DAC cum Streamer or standalone DAC + Laptop

A few weeks ago i heard a Raspberry pi + SmSL dac and i liked the presentation...

Not aggressively resolving but doing just enough to keep the music playing..

The owner was a satisfied guy...

What I am trying to drive at is that budget price is no show stopper to have a musically satisfying system.

The pre conceived notions of high price = excellent satisfaction needs a relook at least in the audio domain

For all you know a simple raspberry pi. might do the trick though the Luxman wears a Prada and the Raspberry pi is a Bata !

Good luck with your search !

A few weeks ago i heard a Raspberry pi + SmSL dac and i liked the presentation...

Not aggressively resolving but doing just enough to keep the music playing..

The owner was a satisfied guy...

What I am trying to drive at is that budget price is no show stopper to have a musically satisfying system.

The pre conceived notions of high price = excellent satisfaction needs a relook at least in the audio domain

For all you know a simple raspberry pi. might do the trick though the Luxman wears a Prada and the Raspberry pi is a Bata !

Good luck with your search !
Thats true for every domain. Exorbitant price doesn't mean great valued product always

If you want to stream, get something like an Allo or out streaming software on your laptop.

+1 to the suggestion for Allo.

Allo USBridge Signature if your DAC is USB capable.

Allo Digione Signature if the preferred connection in the DAC is digital coaxial.

Both options to be powered by Allo Shanti PSU.

+1 to the suggestion for Allo.

Allo USBridge Signature if your DAC is USB capable.

Allo Digione Signature if the preferred connection in the DAC is digital coaxial.

Both options to be powered by Allo Shanti PSU.
I will explore Allo.

Why do you think that for connecting to a laptop you need the "best possible" DAC and for a DAC cum streamer only a "nice" one will do? For both options, you should get the best possible within your budget.
I think a bit of misunderstanding here. I mean "best possible" in both the options.

Some Calculations for the 2 options.
1. Allo Digione Sig - 16k
LPSU - 8k
Good USB cable - 10k
Good USB Jitter remover +/- 15k
Volumio +Tidal integration packages - > 2k per year.
So you're looking for 34k + DAC cost.
I'd prefer Audiolab Network Streamer 6000N over this combo.

2. If you change the Allo Digione to either Windows Mini PC or Mac Mini with LPSU the additional cost can go up by another 40k. So you're looking for 70k + DAC cost. I'd prefer Cxn v2 over this combo (which I have) , will add a superior DAC once the budget permits.

I have compared both options 1 & 2 with my Cxn v2 and Gungnir Multibit DAC umpteen number of times. My best SQ was with Cxn v2 feeding the Gungnir Multibit DAC via Coax , Cxn V2 playing as standalone was the second best SQ over USB DAC based solutions of Windows PC or Allo USB bridge. The USB based solutions do offer better details but the reduced digital glare and overall presentation was way better with A dedicated Streamer like Cxn v2 YMMV .

Also, The biggest advantage of digital media is convenience, I prefer using a proper remote for changing the tracks, pausing and forwarding over unlocking the mobile and using the app every time YMMV .
Also in my experience Luxman integrated Does Much better with Balanced Inputs, try to use the Balanced inputs from your DAC /Source if possible.

Last edited:
LPSU - 8k
Good USB cable - 10k

2. If you change the Allo Digione to either Windows Mini PC or Mac Mini with LPSU the additional cost can go up by another 40k. So you're looking for 70k + DAC cost. I'd prefer Cxn v2 over this combo (which I have) , will add a superior DAC once the budget permits.

I have compared both options 1 & 2 with my Cxn v2 and Gungnir Multibit DAC umpteen number of times. My best SQ was with Cxn v2 feeding the Gungnir Multibit DAC via Coax , Cxn V2 playing as standalone was the second best SQ over USB DAC based solutions of Windows PC or Allo USB bridge. The USB based solutions do offer better details but the reduced digital glare and overall presentation was way better with A dedicated Streamer like Cxn v2 YMMV .

Also, The biggest advantage of digital media is convenience, I prefer using a proper remote for changing the tracks, pausing and forwarding over unlocking the mobile and using the app every time YMMV .
Thanks @drkrack. I will go through the options. I have time to decide upon this.

LPSU - 8k
Good USB cable - 10k

Also in my experience Luxman integrated Does Much better with Balanced Inputs, try to use the Balanced inputs from your DAC /Source if possible.
Thats helpful. Thanks

Hi

I have kind of decided on going for a DAC cum streamer with following features.

1. MQA
2. DSD
5. USB input (I hope all dacs has this)
3. Streaming ofocurse
4. Preferably balanced output

I was looking at Aurender A 10 and Auralic VEGA 2,but they seem to be too expensive kind of out of my budget. Could you please suggest me some cheaper options than those 2 that meet the above requirements? Would be a boon if can be bought in India.

Thanks.

Hi

1. MQA
2. DSD
3. Streaming ofocurse

I was looking at Aurender A 10 and Auralic VEGA 2,but they seem to be too expensive kind of out of my budget. Could you please suggest me some cheaper options than those 2 that meet the above requirements? Would be a boon if can be bought in India.

Thanks.

Keep the tonality and presentation as final decider for buying a dac.
In the long run if these two things are what you like the unit will stay longer with you.
Okay, there will be ones who have good tonality and presentation and also do all what you want it to do but you don't have infinite budget, true ?

Look at this way .
80 percent of your collection will be 16/44 resolution. Rest let's assume will be DSD, high res PCM & MQA

So what would you want ?

