• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

DAC compare

Wharfedale EVO4.4 Speaker

sudhirbhosale

Hi
Finally I decided to invest in DAC than to CD player. My budget is upto 22K but it must have Coaxial & USB inputs RCA outputs.
I found below DACS within my budget. Would like to hear actual users and Pros & Cons so that it would help me to take right decision.

Also need to know which DAC chip is used by Pro-Jet and Schilt?

Pro-Ject DAC - 11K
schiit modi 2 Uder - 14K
Cambridge audio Dacmagic 100 - 20K

Thanks

rikhav

Also looked at used options on hifiads.com
Many a times you get a very worthy product which is used and well taken care of

raghupb

Hi
Finally I decided to invest in DAC than to CD player. My budget is upto 22K but it must have Coaxial & USB inputs RCA outputs.
I found below DACS within my budget. Would like to hear actual users and Pros & Cons so that it would help me to take right decision.

Also need to know which DAC chip is used by Pro-Jet and Schilt?

Pro-Ject DAC - 11K
schiit modi 2 Uder - 14K
Cambridge audio Dacmagic 100 - 20K

Thanks

I own Schiit Modi-2 Uber and have heard CA DacMagic and DacMagic+.
In my opinion Schiit M2U is seriously VFM, especially if you can source it in the US and have someone hand carry it for you (cost about 10.5K).
But then I am also a bottom feeder.

Cheers,
Raghu

sudhirbhosale

In my opinion Schiit M2U is seriously VFM, especially if you can source it in the US and have someone hand carry it for you (cost about 10.5K).

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu. Apart from VFM how did you find SQ ofr CA Dacmagic and Schiit.

Thanks

raghupb

Thanks Raghu. Apart from VFM how did you find SQ ofr CA Dacmagic and Schiit.

Thanks

I could not do an A/B comparison. But CA did not wow me for the price locally.
As I said earlier, I am a bottom feeder and this bias may be there in my personal opinion.
Cheers,
Raghu

music4mhell

Cheers,
Raghu

Now we can get Schiit product from headphonezone, so no need to source from USA :)
Lucky us.

sound_cycle

Finally I decided to invest in DAC than to CD player<snip>
Also need to know which DAC chip

"There are lots of things wrong with delta-sigma DACsmost stemming from the fact they are low-bit devices using extremely complex feedback systems to synthesize high-bit performance"

Now because I have been listening to DACs and learnt that I am seeking what cannot be found (wherelse but here) I've been reading up on DACs while I wait for a ladder dac, and would like to share these two links

dac
dsd

which come from here R2R/multibit vs Delta-Sigma - Is There A Measurable Scientific Difference That's Audible - Page 25

and ofc I got to that above linky via hfv

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Sidvee is selling a Meridian Explorer v1 in this forum at a bargain price. Go through the reviews online. I use one myself and it's incredible. I too did a fair amount of research on the internet on the schiit/meridian /dragonfly/ifi/geek labs/dacmagic and although listening is very subjective, the explorer seemed to be the most liked of the lot. It is very neutral and full bodied.