DAC around INR 100k

What an amazing box of tricks that 8200CDQ is. Led me on my own I-want-one surfing session about the pre-amp-less 8200CD :). Waiting for the right CD player to come along, and I don't mind at all having good DAC input for the Squeezebox. Sure, it's 50% over budget: I guess I'll see how I'm fixed when next in Singapore.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder :)

Update 07-01-13: DAC around INR 100k

Holy moly, I can't believe this. That people at Prism do work. Just had a chat received a call from Hong Kong distributor of Prism. I asked if I could visit them tomorrow, as I would be in Hong Kong. They said they don't have stock. But none the less the talk was comprehensive and they promised me to send a detailed mail with their offerings with their prices.

Fingers crossed!

Ranjeet
IME, the prism support has been fabulous, all my questions including requests to give me various profiles that I can load onto the unit have been answered in about 6 hours tops !

good luck

bro, you can't be serious.... i dont think you read the spec right... only 'toslink' input.....

Yes. If one needs to use USB, you will need an additional usb to spdif converter. There are many stellar aftermarket converters available these days.

No AES/EBU input or Balanced I2S input. But I guess many do not use them.

The design / results of the dac is quite nice from what I hear.

Yes. If one needs to use USB, you will need an additional usb to spdif converter. There are many stellar aftermarket converters available these days.

No AES/EBU input or Balanced I2S input. But I guess many do not use them.

The design / results of the dac is quite nice from what I hear.

hmmm... my only grouse is that asynch USB is a standard feature in most DACs today... and this one has completely zagged from the current norm. closes many options for the user... unless one goes for the M2Tech converter....

USB is a preferred feature if the DAC is ever going to be used with a computer, especially a laptop.

If that is the case, then ...simply count this out. It's unlikely to be the most perfect DAC in the world, so best to buy facilities that are/maybe required. Why add extra expense and another step in the chain?

Otherwise it is an whole extra piece of circuitry to add, implement and charge for, and its quality is going to depend on its implementation --- leaving some people with some usb-equipped DACs buying a converter anyway.

If it is just going to be a single-input stand-alone hifi separate, then ...it's just fine.

Last edited:
There are quite a few dacs out there which are the current rage which do not come with usb ins. Here is another one which is very much sought after. To do usb, you need to buy the usb converter.

Berkeley Audio Design

Some good converters
- Berkeley Alpha USB
- Empirical Audio Off-ramp
- Audiophilleo2
- M2tech converters

Hi,
I am currently using Arcam CD17 as source fro my MF A5 amp. and Vienna Acoustics. I'll be very grateful if anyone can suggest me a DAC to 'BETTER" my Arcam CDP. (with PC as transport)
with thanks

Because this is an end to end digital system, and I want minimum number of cables I prefer USB. If there is an awesome DAC without USB I'd consider it, but in that case I'll prefer to build a desktop system with a good sound-card rather than USB-to-SPDIF conversion.

At this moment, I am leaning towards Ayre and Zodiac. I also came across a preowned deal on Ayre. But I couldn't travel to take it. Price was good.

Hi Ranjeet, If you are talking about the Antelope Zodiac, then they have a dealer in delhi, as per their website:

Beatbox Entertainment
H37A (Basement) Kalkaji
New Delhi 110019
India

Tel.: +91 11-41403330
Mobile: +91-9818028110
Email: [email protected]
Web: BeatBox Entertainment
Contact person: Suchit Ahuja

Kindly let us know the outcome of your interaction.

Rgds

Thanks Dave. I have already been taking to them. Have some prices as well. Though the proprietor Suchit Ahuja is somewhat snobbish. He wants me to furnish complete personal details if I want the prices.

I will call him and have a phone conversation. Lets see how does it go.

Tell him you are interested in buying a DAC, not in marrying his daughter! ...Or ask for his details first!
Because this is an end to end digital system, and I want minimum number of cables I prefer USB. If there is an awesome DAC without USB I'd consider it, but in that case I'll prefer to build a desktop system with a good sound-card rather than USB-to-SPDIF conversion.
I am sure this is the right approach.

Tell him you are interested in buying a DAC, not in marrying his daughter! ...Or ask for his details first!

I am sure this is the right approach.

Wow, what a cracking idea! Why didn't I think I think of that :lol:

Did you check sidvee's for sale CDP?

I have spun CDs in past. And honestly speaking, in a CDP, transport is a more expensive component than the DAC. So my target is a DAC. That way I only spend on what I need.

Ranjeet
you can take my post with a pinch of salt :) but

The ayon CS-2s has a very very good DAC section, do not rule it out just because its an all in one unit. You should talk to Sidvee regarding how he fares it compared to other DACs he has heard
The DAC also has controls to provide you gain matching (high and low), XLR or RCA and can take USB and coax. There is also a digital vol control for finer gain adjustment should you need it

cheers

I have spun CDs in past. And honestly speaking, in a CDP, transport is a more expensive component than the DAC. So my target is a DAC. That way I only spend on what I need.

That is correct if you are comparing it mrp. The Ayon is 3.4L m.r.p.
The transport cost is all but removed from the mrp for the price what sidvee is selling. Just FYI.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back