Custom HiFi Rack using extruded aluminium. (Maybe DIY)

KiranPS

After failing to find a good AV rack at reasonably price, I decided a custom design
from Extruded Aluminium would be better. I had seen it used for factory racks.

It worked out relatively cheap for its size and offers the flexibility of moving the Racks Up and Down with an Alan Key to accommodate different height components.

Thought I would share it in case someone else is also looking for something similar.

This was designed for me by Mr.Sriram of Kamal & Co in T.Nagar. I Just gave the dimensions for the equipment and they designed and got it fabricated. The entire setup is in aluminium and has
acrylic sheets for the base. Since the fabrication was outsourced it was about 24k for labour and all the material.
I bet it would have been lot cheaper if I had the skill and got the extrusions and binders and cut and assembled it myself.

I tagged two wire organizers on either sides of the rack, one for power and one for signal to cleanup the wire clutter.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 285
How is it put together-- meaning can you provide detailed view of the allen screws

Can you also provide detailed view of the rods

Thanks

... Since the fabrication was outsourced it was about 24k for labour and all the material.

hmmm.
Specs Please?
dimensions: l*w*h
thickness of the stands / rods.

wire organizers looks great too. are these avlb off the shelf or these too were custom made?

Nicely done, KiranPS! 24K does seem a bit high, though. You might have got something quite similar from soundfoundations.in for a bit less. But nothing like the joy of enjoying your own creation, huh?

Maybe you can use globs of BluTack between the acrylic and the aluminium members at 8 points (2 near each corner) for each shelf to help further isolate the equipment. And, if possible, spikes on the bottom of the legs.

Last edited:
Can you provide more details about the acrylic sheets ? Are they some sort of sandwiched sheets with some other material or simple plastic sheets ? How prone is the top-most shelf for vibration ? Are you using anything to isolate each shelf / component ?

I suggest that you don't use wire organisers especially if you have more than one component switched on at any time.

Sorry for late reply guys, Just got back from an out station trip. Will post more pics and measure the sections Tomorrow.

Sbg, I am using standard wire organisers from the local electical shop.

Shivam, these are standard acrylic sheets. Initially thought that I will put transparent ones but figured that the scratches will be visible and the wires will be visible, so went with dark ones.

I haven't done any acoustic related treatments yet. I put this pretty far from the speakers so I am yet to hear any rattling even when the bass is loud. Since these are more flexible than glass I hope they won't resonate much.

The Dimensions are W=20" D=20" H=45" (3'9").

Have attached more pics of how its put together.

I have the image of the Aluminium cross section. The Connector and the Alan Screw with Nut. The screw is long enough and the nut rectungular so that it can be slid in thrugh hole without having to drop the nut from the top.

Attachments

• 20130131_090256.jpg
    20130131_090256.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20130131_091345.jpg
    20130131_091345.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20130131_091919.jpg
    20130131_091919.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20130131_093047.jpg
    20130131_093047.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the closeup shots.
Those T-Slot extrusions are really versatile and great for all
kinds of DIY uses.

Very nice rack im thinking on doing the same what size profile you use im stuck between 40mm or 60mm

Very nice & flexible option Kiran. Instead of an acrylic sheet, is it possible to use a wooden or metal surface ?
Also is it possible to attach wheels. Thanks.

Yes to both, get this software https://promo.parker.com/promotionsite/designarchitect/us/en/home

You can find pretty much all the bits and pieces here https://pbh.in/index.php/

There's plenty of companies that sell t-slot profile and accessories, as usual in India most don't publish prices, however it's worth dropping an email quite a few will respond.

Bear in mind this stuff gets expensive fast, depending on the chosen connectors.

Thanks a lot for the info Stefan.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back