AV Gears from Japan

bpranay

Hello All
A friend of mine is travelling to Japan in May. He says he is going alone and not buying anything for himself.

I was contemplating to buy Marantz NR 1200 network amp. It’s retailing at around 58K in India & 35K in 🇯🇵

Is it worthwhile to get it from 🇯🇵 ? How much custom duty I need to pay on this perticular item in 🇮🇳 ? Does anyone have any idea?

Do you suggest any other amp or AV gear apart from this?

Hello All
A friend of mine is travelling to Japan in May. He says he is going alone and not buying anything for himself.

I was contemplating to buy Marantz NR 1200 network amp. It’s retailing at around 58K in India & 35K in 🇯🇵

Is it worthwhile to get it from 🇯🇵 ? How much custom duty I need to pay on this perticular item in 🇮🇳 ? Does anyone have any idea?

In my view, you would be better off buying here in India along with warranty rather than getting it through someone from abroad.

This post should help.

Hello All

Hi pranay :)

Japanese voltage is 100V and difficult to get ideal step down transformers here. So better to get the 220 to 100V step down from japan itself.

Customs should'nt be much of a hassle in my experience, but i always discard the packaging and boxes to avoid undue attention. So if thats okay with you, then you can proceed. But please bear in mind that the resale value for non 220V versions is very low in india, so you will be stuck with it for a long time.

Ideally best to go for made in japan universal voltage kit with switching supplies. These will work anywhere in the world without any voltage compatibility issues.

Hello All

Due to a currency difference of $ to and a higher margin by dealers, the prices of HI-FI components in India are 50% higher than in the rest of the world. There is no problem with buying from Japan. All you get are quality products from Japan. It is much cheaper than the rest of the world. Due ¥ to conversion World Plus, whatever electronics are sold in Japan are reasonably priced and in mint condition. If voltage is your concern, then buy speakers ,Camera and cables.

Lastly, I have a cassette deck, integrated amplifier, and HDD player imported from Japan. I am satisfied with Japanese 100V import products.

So go ahead and order whatever you want.

:cool:You can order an Accuphase integrated amp 100V and convert it to 220/240V Indian voltage by changing the jumper from the transformer and using it here without a step-down transformer.

u can order an Accuphase integrated amp 100V and convert it to 220/240V Indian voltage by changing the jumper from the transformer and using it here without a step-down transformer.
💴 💴 & more 💴 is what I would need buying accuphase. I guess I’ll break some bank before he leaves 😄😄

Thanks a ton for your suggestion.

A friend got an AVR (YAMAHA RX-V4A) for me from Yodobashi, Tokyo, Japan (brick and mortar shop) in Dec 2022. He brought it in original packing. He landed in New Delhi where luckily no one bothered him. The rule is - "Bonafide luggage above INR 50000/- is chargeable with custom duty". If the cost is INR 60000, tax is levied on excess amount which is INR 10000. I read (feedback on their official facebook page, google) custom officers at Mumbai airport are corrupt and exploit people. I also read news one or more officers got suspended due to this activity. Bengaluru custom officers are strict.

I use the AVR with Maxine step down transformer 750W (bought from amazon), 100V. The AVR is rated at 280W. The general recommendation is to have the step down transformer rated at 2X the power of your equipment. I have never noticed the step down transformer getting hot. There are more brands such as Aulten but I went ahead with Maxine as many forum members are using maxine step down transformer for over a decade. On some days I have used my setup for ~4 or 5 hours (initial exciting days) without any issues.

If given a chance today, I would get YAMAHA RX-A4A or MARANTZ SR-6015 from there as I feel my speakers (Dali oberon 5, zensor vokal, zensor 1) crave for more power.

💴 💴 & more 💴 is what I would need buying accuphase. I guess I’ll break some bank before he leaves 😄😄

Thanks a ton for your suggestion.
Yes, Accuphase is a costly affair, but in Japan, you get a fraction of the cost from the rest of the world, like 1/3 of the of the price. So NO need to break the bank; surely you have to pay iPhone 15 Pro Max 1TB Money more or less, then you can get pre-2010 account integrated into the used market.
😅

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back