• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Current CD player(CD 165) specs provided ,need advice on whether should I upgrade?

Mogami Cables

GOLLUM

I currently have a phillips cd 165 player(audio only) bought it around 10-12 ( maybe more ) years back. I also have a standard philllips dvd 642k used for movies and mp3

I recently bought a norge 2060 and millenium speakers and I am happy with it :clapping:

Now the cd 165 player is much better than the dvd player for obvious reasons (audio cd's) . I have been reading for quite some time that one can buy a DAC or perhaps buy a good CDP ( good is relative but something I can afford and sounds good say like marantz 5003)

Eitherways before I decide to upgrade want to know how good or bad my current CDP is from the specs. I ask this as if I want to arrive at a go/no-go decision only after being reassured it will indeed make a difference ( has to be substantial as this implies a sizable investment )

If I am indeed living in pre-historic ages and the marantz's / DAC's are far better then an upgrade is essential.

CD 165 specs are as follows:

Number of channels 2
Output Voltage 2Vrms +- 3 dB
Output resistance 1 K
Dynamic Range (-60dB) min 85 dB from 20 Hz- 20 KHz
Channel Separation min 82 dB from 20 Hz- 20 KHz
Signal To Noise Ratio min 90dB from 20 Hz- 20 KHz
Freq Response +/- .55dB from 20 Hz- 20 KHz
Phase Linearity +/- 7.0 20 Hz- 16KHz
automatic switched de-emphasis with time constants 15/50 Us
Outband attenuation min 35dB above 40kZ

Please provide your feedback on the overall query.

hemantwaghe

Banned
Re: Current CD player(CD 165) specs provided ,need advice on whether should I upgrade

had this player 2 years back
very good thing volume control on remote - audiophile or not - useful!
anyway if yo want manual you can download from

CD165 CD PLAYER - Philips Support

unleash_me

Re: Current CD player(CD 165) specs provided ,need advice on whether should I upgrade

If you are not planning a major overhoul and your CDP/DVDP are working fine, then imo may be all it needs to put new life in your faithful music companion is adding a decent entry level DAC like the Beresford 7520. I'm not familiar with your players, but I believe they got digital outputs that can be routed to the DAC. On top of that you will have a USB input and a not so bad headphone amp as well!

I read somewhere in the forum where Stan was offering waving off the shipping charges for members here. You can write to him and see how that goes.

GOLLUM

Hemant,

which cdp do you have currently? does it really sound better than the phillips cd 165 , the issue is that I was quite happy all these years with this model untill I started reading about DAC's , marantz cd players ( which seem to be overall fav budget Cd player) etc.

since it would not be poss to carry the amp and speakers for a demo , I am solely relying around the advice around here.

Regards
Paresh

murali_n

Hai Gollum,

See what is the Output OP AMP chip, try replacing them with LM4562 or OPA2134 you can feel the sound improvement , the soundstage will be more open and dynamics will improve.

N.Murali.

keith_correa

buy LM4562 here