DAC cum Streamer or standalone DAC + Laptop

Vivek Batra

Dear FMs

I need your input on deciding on the following. I am looking for a dac to feed to Luxman 590 ax ii integrated amp. My initial choice was Luxman DAC as well.But I am giving it a thought again.

I am not investing in a cd player at this moment so will be streaming or hi res files will be my main source of music. A SACD player could be an addition in future but that comes with its own dac so not worried about that.

My question is should I buy a best possible dac that I could use with my laptop to stream and play FLAC/wav or whatever format or buy a nice dac with streamer that could also play through my laptop.

With second option I see a benefit of no need of laptop to stream and a dedicated component for steaming would be better than laptop. Also it would be cost effective as well compared to buying a dac and standalone streamer just my humble opinion.

My main aim to achieve best possible sound quality budget is not a big concern. I am OK to spend a good amount on this not crazy amount though but at least half the cost of the amp.

Please share your experiences on the two options.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Vivek

You may look at Naim NDX ( earlier version ) or Naim NDX2

NDX2 is a DAC + Streamer + USB playback etc. etc... tidal / apple / spotify etc etc..

of a naim NDAC + Naim ND5XS ( streamer )

supposed to be superb products with superb build and can last a lifetime...

ofcourse more options in the market...

good luck..

regards

You may look at Naim NDX ( earlier version ) or Naim NDX2

NDX2 is a DAC + Streamer + USB playback etc. etc... tidal / apple / spotify etc etc..

of a naim NDAC + Naim ND5XS ( streamer )

supposed to be superb products with superb build and can last a lifetime...

ofcourse more options in the market...

good luck..

regards
Hi MPW

Thanks for suggesting some good products. But my main concern is to know whether dac cum streamer has any compromise on dac quality that a stand alone dac would score more?

Hi MPW

Thanks for suggesting some good products. But my main concern is to know whether dac cum streamer has any compromise on dac quality that a stand alone dac would score more?

All depends on what product you choose
There is no general rule for that

For example if you choose DCS Bartok no one will complain about it's streaming and dac capabilities on an ultra high end setup too
This was just an example

This is your first stereo setup and you are lucky to start with proper we'll made amplifier and speaker.

Me and many like me had started with way more basic products so don't be obsessed to get everything right at first go.
If you try to do that you will only get more and more confused

So don't keep set rules for buying a dac or a source. I know everyone aims to get the best bang for buck but let's accept it you are not going to get everything correct in first go so being your first setup keep margin for error

Your tastes will change as you get into this hobby and once your base is set. Without any base being set how will you ever know what do you actually like

to my knowledge the NDX2 is not a compromise design

If you ask - are there pricier options ??

Answer - yes there are -

are they compromised ? - maybe not

you see everything is built to a price point

AFAIK the Naim NDX2 is an excellent product

I know a bit about Naim ( as do others ) so my information is restricted to this brand.

But there may be other brands giving good sound as well..

PS - have you purchased the amplifier finally ?

regards

For example if you choose DCS Bartok no one will complain about it's streaming and dac capabilities on an ultra high end setup too
This was just an example

This is your first stereo setup and you are lucky to start with proper we'll made amplifier and speaker.

Me and many like me had started with way more basic products so don't be obsessed to get everything right at first go.

So don't keep set rules for buying a dac or a source. I know everyone aims to get the best bang for buck but let's accept it you are not going to get everything correct in first go so being your first setup keep margin for error

Your tastes will change as you get into this hobby and once your base is set. Without any base being set how will you ever know what do you actually like

These are valid points..

Hey you got the Luxman!! Great!!

Onto your new search Less boxes means less clutter. And lesser cable search.

Unless you want to go for a specific technology based solution which may have that magical sound (or not - you can spend months googling NOS or R2R or Dac with tube output), one box solutions are great. People have been happy with either. Till they decide they need that change and there we go again!

Wav Vs flac (wav!). Is your laptop optimised for audio (err...). Is JRiver more natural or is Roon the way to go (I use Jriver).

Besides Naim there are many that have garnered fancy. Lumin, Innuos, even Limetree and Elac.

And Rikhav, as you know, this hobby is nuts and great fun. The hunt can sadly be more real to us than the actual listen - and we complain that the kids are too much in the virtual world with their Instagram and what not.

May the force be with us (fed through a good power cable naturally)

This was just an example

Hi Rikhav

What you have said is very right. No one can be right in the first place. I guess you might have an idea what I went through this year and just afraid of making the same mistake again. I am in just like "once bitten twice shy" situation.

I am not a ultra rich guy ;) and would like to keep my current purchases for as long as possible. That are some reasons I am over cautious this time.

I fully agree with you that we all make mistakes but these are bit costly mistakes and I am trying my best to avoid as much as possible. In the end I know very well it's all in one's mind whether a product is good or not, otherwise no company makes bad products barring really cheap stakes.

I post something only because you guys are much more experienced and have went through similar situations once in a while so kinda learning and saving money from your learnings.

Btw I am very conscious before spending be it even a penny. ;)

Thanks.

Hey you got the Luxman!! Great!!

Onto your new search Less boxes means less clutter. And lesser cable search.

Unless you want to go for a specific technology based solution which may have that magical sound (or not - you can spend months googling NOS or R2R or Dac with tube output), one box solutions are great. People have been happy with either. Till they decide they need that change and there we go again!

Wav Vs flac (wav!). Is your laptop optimised for audio (err...). Is JRiver more natural or is Roon the way to go (I use Jriver).

Besides Naim there are many that have garnered fancy. Lumin, Innuos, even Limetree and Elac.

And Rikhav, as you know, this hobby is nuts and great fun. The hunt can sadly be more real to us than the actual listen - and we complain that the kids are too much in the virtual world with their Instagram and what not.

May the force be with us (fed through a good power cable naturally)
Jriver and roon are ghosts to me yet. If something is roon ready or Jriver that would be best way forward.

Guys I just want to rest and enjoy a while after this spend. I will be broke anyways after this so no more confusion and itch either.

My question is should I buy a best possible dac that I could use with my laptop to stream and play FLAC/wav or whatever format or buy a nice dac with streamer that could also play through my laptop.
Why do you think that for connecting to a laptop you need the "best possible" DAC and for a DAC cum streamer only a "nice" one will do? For both options, you should get the best possible within your budget.

Buy a DAC you like. Streaming technology is moving relatively quickly. Five year old DACs work pretty well. Five year old streamers are more hit and miss. If you want to stream, get something like an Allo or out streaming software on your laptop.

Jai

To.my understanding the last line of the OP post mentions the cost to be at least half the cost of his amp

So it excludes lower cost options

Jai

To.my understanding the last line of the OP post mentions the cost to be at least half the cost of his amp

So it excludes lower cost options
Hey MPW

I am not hell bent on spending that much if moderate options can foot the bill. I think my query has been misunderstood here. It's as simple as what's a wise option between the two keeping in mind the changing technology, cost and out come. Just don't want to spend on entry level products.

So how do we define entry level ?

How do we explain a high end system using USD 5 interconnects ?

The user arrived at these interconnects after trying a myriad of non entry level / high end interconnects..

Does entry level price mean entry level satisfaction ?

Just a few questions..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back