customs

how much custom duty i would have to pay for 40 inch led t.v. or 42 inch led t.v. to be brought from dubai.
The customs people assess the value of imported item based on CIF value (i.e. original purchase price). The assessed value is 1% over the CIF value. So let me explain by example:

A] Original Purchase Price (invoice shown to customs), i.e., CIF value: INR 40,000 equivalent
B] Customs assessed value (1% over CIF): INR 40400
C] Less personal baggage duty exemption (assuming stay outisde India was more than 3 days): INR 35,000
D] Dutiable value (B - C): INR 5400

On [D], the duty will be charged as per HS Code 9804. This roughly 41.492%. In the above case, it is as follows:

Assessed value = 5,400
Basic Duty (35%) = 1,890 (A)
Preferential Duty (0%) = 0 (B)
CVD: Additional Duty (0%) = 0 (C)
Central Excise Education Cess (0%) = 0 (D)
Custom Education Cess (3% on B+C+D) = 56.70 (E)
Special CVD (4% on A+B+C+D+E) = 293.87 (F)

Total duty (B+C+D+E+F) = 2,240.57

HTH.

The customs people assess the value of imported item based on CIF value (i.e. original purchase price). The assessed value is 1% over the CIF value. So let me explain by example:

A] Original Purchase Price (invoice shown to customs), i.e., CIF value: INR 40,000 equivalent
C] Less personal baggage duty exemption (assuming stay outisde India was more than 3 days): INR 35,000

On [D], the duty will be charged as per HS Code 9804. This roughly 41.492%. In the above case, it is as follows:

Assessed value = 5,400

HTH.

Very well explained by Just4kix.

At certain airports custom officers have made a copy of the prices of the tv in india.

They compare your buy price and the price for that model in india, and then they charge duty on the diffence amount.

but i dont think it happens everytime and at every airport.

Regards.

Hi Amit...Do you have any ideal about this practice at Bangalore airport? I am thinking of getting AVR through my friend, hence asking!
Regards, Manish.

Customs and excise is a central government body and not regional. All customs people have a list of CIF prices of most major and popular items.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Hi Amit...Do you have any ideal about this practice at Bangalore airport? I am thinking of getting AVR through my friend, hence asking!
Regards, Manish.

i brought one lcd/led tv last year from bangkok. The custom officer had price list of tvs in india and they were charging duty on the difference in price.
If the value of the item imported is less than 35k then there may not be any problem.
One of my friend brought nad c356bee from dubai during thanks giving offer. He puchased it for 28k and managed to bring the same without duty.
It also depends upon how you handle the custom officer. Better not to try to be oversmart.
Hope this helps.

Assessed value = 5,400

HTH.

Further to the post above, what happens if the Customs' assessed value (the so called Customs and Excise Dept "Blue Book") price varies with the declared value by the assessee/importer?

a) If you show the original invoice from a reputed shop, e.g., Jumbo Electronics, UAE or say BestBuy, USA, then customs may accept your valuation, even if their own valuation is more. But there is a limit. For instance, during the Black Friday sale, there are huge discounts. Customs people have the right to discard the discounted prices.
b) If you do not have the original invoice or proof, then it will be your job to convince the officer that whatever you are importing is a used piece and has been with you for over three months or so. I am not sure what period qualifies for "used equipment". Obviously it cannot be just one or two months. You can open the equipment, show blemishes, traces of dust, smudges/scratches if any, to prove your case. Then you can negotiate with the officer about valuation.
c) Customs officers are not nasty people contrary to what we have been told to expect. In fact, I always found them reasonable. Be polite and reasonable with them. As stated earlier, do not try to be oversmart and figuring.
d) Note that the Rs. 35K duty exemption is for your entire set of items in your bags with the exemption of used clothes and such personal effects. So all new clothes you purchased, perfumes beyond 100 ml/1 bottle, eletric/elecrtronic items, etc., basically everything can be opened up, valued and totalled up for the sum of goods imported. That is why, don't try to act smart, fight and show better knowledge of the rules. Customs officers do their job day and night. They know things better than you.
e)The customs peope are interested in big ticket items. Small/insignificant items will generally be overlooked. Hence, if you have values to declare, better go to the red channel, show the big ticket items, negotiate the duty and come out. If you go to the green channel instead, the customs may think that you are trying to act smart and escape duty.

Based on the final evaluated price and after the reduction of duty exemption, calculation is as above.

Last edited:
These explanations are really helpful.

Once customs duty has been assessed, what is the procedure for payment? Should it be cash, in which case Indian residents are only allowed to carry a limited amount of rupees in/out of the country (non-resident foreigners, tourists, the rule is zero rupees)? debit/credit card?

These explanations are really helpful.

Once customs duty has been assessed, what is the procedure for payment? Should it be cash, in which case Indian residents are only allowed to carry a limited amount of rupees in/out of the country (non-resident foreigners, tourists, the rule is zero rupees)? debit/credit card?

Customs duty can be paid by cash. Don't know about credit/debit card. There are bank counters where foreign exchange can be encashed. These are very next to the customs dept. If they aren't, customs people allow people to go to the counter and get cash. I suppose now cc/dc may be allowed.

Customs duty can be paid by cash. Don't know about credit/debit card. There are bank counters where foreign exchange can be encashed. These are very next to the customs dept. If they aren't, customs people allow people to go to the counter and get cash. I suppose now cc/dc may be allowed.

do we have to go to customes office to pay and collect the parcel or the postman will collect the payment from us? pls help kix sir.

do we have to go to customes office to pay and collect the parcel or the postman will collect the payment from us? pls help kix sir.

For importing via Amazon, UK, the parcel comes via post and if duty is charged the postman collects it.

Just need a further clarification.

In case there is more than 1 person (family) travelling. is the duty exemption combined? For example if there are 3 people travelling & there is 1 tv for approx 75000, how is worked out?

Thanks in advance!!

Assessed value = 5,400

HTH.

Just wanted to know that in case of a family travelling together is the duty exemption combined? For eg family of 3 & 1 46" led for 75000/-. Thanks!!

That isctrue. But the dutiable items may be seggregated under different persons' names/passport, so that each person's duty exemption is utilized.

Here are the rules: Baggage Rules at a Glance.
Various items being imported can be seggregated and clubbed under each family member. But one item's value cannot be split. So if there is a TV worth 60K (customs assessed value), then it will go against one (and only one) person's duty exemption. 25K will be deducted and rest 35K will be chargeable to duty.

But other items such as BDP, Camera, extra laptop, game consoles, etc. are can be split and clubbed with other family members.

Has any one got a 46 or 55 inch tv from Singapore. Any issues with customs. How much duty had to be paid. Also what is price of Sony 46/55 inch in Singapore now?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back