Cyrus 8XPD

I am getting Cyrus 8 XPD for 1 lac.

Do forum members reckon this to be a good deal?

please let me know.

Whats the original Price? Is this a new one or used. Dont look at the price alone. Look if the product suits your kind of music and matches with other equipment you have.

100,000 sounds a tad high IF it is a used unit. I think you can get a new piece around the same price.

More important, have you heard the Cyrus amps yourself? Their CD players are legendary, but the market reaction to their amplifiers are mixed. Some call them transparent, some call them dry, some call the harsh and cold, and some call them fatiguing.. And, I also think the speakers you plan to pair them with will make a tremendous difference to the sound.

Take a audition and see if your ears like the sound.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. It is a new piece. I am attracted to it coz it has a built in DAC too and my source would be my PC. I like my music to sound neutral so from what you say I gather it will pair with warm speakers like 718s.

100,000 sounds a tad high IF it is a used unit. I think you can get a new piece around the same price.

More important, have you heard the Cyrus amps yourself? Their CD players are legendary, but the market reaction to their amplifiers are mixed. Some call them transparent, some call them dry, some call the harsh and cold, and some call them fatiguing.. And, I also think the speakers you plan to pair them with will make a tremendous difference to the sound.

Take a audition and see if your ears like the sound.

Cheers

Yes there s mixed reaction about cyrus but my opinion cyrus amp match with mission speakers much than others. It does not match with mid dominated speakers. Since it s less power it findS hard to fill the large room with less sensitive speakers. The chord cable are superb match for the amp. Moreover marantz cdp match with cyrus amp than cyrus cdp. Cyrus cdp is marvellous with good power pre combos

pseudophile, to answer your 'will it sound good with.....' question is very difficult as there are a number of variables. What is your taste in music, what is the quality of you computer based files, and so on and so forth.

As I said, you have to hear the amp yourself. If the person you are buying from is ready to let you hear it, that is the best option. If your 718s are luggable, take them along, connect them to the Cyrus, and see how they sound. Or alternatively, if the seller is a kind fellow, he could bring the Cyrus to your home and share a cup of tea with you while you audition the amp.

I always say a personal audition is absolutely essential. Though the presence of a DAC is welcome, that is not such a big issue nowadays with external DACs being available quite easily. Something like a DACMagic with a amp costing some 50 to 60K could be a better option IF YOU do not like the sound of the Cyrus. If you do like the sound, all arguments for/against are moot.

Also visit http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5668-speakers-cyrus-8vs2-amp.html where a lot of discussions have been held on Cyrus Amps. Ooops, I see that you have already visited that thread.

Cheers

Last edited:
My Cyrus IIIi*, at a tiny fraction of the price of the current range (especially as it was a half-price ex-demo unit) was the best hifi upgrade I ever bought, and, if only it would last for ever, I'd never buy another amp!

I like it so much that I would, if I had the money and I needed to, buy another Cyrus amp without even listening to it!!! (well, almost...). Of course, if I found their sound had changed much, I might be sadly disapointed.

On the other hand, I also had a CD player, which I found very cold, and I wasn't sorry to go back to my old quite-basic Marantz when it failed.

*Castle Severn speakers, another Brit brand --- and also an ex-demo bargain.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back