Custom Designs by Lyrita Audio

viren bakhshi

Been doing a lot of custom designs lately - first a slew of horn speakers based on Altec drivers, and now some tube amplifiers.

Here's a new twist on the venerable 2A3 SET amp - a retro look teak cabinet. Somehow goes well with tube amp design.

Next are monoblock power amplifiers using the new, current manufacture Elrog 845 tubes, and the Japanese Tamura interstage and output transformers. Had to showcase the elegant casework of the Tamura transformers - hence the chassis layout. The circuit is similar to the Lyrita GM70 SET mono amps, with these custom parts substituted.

If ever audio transformers are voiced, these Tamura ones seem to be. In circuit, the response is rolled off in the highs, giving a bottom end emphasis to the sound. The Elrog tube complements it though, being very lively and dynamic. The resulting sound is rich and lush, with explosive dynamics.

Viren

Attachments

• 2A3 custom amp_2.jpg
    2A3 custom amp_2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 845 custom mono amps_1.jpg
    845 custom mono amps_1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Very striking and clean design Sir. Woodwork seems to complement the old world looks of the glowing tubes.

Best wishes for your endeavor Sir.

Regards,

Lifewater

Looks very good Viren ! congrats. what is the output power rating you are planning for the 845 amps ?

Hi,

The 845 mono amps will put out a clean 25 watts each into 8 ohms. Input sensitivity is about 3 volts, so a preamp will be required. Response is good from 40 Hz to 20 kHz (?).

As for regular production, I will stay with the Russian GM70 tube. The Elrog 845 tube is prohibitively expensive; the Shuguang 845 tube is quite poor sonically. The GM70 tube competes very well sonically, is more robust and powerful at 35 watts output, and very affordable to boot!

Viren

Bowled over by the perfect finish.I cannot comment on the technicals as I am a layman in technical aspects.

Thanking you,

pksnathan

Hi Viren Sir - These builds just epitomize 'Vintage'!! I just missed checking these out at your place as the same had already been delivered to the owner. Probably I can also go to the owner's place to check these out in flesh.

Amazing woodwork. Simple and elegant.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi captrajesh,

The Tamura transformers have to be sourced internationally. These were obtained by the customer directly from the Tamura factory in Japan. And, these were from their last production run - Tamura is closing down. So, unobtanium now!

Other than Delta Transformers in Delhi, I don't know of anyone else in India making quality "audio" transformers.

Viren

Hi,

The 845 mono amps will put out a clean 25 watts each into 8 ohms. Input sensitivity is about 3 volts, so a preamp will be required. Response is good from 40 Hz to 20 kHz (?).

As for regular production, I will stay with the Russian GM70 tube. The Elrog 845 tube is prohibitively expensive; the Shuguang 845 tube is quite poor sonically. The GM70 tube competes very well sonically, is more robust and powerful at 35 watts output, and very affordable to boot!

Viren

B
Next are monoblock power amplifiers using the new, current manufacture Elrog 845 tubes, and the Japanese Tamura interstage and output transformers. Had to showcase the elegant casework of the Tamura transformers - hence the chassis layout. The circuit is similar to the Lyrita GM70 SET mono amps, with these custom parts substituted.

If ever audio transformers are voiced, these Tamura ones seem to be. In circuit, the response is rolled off in the highs, giving a bottom end emphasis to the sound. The Elrog tube complements it though, being very lively and dynamic. The resulting sound is rich and lush, with explosive dynamics.

Viren

Excellent;

Impressive indeed.

I am sure these must be 'super' sounding;

The GM 70 is a good tube [excellent price to performance] - must try it in place of the Elrog 845 [stupid price] !

All the Best with your work.

I am sure you are headed in the correct direction.

The best work / thing that may have been considered is the Transformers that you have chosen. Excellent choice.

If budget is an issue the Lundhal may be considered to get the prices lower. Then again you know these things very well & I am sure will decide on the appropriate components & transformers & other parts.
Internal Transformer Damping & Vibration Control / Power Supply Regulation etc. All are surely addressed appropriately.

Some day, I look forward to listening to your 'new' breed of Amps with 'conventional' speakers [not single driver of horn loaded designs] !

Stay well & keep up the good work...

:clapping:

The transformers look cool. Are they sourced from India or abroad?

Respected Sir;

These are amongst the Best of the Best !

Tomura / Tango etc from Japan are the Rolls Royce / Bentley of Transformers. [TAMURA SEISAKUSHO]

Tomura is now a part of Wavac Amplifiers.
Hence they will only use them [transformers] for their own amplifiers.
No supply to any person - out side.

2uho1hw.jpg

The Art of Making [winding] Transformers is 'fading' & it will be a huge loss to the audio world.
British Transformers - as those used in EAR Amps etc. are also great - also difficult to source.

These are the 'heart' [& sound] of any amplifier & their quality is imperative & effects the sound so much - only Mr. Bakshiji can shed light on it....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back