DAC Delay !

AP@1992

Hello guys,

I own a Weiss Minerva DAC. Absolutely love it. I stream music from DMP A6 ME and the same is than sent to the Weiss for conversion.

One small niggle that I have faced with this DAC is when I play a song, there is a delay between my hitting play button, signal being sent to Weiss DAC, a pop sound and than the sound comes. In this process I loose almost 10 seconds. It's sometimes very frustrating.

Any such experience? Any hack/ remedy for the same.

Thanks and regards

Hello guys,

I own a Weiss Minerva DAC. Absolutely love it. I stream music from DMP A6 ME and the same is than sent to the Weiss for conversion.

One small niggle that I have faced with this DAC is when I play a song, there is a delay between my hitting play button, signal being sent to Weiss DAC, a pop sound and than the sound comes. In this process I loose almost 10 seconds. It's sometimes very frustrating.

Thanks and regards
Hi :)

10 secs is definitely long.

1. Once the song starts playing, disconnect the ethernet cable from the DMP A-6 and see. If the song still plays to completion, then the DMP A-6 is downloading the entire track before playing. This might be changeable in the settings.
2. If the song does not play to completion in step-2, then maybe your network connection to the DMP A-6 is not optimum. And it is too slow. The DMP A-6 is buffering some amount of playtime before starting the track.
3. If not both of the above, then please check if any format conversion or upsampling or DSP is being used, anything that could lead to some processing time before playback.

All the best :)

Hi :)

10 secs is definitely long.

1. Once the song starts playing, disconnect the ethernet cable from the DMP A-6 and see. If the song still plays to completion, then the DMP A-6 is downloading the entire track before playing. This might be changeable in the settings.
2. If the song does not play to completion in step-2, then maybe your network connection to the DMP A-6 is not optimum. And it is too slow. The DMP A-6 is buffering some amount of playtime before starting the track.
3. If not both of the above, then please check if any format conversion or upsampling or DSP is being used, anything that could lead to some processing time before playback.

All the best :)

None of this delay happens when I used my Denafrips Ares II or the internal DAC of DMP A6. This is peculiar to my Weiss.

And it happens with all my Streamers be it will or DMP A6.

None of this delay happens when I used my Denafrips Ares II or the internal DAC of DMP A6. This is peculiar to my Weiss.

And it happens with all my Streamers be it will or DMP A6.
Thanks understood :)

I would suspect....and only suspect that the issue is with the older USB implementation in the dac. If you can find the dedicated usb drivers for the dac from Weiss website, and then install them on a laptop, and then playing through them will help identify the issue.

Modern dacs come with Xmos and amanerro usb boards which are compatible with Linux and modern operating systems which power most of the modern streamers. The older dacs are not compatible, and expect a dedicated USB driver. This might be an issue I suspect.

Hello guys,

Thanks and regards
Does this delay with pop and then play happen at the start of every track lined up or only for the first track in the line?

I would suspect....and only suspect that the issue is with the older USB implementation in the dac. If you can find the dedicated usb drivers for the dac from Weiss website, and then install them on a laptop, and then playing through them will help identify the issue.

Modern dacs come with Xmos and amanerro usb boards which are compatible with Linux and modern operating systems which power most of the modern streamers. The older dacs are not compatible, and expect a dedicated USB driver. This might be an issue I suspect.

Weiss Minerva doesn't have
What cable is connecting the DAC to the Eversolo? It could be the culprit.

It can't be cos the with the same cable, Denafrips Ares II doesn't have any such issues.

Hello guys,

Thanks and regards
Have you tried a different input/output combo between Minerva and A6?

Is there a delay of 10 seconds or do you lose 10 seconds of the beginning of the song too?

Do those lights above the input selectors glow when the input is selected or when the signal between A6 and Weiss locks?

Weiss Minvera doesnot have a USB in port. It is a fireware DAC with One Optical and Coxial in. I am using the Coax in.

Have you tried a different input/output combo between Minerva and A6?

Is there a delay of 10 seconds or do you lose 10 seconds of the beginning of the song too?

Do those lights above the input selectors glow when the input is selected or when the signal between A6 and Weiss locks?
so its like the songs starts but the sound comes after 10 seconds.

When I hit the play button, the songs starts playing, than there is pop sound from the DAC and than the sound is heard

so its like the songs starts but the sound comes after 10 seconds.

When I hit the play button, the songs starts playing, than there is pop sound from the DAC and than the sound is heard
If I understand right, you are using a coaxial cable to connect. And the same coaxial cable works with the Ares 2, but you are having a delay when using it with the Minerva. And I also presume, that all the songs lined up have the sample rate. Am I right in assuming this.

And as @bornfi has asked, are you missing the first 10 seconds of the song by the time the minerva plays or not. Or does the song start from the beginning albeit with a delay of 10 secs.

If I understand right, you are using a coaxial cable to connect. And the same coaxial cable works with the Ares 2, but you are having a delay when using it with the Minerva. And I also presume, that all the songs lined up have the sample rate. Am I right in assuming this.

And as @bornfi has asked, are you missing the first 10 seconds of the song by the time the minerva plays or not. Or does the song start from the beginning albeit with a delay of 10 secs.

You assumptions at paragraph no. 1 of the reply is correct.

I am missing 10 seconds of the song by the time minerva plays.

You assumptions at paragraph no. 1 of the reply is correct.

I am missing 10 seconds of the song by the time minerva plays.
Oh okay..thanks well under stood.

Coaxial is a spdif transmission which is synchronus in nature. That is the stream has to be converted to analogue in real time. Here, after the DMP A-6 starts streaming, it is taking the dac 10 secs to lock onto the signal, and because of this, the first 10 secs of the track is missing.

1) Have you tried a different coaxial cable. The cable could be suspect or damaged.

2) The loud pop could be a relay engaging for matching the incoming sample rate when playing the first track. And for later tracks, since the dac is locked onto the sample rate, it is playing the other tracks continuously as there is no change in subsequent sample rates. So i suspect that the DMP A-6 is not streaming at the required rate that the Weiss can probably natively accept. And it is taking the Weiss 10 secs to lock.

Back