DAC cum Streamer or standalone DAC + Laptop

I think USB input is not what its cracked up to be. DLNA servers like MinimServer stream music as well as USB would, and support cover-art, FLAC, DSD formats if your DAC/streamer supports. I use both on the CA 851N, and can not really make the difference out between the two.

While at it, I would recommend Cambridge Audio 851N. It's an excellent streamer and preamp. Handles all the formats I can throw at it, and has Spotify, Tidal, ApplePlay etc integrated.
Thanks for sharing your views in this. I'll check this out as well.

Don't get hung up on balanced. For domestic use, it doesn't matter.
Concentrate on the Dac and don't compromise. Your audio quality ultimately depends on this one component. The source can be whatever - all it really does is send a digital stream to the dac. Reclocking DACs eliminate jitter issues.

Hi Vivek,

You have built a world-class system so far. Luxman 590AXii is one of the best integrated amps out there, your speakers are great too. Your DAC should be in the same league as well. Do not compromise on it.

It is sad to say this, but in my experience, but price does matter.

Over a period of an year (a few years ago when I lived in the USA), I tried many DACs (at least 6-7 of the famous ones at that time) I could find from 70k to 3L price range in my system and not surprisingly the more expensive DAC (AMR DP-777) did beat the cheaper ones.

I went to local audiophile blind shootout in San Francisco where something similar happened, the members brought their own DACs in the same price range 70K to 4L (1000-6000$) price range and the Luxman DA-06 (6000$) beat the rest of the cheaper according the shootout participants consensus.

I am sure that there are giant-killers out there. But unless you have actually tried them in the same system you cannot tell, you can only go by someone's word. My AMR DP-777 that I owned was one of them, but unless you have the luxury to try them in your own system and dispose them off if they cannot beat your current favourite, they are hard to find. Your idea of spending in the DAC the same ballpark price as your amp is a wise choice.
Aim for the 90-10 ratio. I think in DACs if you spend around 2-3ish (4000-6000$) lakhs you get 85% of the performance, 5ish lakhs you get to 90%, but to get that last 10% of performance it gets very expensive (think 15-30L) and is usually not worth it unless you are Mr. Moneybags or a very expert audiophile who needs that last ounce of performance.

Don't be very hung up on MQA, DSD and streaming capability. A well implemented PCM DAC would easily beat a so-so DSD dac. Or a well implemented USB DAC would easily beat a so-so streamer DAC. Find a DAC whose sound you like and if it has all the features, that's icing on the cake.

One last thought, try a tube DAC, paired with your luxman it will be a dream.

Cheers and good luck in your hunt.

Bhaskar

Hi Vivek,
Not sure if this will help you decide as your system is more resolving than the one I have.
I was looking for a good DAC streamer and I recently got the Acoustic Portrait Swara DAC and streamer and am very pleased with the audio quality and convenience using this in my set up. It runs on Rune audio software that among other things allows me to browse my music library on a external HDD (powered). The Swara uses Raspberry pi with some custom designed power supply inside to reduce noise and interference.
After getting this I sold my Chord Mojo which I was using previously.
Currently I am using the Swara with a Naim 5i and Chario Silhoutte 100 bookshelves and a REL Q100e Sub. Happy as a clam with what this combo is recreating.
The AP website has more details. They are also very pleasant and helpful on a call.
(Disclaimer: Other than being a customer who paid full price for the Swara, I have no personal or commercial relationship with AP)

Hi Vivek,
Not sure if this will help you decide as your system is more resolving than the one I have.
I was looking for a good DAC streamer and I recently got the Acoustic Portrait Swara DAC and streamer and am very pleased with the audio quality and convenience using this in my set up. It runs on Rune audio software that among other things allows me to browse my music library on a external HDD (powered). The Swara uses Raspberry pi with some custom designed power supply inside to reduce noise and interference.
Currently I am using the Swara with a Naim 5i and Chario Silhoutte 100 bookshelves and a REL Q100e Sub. Happy as a clam with what this combo is recreating.
The AP website has more details. They are also very pleasant and helpful on a call.
(Disclaimer: Other than being a customer who paid full price for the Swara, I have no personal or commercial relationship with AP)
Hi brother

Thanks that you took some time to go through my post and share your experience with your new acquisition. Good to know that you are happy with that. Well I ended up buying Luxman DA06 dac in March. I am using it with my laptop and so far quite happy. Streamer I am not sure I would buy very soon.

