customs

Has any one got a 46 or 55 inch tv from Singapore. Any issues with customs. How much duty had to be paid. Also what is price of Sony 46/55 inch in Singapore now?

My co-brother brought a Samsung 5030 46". He paid Rs. 6000 as duty.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Various items being imported can be seggregated and clubbed under each family member. But one item's value cannot be split. So if there is a TV worth 60K (customs assessed value), then it will go against one (and only one) person's duty exemption. 25K will be deducted and rest 35K will be chargeable to duty.

But other items such as BDP, Camera, extra laptop, game consoles, etc. are can be split and clubbed with other family members.

Is the basic exemption Rs.25,000 or 35,000. I knew it was Rs.25,000 earlier and it was supposed to have been increased to Rs.35,000 from 01.Apr. 2012. But the "Baggage Rules" you have listed shows the limit as Rs.25,000 only.

pnreddy

Is the basic exemption Rs.25,000 or 35,000. I knew it was Rs.25,000 earlier and it was supposed to have been increased to Rs.35,000 from 01.Apr. 2012. But the "Baggage Rules" you have listed shows the limit as Rs.25,000 only.

pnreddy
I am also under the impression that the baggage limit is 35K. But that website says 25K. However, this website says, 35K: Baggage Rules, 1998 - CBEC

Has the baggage allowance been increased in Budget to Rs50,000? Or is it only for Gold? I read in some news paper that the Baggage allowance had been increased. But did not find anything in the Budget Speech.

Has the baggage allowance been increased in Budget to Rs50,000? Or is it only for Gold? I read in some news paper that the Baggage allowance had been increased. But did not find anything in the Budget Speech.

I don't recollect anything to that order either in the budget speech our newspapers next day.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I think that is for Gold import in ornamental form, if not mistaken is Rs50K for male and Rs1lac for Female. I may be wrong also. It was part of the budget speech though. Dunno whether it is in addition to 35K or it is including the 35K exemption.

I think that is for Gold import in ornamental form, if not mistaken is Rs50K for male and Rs1lac for Female. I may be wrong also. It was part of the budget speech though. Dunno whether it is in addition to 35K or it is including the 35K exemption.

There is a diff limit for gold & other items... Initially u could bring 35k of say electronics plus 10k worth of gold... Now it is changed to 35k plus 50k worth of gold for men & 100k worth for women... Actually when my mom saw this on the news she didn't realize the 1 lac limit for women only applied only for gold... She said now we can get a 60 inch tv from Thailand duty free :D...

Also, please do not try to bribe the custom officials!!!! You can get into a lot of trouble if it rubs them the wrong way.

I have been travelling abroad regularly and been bringing electronics like high end amps and speakers etc. So far so good none of the customs person has bothered me. They ask me what have you got in side the box and I say a stereo amplifier and they have told me to go.

Still one have to be clear on the following points before bringing anything from abroad.

1. Customs have every right to calculate the duty on the Indian MRP in case the produced invoice is of under valued. So please don't try to act smart as also suggested by others.

2. Incase you are not a NRI and only a business or a tourist visitor you are not permitted to bring used electronics, even on behalf of another NRI. So be clear not to say the item is used, to reduce the value, as they have every rigt to confiscate.

3. Your stay should have been more than 3 days for you to be eligible for 35K duty free limit. Otherwise you are eligible for 10K duty free limit only.

4. Customs authority has got the right to allot the item of lesser duty structure in your 35K limit and charge duty on the higher structured item. To give an example if you bring one computer and couple of hard drives for total 45K (these items come under IT products whrere the duty is 3%) and one 42 inch LED TV for 35K, the officer will account the IT products first in the 35K free limit and charge duty on the balance 10K @3% and @ 41% for the 35K value of the LED TV. So once again to say don't try to act smart.

5. On an average what i found was they charge 2.5 to 3K for 40 & 42 inch tv, 8 to 10 K for 50 inch tv and 12 to 15 K for 55 inch TV.

On the whole I would say authorities are not interested in small fish like us as long as we dont't rub them in the wrong side, they are interested in big timers and Smuglers.

Having discussed so much is it really worth the pain to bring a 55 inch TV when the same is available here for 1.05 lakhs in grey market where it comes buy container safely. Instead we can think about other good rare electronics from abroad.

R. Balagopalan.

Rs. 50K/100K revision is for those Indian passenger who has been residing abroad for over one year.
For those returning after a short period of upto three days and more than three days, the limit is 15K and 35K (unchanged in the budget). See CBEC official site.
Baggage Rules, 1998 - CBEC

I have been travelling abroad regularly and been bringing electronics like high end amps and speakers etc. So far so good none of the customs person has bothered me. They ask me what have you got in side the box and I say a stereo amplifier and they have told me to go.

R. Balagopalan.

Hi,

I am thinking of bringing back a AV Receiver from the US (leaving this week). How do you carry your amps etc? I presume you have to check it in due to size / weight, and if so, how do you pack it? Any guidance would be appreciated as this is the first time I would be bringing back audio equipment back from abroad.

thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back