Your dac to do all but you will compromise on on sound and presentation?

Or it will be OK for you that for example it won't do MQA but sound wise it matches or exceeds your expectations?

Think about this , decide a budget and then pick your candidates

If I were you maybe I would look at what dacs I can get within my budget with tube output stage.

Tubes in preamp and dac don't need to be replaced for many years so you don't have be worried about tubes requiring frequent maintainence.

Keep the tonality and presentation as final decider for buying a dac.
In the long run if these two things are what you like the unit will stay longer with you.
Okay, there will be ones who have good tonality and presentation and also do all what you want it to do but you don't have infinite budget, true ?

Look at this way .
80 percent of your collection will be 16/44 resolution. Rest let's assume will be DSD, high res PCM & MQA

So what would you want ?

Your dac to do all but you will compromise on on sound and presentation?

Or it will be OK for you that for example it won't do MQA but sound wise it matches or exceeds your expectations?

Think about this , decide a budget and then pick your candidates

If I were you maybe I would look at what dacs I can get within my budget with tube output stage.

Tubes in preamp and dac don't need to be replaced for many years so you don't have be worried about tubes requiring frequent maintainence.
Hi Rikhav

We all try to get the best possible component with in our budget. As you said the sound quality should be the prime factor to decide, I fully agree that the overall output weighs much more over features.

I see some problems though, first the sound, presentation is too much subjective. One might not like even a $10k component but may like $500 component. There are no quantifiable measurements for the output/sound quality. I am not saying one should completely overlook this but this is how it is.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury here in our country to try something with our own system and at our own place. That I would say real audition and best possible way to decide upon something. That's not gonna happen here ever.

You pointed out very good thing about the quality collection I will have or I have. It's true that the type of music I listen to is not very well recorded so MQA/DSD might not be too useful for me and I am not going to change my music tastes to reap MQA/DSD ;) . But still I would prefer to have this support to be enjoyed once in a while.

If I got you right, I believe you mean tubes in pre amplifier ? If so that's not the case with me. I will be pairing the dac with Class A integrated amp Luxman 590 AXii.

What I know about what decides the sound quality is more of a pre amp job not much of a dac? I could be less informed on this though.

My way of buying something when you can not see or listen the products is, to go with good brand, specifications and most important with in your budget.

I do not have infinite budget but max 2 L.

May be I will post a new thread listing my rest of the components, music taste and budget so that it's easy for guys out there what exactly I am looking for.

Thanks for bringing out some good points.

Based on my experience, I would recommend staying with a computer + a good DAC. Keep streamer aside for time being and instead spend on good interconnects and speaker cables. And on DAC, DO NOT make balanced as optional, make it mandatory in case you like to realize full potential.

Why computer? For flexibility and speed. And then, if you can, find a used Schiit Eitr because I think it is no longer in production. This would be a perfect start and you can taste MQA and DSD later on.

I meant a DAC with tube output stage .
Any dac does convert digital signal to analogue so even if it does not act as a preamp it does have an output stage.
So want you to look at a dac with tube output stage
If you can find one in your budget

Based on my experience, I would recommend staying with a computer + a good DAC. Keep streamer aside for time being and instead spend on good interconnects and speaker cables. And on DAC, DO NOT make balanced as optional, make it mandatory in case you like to realize full potential.

Why computer? For flexibility and speed. And then, if you can, find a used Schiit Eitr because I think it is no longer in production. This would be a perfect start and you can taste MQA and DSD later on.
Hmm. In that case Luxman DA 250 was my option

Cambridge Audio CXN

I'd have suggested the Naim Uniti but that is a one box solution with an amp - but that shouldn't stop you. :)

What I do not want to do is, to start with a dac now and not able to find a network transport later. I am trying to have just one dac in the system.

Hi

1. MQA
2. DSD
3. Streaming ofocurse

Thanks.

@Vivek Batra A DAC that i’ve used with all of these is the Mytek Brooklyn.
They have recently introduced a “Bridge” version with streaming and Roon end point support.
You will have to factor in the cost of Roon to the units price.
I’m not sure about availability in India, but international prices will be around the 2L INR mark.

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge review

Another option is the Naim ND5 XS2, it’s got Spotify connect, Airplay2, Native Tidal streaming & Internet radio.
Unlike Apps from other Hifi vendors, the Naim App is great, with this you wont need Roon.

It might miss out on USB audio inputs & Balanced outputs., but this is also a great option.

@Vivek Batra A DAC that i’ve used with all of these is the Mytek Brooklyn.
They have recently introduced a “Bridge” version with streaming and Roon end point support.
You will have to factor in the cost of Roon to the units price.
I’m not sure about availability in India, but international prices will be around the 2L INR mark.

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge review

Another option is the Naim ND5 XS2, it’s got Spotify connect, Airplay2, Native Tidal streaming & Internet radio.
Unlike Apps from other Hifi vendors, the Naim App is great, with this you wont need Roon.

It might miss out on USB audio inputs & Balanced outputs., but this is also a great option.

I think USB input is not what its cracked up to be. DLNA servers like MinimServer stream music as well as USB would, and support cover-art, FLAC, DSD formats if your DAC/streamer supports. I use both on the CA 851N, and can not really make the difference out between the two.

While at it, I would recommend Cambridge Audio 851N. It's an excellent streamer and preamp. Handles all the formats I can throw at it, and has Spotify, Tidal, ApplePlay etc integrated.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back