Regards
Vivek

Hi Vivek,
Hi,
I found your post very interesting since I am also looking forward for a DAC streamer to integrate with my humble system (considering the top notch hardware people are talking about here).
Would you please guide me as to the possibility of hooking up an ipad with the SWARA. I mostly stream from TIDAL and occasionally from Spotify. There is an option mentioned in their webpage regarding connecting to the Wi-Fi for streaming and also from mobile. I understand that all these hardware would be connected with each other over the Wi-Fi connection. Please advice.

Hi,
I found your post very interesting since I am also looking forward for a DAC streamer to integrate with my humble system (considering the top notch hardware people are talking about here).
Would you please guide me as to the possibility of hooking up an ipad with the SWARA. I mostly stream from TIDAL and occasionally from Spotify. There is an option mentioned in their webpage regarding connecting to the Wi-Fi for streaming and also from mobile. I understand that all these hardware would be connected with each other over the Wi-Fi connection. Please advice.
Hi Mayukh,
I am not an expert on Raspi or DACs (or most things :))But I will try to explain.
The Swara DAC can be connected to your network and controlled from your smartphone or iPad or computer.
The Swara needs to be connected either through a wired connection or wirelessly using a very inexpensive wifi dongle (@Rs.500)
The DAC comes with Runeaudio software installed but I understand there are others like Moode and Volumio software that can also be installed. Each of these have their unique features.
Runeaudio has Spotify in the home screen (you need to sign in with your details-paid or free account) I have not used Tidal, but I think apart from requiring a subscription this needs some workaround.

I hope I have been able to answer some of your questions.
PS: I have recently upgraded my DAC and streamer.

Hi Mayukh,
I am not an expert on Raspi or DACs (or most things :))But I will try to explain.
The Swara DAC can be connected to your network and controlled from your smartphone or iPad or computer.
The Swara needs to be connected either through a wired connection or wirelessly using a very inexpensive wifi dongle (@Rs.500)
The DAC comes with Runeaudio software installed but I understand there are others like Moode and Volumio software that can also be installed. Each of these have their unique features.
Runeaudio has Spotify in the home screen (you need to sign in with your details-paid or free account) I have not used Tidal, but I think apart from requiring a subscription this needs some workaround.

I hope I have been able to answer some of your questions.
PS: I have recently upgraded my DAC and streamer.
Thanks for throwing some insightful views. Other than Swara what are the options available within a price range of 40-50K. I was reading a lot about recently released Topping D70s including in audioscience review.

Suggestions are solicited.

Thanks for throwing some insightful views. Other than Swara what are the options available within a price range of 40-50K. I was reading a lot about recently released Topping D70s including in audioscience review.

Try Arcam rplay which is streamer plus DAC.
You can get a preowned one as it is a discontinued product.

Try Arcam rplay which is streamer plus DAC.
You can get a preowned one as it is a discontinued product.
thanks mate for the suggestion !! I would refrain from venturing into used products... what would you have picked up something new within that budget range !

thanks mate for the suggestion !! I would refrain from venturing into used products... what would you have picked up something new within that budget range !
I have not tried other brands ; since I am using a preowned Arcam rplay and I am satisfied using it.

I am also waiting for HPZ to make it available here.

I have been using Luxman integrated 507ux and Luxman DAC DA06 for more than 5 years now and am quite happy with the combination. I am using balanced out from DA06 into my 507ux.
I had upgraded from Audiolab 8200 CD player with Quad pre and 909 power. The difference has been substantial. I can hear the clarity in music throughout my house compared to my earlier set up.
Presently I am using a dedicated windows laptop playing Foobar but I have configured my PC with Audiophile Optimizer. The result is quite satisfying.
I can play DSD into my Luxman DAC.
Now, of late I am considering to add a streamer only to play Spotify and Tidal and internet radio. I can also considering to replace my dedicated laptop and instead add HDD to a streamer. But this time I am a little value conscious and do not want to go overboard on an expensive streamer. All USBridge signature playing Moode is one of my shortlisted choice.
Knowledgeable members can throw more light on my choice and it would really make a change in music quality by dumping a laptop which is already configured with Audiophile Optimizer.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back