATV4K and it seems to be doing good. I'm tempted to use my xbox One X for OTT based on what Ankit has shared.
What kind of PA I should add to get the good results from this system I have? Adding a PA would also help me get an additional ch on my SR-6013, I may add SB channel once I have a PA.
I was thinking of using my old Onkyo HTR (came in HTiB) to do this PA job, but I'm not really sure if it would do a great job at that? it has one surround channel failed and I just thought of experimenting with it while it is lying idle, but looks like a good PA should be it to make the difference. Thanks.
I should have replied earlier, just revisited this thread :)

After a couple of weeks of usage, I believe Crown Amp has not added a significant value to sound quality in context of OTT content.

Did you try out using Onkyo as PA?

I am given to the understanding that with some good dedicated power, the Power Amp should have capability to enhance the dynamics at decent audible level.

After a couple of weeks of usage, I believe Crown Amp has not added a significant value to sound quality in context of OTT content.
I see you switched over to Emotiva 5ch, are you bi-amping the fronts and the fifth ch for center?

Did you try the BASX range?

XPA versus Crown and XPA versus AVR?

Is Emotiva amp more effective in Stereo mode more than HT?

Last edited:
I see you switched over to Emotiva 5ch, are you bi-amping the fronts and the fifth ch for center?

Did you try the BASX range?

XPA versus Crown and XPA versus AVR?

Is Emotiva amp more effective in Stereo mode more than HT?
I did not try BasX but looking at the power requirement for my Front and Center Speakers and the way I felt that speakers are being under powered I took a call to rather go for XPA (it will be future proof too).

I would be posting a detailed review on AVR - Crown - XPA comparison soon, I am testing whenever I get chance to compile up the observations.

On the face of it, I can tell one thing loudly .. my setup needed a proper Power Amp. Crown did not cut it well for reasons and XPA has been immediate improvement by huge margins.

I did not try BasX but looking at the power requirement for my Front and Center Speakers and the way I felt that speakers are being under powered I took a call to rather go for XPA (it will be future proof too).

I would be posting a detailed review on AVR - Crown - XPA comparison soon, I am testing whenever I get chance to compile up the observations.

On the face of it, I can tell one thing loudly .. my setup needed a proper Power Amp. Crown did not cut it well for reasons and XPA has been immediate improvement by huge margins.
When you get the time, it will be nice if you could go into the details. I find your analysis interesting because

1. Your have very efficient speakers
2. You have quite a good receiver
3. The Crown XPA 2502 can never run out of power for your use.

If you can, please put down your thoughts on the huge improvements that the emotive has brought over the crowns.

I have a feeling that it is basically you liking the sound of Class A/B over D.

My Marantz SR 7010 should be back from the service centre after its HDMI board replacement. I will be connecting my Front and centre to the Crown 2502's. I will share my experience here too.

When you get the time, it will be nice if you could go into the details. I find your analysis interesting because

1. Your have very efficient speakers
2. You have quite a good receiver
3. The Crown XPA 2502 can never run out of power for your use.

If you can, please put down your thoughts on the huge improvements that the emotive has brought over the crowns.

I have a feeling that it is basically you liking the sound of Class A/B over D.

My Marantz SR 7010 should be back from the service centre after its HDMI board replacement. I will be connecting my Front and centre to the Crown 2502's. I will share my experience here too.
Definitely in next 3-4 days
Please note that my 100% usage is Movies and that too 90% OTT content.

Here is an update after shifting from Crown to Emotiva XPA5
I would keep it short as of now with very quick and really percievable improvements in setup.

To begin with, if I have to rank my own setup at my satisfaction level (watching Movies on OTT primarily).. it would look like below

All speakers running via AVR - 6/10
Front Right and Left on Crown - 6.5/10
Emotiva XPA 5 powering LCR and surrounds, surround backs and in ceiling on AVR : 8.5/10

That should give a sense of value addition to the setup after introducing Emotiva

Here are four most impressive improvements
1. I have always complaint in forum about something missing in my setup that fills should fill up Room, with Emotiva I am not sure what changed technically to some sort of frequency range but that filler between low bass and mids has massively improved. Sound is more comparable to that full body effect what we hear in Theatre.

2. All the speakers except LCR were least participative even though of course they were level matched using audyssey and verified manually. Somehow I always felt that besides the sound which is specially meant for surround speakers, I was not getting envelopment from surrounds. After adding emotiva, that continuous "audible" engagement of surrounds has actually improved enveloping impact by two times. I loved how dolby trailers sound now!

3. Distortion in sound and some sort of mix up was going on, that sorted A LOT. I hear a more clear and separated sound. Even cranking up volume doesn't bring in distortion. This was not at all addressed by Crown when I tried it for Fronts and Center.

4. The Center speaker is actually sounding as if I have upgraded it to something better. Dialogues are much more emphatic and sound like Theatre.

I am still to run Audyssey properly and test more!

Having used an Emotiva power amp before,I can vouch for its performance.
Crown may be cheaper but it's made for a diff purpose and would surely bring lot of distortion when used domestically. No comparison with Emotiva...

would surely bring lot of distortion when used domestically.
No distortion whatsoever that is audible. I am using a crown 2502 for 2 channel stereo. Noise levels are higher than home amps but not high enough to make a difference when listening.

Here is an update after shifting from Crown to Emotiva XPA5
I would keep it short as of now with very quick and really percievable improvements in setup.

To begin with, if I have to rank my own setup at my satisfaction level (watching Movies on OTT primarily).. it would look like below

All speakers running via AVR - 6/10
Front Right and Left on Crown - 6.5/10
Emotiva XPA 5 powering LCR and surrounds, surround backs and in ceiling on AVR : 8.5/10
Is it possible that the difference is due to Emotiva handling the other channels, with center channel through Emotiva contributing to most of the perceived difference? I understand that this is primarily a HT setup, but did you get a chance to compare two channel stereo setup as well? Btw, from initial posts, it is not clear about the number of crown amps used... hence the doubt...

Is it possible that the difference is due to Emotiva handling the other channels, with center channel through Emotiva contributing to most of the perceived difference? I understand that this is primarily a HT setup, but did you get a chance to compare two channel stereo setup as well? Btw, from initial posts, it is not clear about the number of crown amps used... hence the doubt...
I used only one Crown 1502 to test run Front LR and then I also tried with Center only.
Believe me, there is a clear difference in sound quality even while listening to any music on YouTube Music Videos in Stereo Mode.

I toggle between 1.4 and .775 depending on my mood. Today, I was listening with 1.4 with the Zen Dac volume at 2 O'Clock. Beautiful music for a calm setting. The .775 is when I feel rowdy. Try it sometime. You might see a bigger difference between the Marantz and the Crown.

I toggle between 1.4 and .775 depending on my mood. Today, I was listening with 1.4 with the Zen Dac volume at 2 O'Clock. Beautiful music for a calm setting. The .775 is when I feel rowdy. Try it sometime. You might see a bigger difference between the Marantz and the Crown.
I am not giving away this Crown for now and shall test it more :)
When I hooked up center with Crown, I did feel the harshness.

To my understanding, the PA may not be just about giving continuous high power ... there are some parameters that change from PA to PA that make them different.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back